Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Conditions of Hunting/Tramping in the Pelorus

Aly

Conditions of Hunting/Tramping in the Pelorus

Right since I was there recently on a multi-day tramp along the Pelorus track/Mt Richmond Conservation park I thought I'd write a heads up on the conditions of the track/area for anyone who may be around there.

Especially since all the DOC Hut Books say DOC hasn't bothered doing anything in the area for about 3 months - no inspections, maintenance etc

If you're going to stay in Middy Hut/Captain Creek Hut... you better bring a bloody decent sleeping bag (or two), or your own firewood, because that valley is not going to see sunlight until summer and every single tree/bit of firewood is soaked right through. Got caught out wet and cold, had to stay that way, because no fire is going to happen down there for awhile.

In more seriousness: windfall along a lot of the Pelorus track. A lot. You either have to climb over it with your packs, or walk a well way around it (and end up in a hole up to your neck like me). It's like a jungle gym out there.

Multiple washouts of the track: In at least 3 places there are washouts where the track has given way and disappeared down cliffs and into the river. This is not mentioned on the DOC site, or on any site - so watch out. My mate and I found ourselves doing some impromptu and seriously sketchy rock climbing up over some of it as the track following the side of a cliff means you can't just walk around it. And there's some washout right at the connection of a swing bridge before Middy Hut; as in if you try to get off the bridge and onto the trail, you have to swing yourself over a drop that leads right to the river and jump to the (thin) track. DOC should at least install a rope there to hold onto in case you fall - there's only one way to go if you slip and it isn't soft or dry.

However up to Rocks Hut/Dun Mountain Saddle area - perfect conditions
    veitnamcam likes this.

Aly
    Also according to SAR, don't bother going anywhere near the Hackett for awhile... massive windfall everywhere after recent storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Also according to SAR, don't bother going anywhere near the Hackett for awhile... massive windfall everywhere after recent storms.
    I read deer like windfall unless they were talking whitetail on Stewart island only
    VIVA LA HOWA

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I read deer like windfall unless they were talking whitetail on Stewart island only
    Apparently it's really rooted up tracks and that which make it a rough time to get to huts, according to SAR they had to recently rescue a woman who tried avoiding it and couldn't get back to the trail. If you know what you're doing/looking for it should be sweet then. I did see some deer tracks on the path out from Pelorus - heaps of deer bound to be round there, perfect foliage for them.

Nice report thanks but was there any deer or pig sign!?

Hacket area always gets caned from the wind but the country is easy enough to work around windfall, also don't have to go far to be in deer country.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Nice report thanks but was there any deer or pig sign!?

Hacket area always gets caned from the wind but the country is easy enough to work around windfall, also don't have to go far to be in deer country.

Yup deer sign! And my mate spotted some rooting from pigs too. No one's been around there much for the last three months, we spent three days there and saw not another person. All those fern-filled clearings would be perfect for them haha. But carrying animals out on that track will be a rough time haha

spot fresh sign get off the track and follow it.
    There is "fast"sign and "slow" sign.
    An example of slow sign would be prints in soft wet dirt/mud out of the sun or shit in a damp shadey spot.
    Sign like this can appear fresh for a couple of days.
    fast sign is the likes of prints in leaves on the forest floor in the rain,maybe half an hour or less.
    prints in sand in a creek or river that have the sun on them and the print is still damp.
    glossy green shit in sunny conditions.
    and best of all shit that is still warm or a steaming patch on the ground where they had a piss.

A good way to check is to make your own mark next to it and look at the difference.

stingray, Scouser and Aly like this.

An example of slow sign would be prints in soft wet dirt/mud out of the sun or shit in a damp shadey spot.
    fast sign is the likes of prints in leaves on the forest floor in the rain,maybe half an hour or less.
    prints in sand in a creek or river that have the sun on them and the print is still damp.
    and best of all shit that is still warm or a steaming patch on the ground where they had a piss.

A good way to check is to make your own mark next to it and look at the difference.

TCA 101 eh Cam. Good work
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Aly

Great to know, I didn't know that about tracking before. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    TCA 101 eh Cam. Good work
    TCA?

Ejected
    TCA?

Tracking cunning animals?? No idea?
    veitnamcam likes this.

I like your version Nibblet, so we will keep it.

It actually stands for Track and Clue Awareness, but your version suits hunting much better
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

@Aly.
    Incoming PM

and NO, it is not what you lot think
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

At the risk of dragging this thread off track even earlier than usual An following the above advice, are you suggesting we should poop next to the poop so we can compare the possibly old(er) poop with the newer poop? Also if there are 2 of you hunting together then do you both poop to get a better average consistency?

Apologies in advance I just could not help myself , eh
    veitnamcam, Pengy, Toby and 1 others like this.