Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Choosing Bricks

Choosing Bricks

Looking at recladding the house but have zero knowledge of what to go for. Anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages of any textures/styles? The place is currently wearing old 70 series (I think) crocodile red bricks with some different bits on the corners. Not too keen on the look of the flat red stuff as it looks too much like a utility building.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Been pointed at this stuff.

90 & 110 Series - Brick and Stone SI
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Have you thought about cladding it with late 90s Nokia phones? I hear that they were a really high quality brick.
    workingman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Have you thought about cladding it with late 90s Nokia phones? I hear that they were a really high quality brick.
    I do have one from the late 80's.

There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Hmmm. Just did a bit of a search and it looks like my old Nokia P30 is a bit rare and very collectable with them going for $400 up. Might look at a cheaper option.
    Munsey likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    GM the home we built last year was in a brick very similar to the large Siver Birch in the link you posted. We like it a lot.
    stingray likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ask @Dundee he has a handle on bricks that multitask

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    GM the home we built last year was in a brick very similar to the large Siver Birch in the link you posted. We like it a lot.
    I'm strongly in favour of a non red brick Rushy, be too easy to lose some of the gingas that wander about.

Don't go for the 110's when you get the light at the wrong angle any imperfections stick out like dogs balls

Tools not Toys
    So unless I am mistaken, you are planning on removing a perfectly good (waterproof, structurally sound) brick veneer cladding, and replacing it with the same ( looks different) brick veneer cladding? Have you looked at over coat plaster options? Plenty out there to smarten/modernise brick veneer. Even a heavy textured blow on paint system could drastically change the look of the house without the (in my view) extreme option of ripping off brick and replacing with different brick.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    So unless I am mistaken, you are planning on removing a perfectly good (waterproof, structurally sound) brick veneer cladding, and replacing it with the same ( looks different) brick veneer cladding? Have you looked at over coat plaster options? Plenty out there to smarten/modernise brick veneer. Even a heavy textured blow on paint system could drastically change the look of the house without the (in my view) extreme option of ripping off brick and replacing with different brick.
    benefit to re-cladding is insulation installation also if it wasn't previously insulated. Also we live in Christchurch so "perfectly good brick cladding" probably isnt exactly accurate. In saying that, i wouldnt re-clad unless I had too
    gadgetman and hanse like this.

Due to a bit of the shakey stuff a good (not sure that's the right term) dose of the current bricks are broken or falling off the walls, many of those that aren't are hanging in the air tied to the framing but not sitting on the foundations. Note the timber framing, joists, bearers are not sitting on the broken and slumped foundations either. Insulation will also be going in at the same time.

Tools not Toys
    Gotcha, get away from bricks then, lots of more seismic resistant solutions out there. Different plaster based and more traditional board systems will handle the wiggles better than brick.

Gotcha, get away from bricks then, lots of more seismic resistant solutions out there. Different plaster based and more traditional board systems will handle the wiggles better than brick.
    changing to a different cladding system can be problematic depending on window flashings, current cavity, foundation junction etc, re-bricking a brick house would be much more cost effective. no maintenance on a brick either.

Tools not Toys
    Hopefully insurance is coming to the party @gadgetman ? It sure seems like a long time though

Tools not Toys
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    changing to a different cladding system can be problematic depending on window flashings, current cavity, foundation junction etc, re-bricking a brick house would be much more cost effective. no maintenance on a brick either.
    Low maintenance unless it falls off Are you a bricky PerazziSC3? All the things you mention are really minor in my view, plaster systems have their own flashings, and replacing brick isn't uncommon so there will be a standard solution for the windows. Any weird cavity/rebate being too big can be easily sorted with a little sloped plaster detail. Hell, you could even clad it in profiled metal with no dramas. I like brick, don't get me wrong, but it is expensive initially, and if there is a risk it will fall off, why not look at other cost effective options.