Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Computer

Computer

Arrrrrggghhh - my laptop died and its supposedly a motherboard fault. It was a 14" touch satelite LT-50A (I think)

Could someone tell me what spec for processor/RAM etc. I need to do what I do now - which is:

- Windows 10
    - Excel
    - Word
    - Quickload

Everything else for my business is done in chome:
    - Xero
    - Banking
    - GIS (council web ones)
    - File storage .

Been to see the usual retailer suspects and thier advice varies between $700 and $2700 so quite a bit of b/s I suspect. My old machine used to choke a bit in chrome at times.

Cheers

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    I've had a great run from Dell. Both on price and reliability. However you have to wait for delivery..... their web site can give a good indication on what you should pay etc...
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Have you looked at the Microsoft Surface Book 2, I think that is what I will be replacing my 13 year old HP NetBook when it finally dies
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Have you looked at the Microsoft Surface Book 2, I think that is what I will be replacing my 13 year old HP NetBook when it finally dies
    Very good point.
    I'm thinking about a surface pro for my next.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Got a great deal at Noel lemming the other week, 1800 down to 1000

the wife works for a major software company, she runs dell machines. lenovo is to be avoided as the backup is terrible
    Beaker likes this.

Most modern laptops will do what you are after, but to make sure chrome keeps running happily when processing large maps / overlays etc in GIS, I'd look at 16GB RAM.
    While the surface pro's are fantastic machines, they will be at the top end of the price scale.

I've done desktop support at a number of large companies, and have had great support from Dell, Lenovo, and Toshiba. My personal laptops are all Lenovo, as I've had the best run out of them. The HP's, Acer, Dells, Toshi's all gave up well before they should.

On a side note - every manufacturers low end laptops are absolute rubbish, and should be avoided.
    mikee and Beaker like this.

i was due for job interviews in the states and the day before departure my toshiba dies on me. cost me an absolute fortune to get it sorted before the plane took off.

Rule of thumb for any new computer you buy:
    Intel i3/i5/i7
    8GB ram (4 is OK but 8 means you'll never worry)
    Solid State Drive (known as an SSD)
    You'll never swear or curse your computer again - and you can get that in a desktop (and a few laptops) for under $750 easily.
    Tentman likes this.

The biggest killers of laptops, other than mechanical failure through misuse, is usually heat. The higher specified ones tend to have flash graphics chips with their own memory, heaps of cpu memory, fast processor, fast disk, ... These all generate heat which is often hard to get rid of in a small volume case. Temperatures rise, component lives reduce and the lead free solder joints fracture. Go middle of the road and you are generally pretty sweet. I've had Acers for many years (they were initially the company that made the Texas Instruments laptops) and they have been excellent. Average life about 15 years and I haven't had one die yet. Other good brands I've come across are Asus, Dell, Sony. The worst is HP, they do have good support but the failure rate is far too high so you would only expect to own it as long as the warranty.
    Tentman likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Thanks Gentlemen. I will hit the shops again. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i was due for job interviews in the states and the day before departure my toshiba dies on me. cost me an absolute fortune to get it sorted before the plane took off.
    Did you get the job?

Have a look at some of the PC/Tech shops, the usual retailers like Harvey norman etc don't tend to have much of a range. (Assuming they are what you've been checking)

I use these stores fairly regularly, https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/computers/laptops , https://www.playtech.co.nz/laptop-pc.html

They look to have a good range of laptops from cheap to eye watering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Have a look at some of the PC/Tech shops, the usual retailers like Harvey norman etc don't tend to have much of a range. (Assuming they are what you've been checking)

I use these stores fairly regularly, https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/computers/laptops , https://www.playtech.co.nz/laptop-pc.html

They look to have a good range of laptops from cheap to eye watering.
    i wouldnt go pack to pb tech unless under gun point. global pc is now our go to shop

Found a Philopino guy locally who does refurbs and has plenty of stock so gonna go see him. He has 100% TM rating and my wife works with his so should pan out.