Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Confiscated firearms query

Confiscated firearms query

Hi guys

Just been wasting time browsing online journalism. Stumbled upon an article about a drug raid. Money and firearms confiscated etc... i was wondering what happens to all these and other confiscated firearms?

I know there's police auctions for unclaimed property, but what happens with firearms if the original owners cannot be found?

they will be destroyed as they were at a crime scene.

Wow!!! Seems a waste of extra revenue. All the other property they auction off is part of a "crime" scene. Theft is a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    they will be destroyed as they were at a crime scene.
    Presume this is the case for firearms owners that pass away without making plans for who looks after them?

i was at an arms office a few years back getting an import permit, AO showed me a stunning (and super expensive) compound bow that was due for the crusher. i almost cried and its not even a firearm and no license required to own.

The day is well gone when they allow "unwanted" firearms back into the system. The less out there the better attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    The day is well gone when they allow "unwanted" firearms back into the system. The less out there the better attitude.
    i hear you, i have heard of $5000+ air guns going into the crusher. its disgusting. hell a sawn off shotty no problems at all, firearms used to kill someone during a crime no issue (well sometimes)
    at the end of the day it was a tool used for the wrong purpose, still gutted about that compound bow though. it was worth a 2000 and now its in a tip
    rewa likes this.

A cop buddy of mine told me of a Schultz and Larsen with a Smit and Bender going through the mincer. He tried very hard to make the big wigs see sense but it had been handed in so had to be destroyed. He even offered one of his own firearms in it's place.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    A cop buddy of mine told me of a Schultz and Larsen with a Smit and Bender going through the mincer. He tried very hard to make the big wigs see sense but it had been handed in so had to be destroyed. He even offered one of his own firearms in it's place.
    Could’ve stripped the scope off it at least! After all, only the ‘action’ is deemed to be the firearm.

Yup. They don't want the stigma of a firearm that they have been in possession of later being used in a crime. Conspiracy theorist in me also reckons its their way of getting off the street as per @tetawa comment.
    When I was a fitter in Greymouth in the early 90's, the workshop I was at, was the designated gun squasher. There was an old steam hammer converted to compressed air.
    I was told there were hundreds of firearms squashed after the big amnesty in 87?
    They destroyed a few when I was there including air rifles/pistols.
    Saw 2 lugers squashed one day-the workshop guy tried to make one disappear in the squashed pile after telling the arms officer what a shame it was to destroy them but he was spotted and told to squash the fucking thing.

Don't forget more than a few people a year suicide with favourite hunting rifle, happened to a mate's brother in law not that long ago. What confuses me is that the guns go in the crusher, but gas yourself in a car and the car stays with the estate ( happened to another mate, his brother and nephew in this instance. He had to go collect the car from cop shop to sell it for the estate.)

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Could’ve stripped the scope off it at least! After all, only the ‘action’ is deemed to be the firearm.
    I've heard multiple rumours of scopes coming off pre crusher. How true that is I don't know, but a 4x Nikko on in place of something nice would totally make sense.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

yet a car used in a crime doesnt go to the crusher

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Believe me he tried. Wanted to swap it for an old dunga but wasn't allowed.
    stretch likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

im going to start a police force and undercut the bastards.
    Tommy, Steve123, Hutch and 2 others like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    im going to start a police force and undercut the bastards.
    Sign me up.....