Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By cambo
  • 1 Post By Munsey
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: christchurch etc...what is the real story

christchurch etc...what is the real story

We get conflicting stories about the work situation in Chch, up here on NI, so I want to hear it from the horses mouth.
    Is there still a shortage of tradesmen (plumbers in particular) in and around the area? Also, are those that are getting work, getting paid what it is worth?
    Asking on behalf of a mate in UK.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Lots of builders have started up companies hoping to get on the gravy train and then they've all fallen over as the bigger co's have it all sown up and shut out the little players.
    Get in with a good outfit and you can do alright out of it though.
    Still plenty happening here. Lots of houses still going up. More subdivisions going in too.
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

christchurch etc...what is the real story

Plenty of work , not huge money as Cambo say big firms have the monopoly . Plenty of plumbers from pomgoliar wingeing ,sorry I mean working for firms we work with . Trouble is he needs nz craftsmans ticket to work for himself .
    Last edited by Munsey; 01-09-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    Pengy likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

One of my workmates wife is a QS for a painting firm, they have been laying off quite a few staff as they aren't getting the contracts they use too.

Still busy, I'm in commercial and it shows no sign of slowing unsure of residential but I imagine it has slowed up. Still large anchor projects yet to be tendered and my hope is they drip feed them over the next 5 years. I'm sure if your mate is skilled he won't have any trouble finding work, it would just be easier if he preferred Commercial Construction. Interesting stats from CERA released a couple of weeks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would suggest having a chat to the likes of Trade staff, Can staff or Advanced Personnel. From what I understand they would have a very good idea on skill demands and seem to have a lot of tradies working for them and not just labourers. I know of NZ qualified chippies working for them. Certainly worth talking to.

They essentially became a large co-ordinated HR / Payroll / Admin department that allocates skills so the smaller businesses (and larger ones) could alter their skill bases as their requirements changed.
    Pengy likes this.

The commercial construction industry is pumping in all the main centers at the moment. I have been asked to provide workers to Wellington and Auckland recently. Even in little old Hawkes Bay there is a hell of a lot of work going on.

I'm a PM for a New housing co , not mike Greer or Stonewood or any of the group housing cos. residential new builds will probably start to see some decline mid next year, but that said there will still be tons of work for the next 5 to 10 years esp in commercial, light commercial, civil as mentioned. Residential wise we've noticed an increase in trades out there looking for work. Painters, plasterers especially, probably due to EQR finishing, and also due to every man and his dog deciding to play at being a plasterer painter 3 years ago, which you can do with no trade background. It's not the gravey train it was 3 years ago but it's still a way better option than going home to the North Island back to way way less work, lower rates.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt