Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Clever Bastards Dept...help required

Clever Bastards Dept...help required

I have a mini hydro set up to power my house. On occasion small pebbles and bits of driftwood enter the system and block the nozzle causing it to blow at the weakest point. What I really want is some sort of relief valve that would work, giving me a tell-tale when a problem occurs. The running pressure is around 130 psi.
    And yes I know this has nothing to do with hunting, but then I do have deer in my back yard and my hospitality is second-to-none when it comes to helping those that help me.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

What size is the pipe? When it blocks you want to bypass the water to stop the pressure build up? Or an alarm/ tell tale type situ?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    130PSI is about 90m head. I guess this is not gravity fed then? You could have a breather but 90m is a bit of a stretch.
    If you're mechanically creating the 130PSI then simple pressure switch could be installed to shut down a pump, or even a flow switch? The relief idea should also work.
    Barefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    What size is the pipe? When it blocks you want to bypass the water to stop the pressure build up? Or an alarm/ tell tale type situ?
    Pipe is 50mm and yes I need it to bypass as pipe is not rated that high...a tell tale would suffice...an alarm would be great...bypass would not need to be 50mm as nozzles are 8mm [two]

Good idea kiwi a pressure switch to trigger a solenoid veto bypass?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    130PSI is about 90m head. I guess this is not gravity fed then? You could have a breather but 90m is a bit of a stretch.
    If you're mechanically creating the 130PSI then simple pressure switch could be installed to shut down a pump, or even a flow switch? The relief idea should also work.
    Gravity fed...130 psi is with both nozzles open

What voltage you got? I've got a 2" solenoid vv you can have for a bit of koha, ie a shoot? And a pressure switch
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Good idea kiwi a pressure switch to trigger a solenoid veto bypass?
    No power at hydro...unit is 24 volt DC...so there is power up until no water flow...I have 240 volt x inverter power about 15 metres away, but if inverter drops out due to lack of incoming DC.

So its the intake side of the turbine? Got some good head then
    Galv pipe would be good to that pressure at a guess so Im thinking you've got PVC? We often use a butterfly type bypass in ring mains with a counter weight rather than a handle so as the pressure builds it opens the gate. Low tech and electricity free. Just need to experiment with the length and weight on the pivot.

I guess you need a big mother pressure relief valve that blows to atmosphere, like off a steam boiler,or a small pressure relief vv that give a 130psi supply to a small water driven alarm, I don't know wether an air operated vv would run on water, I'd have to look at my book at work. Or a valve you can trip with the 130 psi pilot from the pressure relief vv
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    So its the intake side of the turbine? Got some good head then
    Galv pipe would be good to that pressure at a guess so Im thinking you've got PVC? We often use a butterfly type bypass in ring mains with a counter weight rather than a handle so as the pressure builds it opens the gate. Low tech and electricity free. Just need to experiment with the length and weight on the pivot.
    It's a hundred and something metres of head but has a couple of negatives on the way down...600 metres of 50mm alkathene...which I think is rated at 95 psi.
    I wouldn't have to bypass the 50mm...so what is involved in making a butterfly to say 13mm

I guess you need a big mother pressure relief valve that blows to atmosphere, like off a steam boiler,or a small pressure relief vv that give a 130psi supply to a small water driven alarm, I don't know wether an air operated vv would run on water, I'd have to look at my book at work. Or a valve you can trip with the 130 psi pilot from the pressure relief vv
    Don't I only need a valve that allows for the two 8mm nozzles?...not the 50mm

Just google 50 mm adjustable water relief valve. They do make such a beast. You set it open at danger point and point it someplace you don't mind washing out
    mucko and Maca49 like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Actually put NZ after that. Theres a bit of choice

Cheers Happy

We should catch up for a beer before summers end !!
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    It's a hundred and something metres of head but has a couple of negatives on the way down...600 metres of 50mm alkathene...which I think is rated at 95 psi.
    I wouldn't have to bypass the 50mm...so what is involved in making a butterfly to say 13mm
    Most of the gear we just order from Blackwoods or similar. Our systems start at around 4" ring main and are much lower pressures. A small relief valve will suffer the same troubles as your jets I would imagine.