Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cleaning a dam/pond

Cleaning a dam/pond

Put in a new spring feed dam on the farm 18months ago. Feeds all our troughs, toilet water on quarters and house plus outside taps. Dam is about 30m x 30m and 4m deep. All ring fenced. At the start it was a pretty clean dam but now it is covered in red duck weed and water a little smelly.
    Boss was told to put copper sulphate in it to clear it up?? anyone heard of this before? or has anyone tryed some think similar?

box of dynamite floated out to the middle about a metre under the surface and a bloody long fuse be all clean in a flash.

@ berg243 funnily enough, I have cough..cough.. used aggressive pyrotechnic devices in and around duck holes and other places for not only good and scientific discovery, but shits and giggles also.
    I can say that one cracker is way better than a single shot fired to lift ducks at that time of the morning when they've stopped flying.
    I can also say one chucked on the muddy bank where we landed the punts/kayaks didn't do jack to sharpen the edge and make it easier to get out.
    More professional hole digging and tamping would've been effective.
    Also in that exercise the joke about the dog bringing back the cracker with the lit fuse as per the legend from the states was almost a reality with 4 blokes yelling at the dog to leave it and come back.
    Whilst not having tried it myself I could imagine that even though it would be wicked fun, it would work for a while once the water refilled it but probably happen again.
    Being a dam does it rely on rain or spring/creek to fill it, I'd say its just not getting enough circulation or water flow?

When i did my explosive licence we made a drain and a dam. Put 20 litre container of anfo in the middle and spaced out around it several sticks of 32 mm powergel. Had a line of 25mm powergel down the hill to the dam. All was connected together with det cord and we fired it from about 100 metres away. Large blast and it worked a treat. If you can get powergel to do the job put it as far below the surface you can, at least on the bottom or better if its buried a bit. Space it out about 2 metres apart, for 25mm sticks, and link it with 10 gram det cord.That will clear it ,just be back 100 metres and watch
    csmiffy likes this.

hows the overflow might need cleaning out.
    hawksbay stony ridge gelignite stubborn strainer still attatched to fence= more fun and excitement than happy hour at the local knocking shop.

Copper sulphate will probably do the trick if you put enough in, it will poison everything living in the dam, and probably drinking the water as awll. Of course when the dead stuff starts to rot, the smell will only get better.
    Any frogs in it? They are usually a pretty good indicator of water quality Fish, raupo or water lilly may improve water quality, decent wind should blow it to one side where it can be scooped out

when its done chuck a couple of eels in there to take care of anything dead that falls in etc.
    if there is some water over flow constantly going on it should stay clearer but not always a happening thing.....might just be the 18mth thing,everything of vege matter that was in there under water has turned to tea...the dam/lake opuha at fairlie was quite feral for a time but has settled down now after a few years.

Rainbow and Brown(chemical company in Rotorua) were advertising a pond cleaning agent/chemical in a recent newsletter. Contact them for more info.
    From the blurb it sounds like your type of situation is what it was developed for.
    bigbear likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

There was a heap of frogs in it during breeding/mating season.I was Up there one day and they were going to town. There was no vegetation matter under water. It was completely new. Most of the water will be coming through rock from a under ground spring and a bit of ground ran off. So there want be any flow, water movement. I will go up there tonight and get a pic

https://www.pondplantsonline.com/col...enating-plants

An extract:
    ...Submerged pond plants compete with algae for nutrients essentially starving the algae and create a well balanced eco-system in your pond or aquarium. ...

Just an idea. Have no pond myself.

Name:  IMG_0581.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  4.96 MB
    wind has blown weed to one end

don't think chemicals are a long term solution either a filter on the pipe after the pump or water plants for natural control or both. still think a box of fun sticks maybe rowed out and dropped to the bottom is more fun and entertaining for the neighbourhood just think mythbusters and cement truck type deal and you could sell tickets to the entertainment and barbeque after.
    Beaker likes this.

How deep are you drawing the water from mate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It looks like azolla, which shows your water has a reasonable nutrient level. All my dams get a bit of it from time to time,and especially the troughs in yards that are infrequently used. In the dams there are quite a few other plants competing for the goodies. I dont think it would be an issue unless it gets into your water lines
    Id plant rushes and get some bottom growing water plants in there. The bonus would be a nice compact duck pond.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    How deep are you drawing the water from mate?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    @BRADS About a meter from the surface. 40MM filter pipe with a s/s fine mesh. There's bugger all crap that comes down the line, just smells like crap at times