Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 2 Post By deepsouthaussie
  • 1 Post By deepsouthaussie

Thread: Connections for a new house

Connections for a new house

My wife and I are looking at buying a lifestyle property which currently has a house thay os in very poor condition.
    Wr are contemplating buying the place and just flattening the place and building a new house, as the price is very sharp.

Wanting to know if anyone has built a new house or relocated a place recently and can tell me the costs they encountered with connections to power, septic tank and any wayer services.

Cheers

Holy shit, deep pockets? Will depend on local requirements, septic tank or active sewerage system. Overhead power and location of supply transformer, check you have a good water supply, better than Havelock north at least!
    WallyR likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Agree with Maca49.
    Our 1/2 acre 'lifestyle' block, which we built a new house on (council water, sewerage, underground power), chewed up the best part of a mil, as a 'semi-rural' location.
    Nothing fancy, just reasonably hi-spec, still spending as there are a few things that will set up our 'comfortable retirement'.
    Built after Chch, so up-specced before we even built.
    Check with council - local, district and regional - as they all have an area of responsibility, which has to be complied with.
    Cheers,

Gone are the days when I got one power pole from the road for $700.00 and then another 1k for the underground to the house and a a simple concrete septic tank and some drainage tiles!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

$15 is probably a good start price for drainage and septic if you can get away with a standard type system. I was quoted 12k down here recently.. Council regulations and soil testing etc will determine what you need though. Seeing as there is power to the site already I couldn't see it being a major cost unless the want you to upgrade transformers or something. Was quoted a little over 5k for a transformer upgrade on other side of road and new pole on my side and connection.. Providing cable was trenched and laid by sparky at my end... Demolision and removal if someones doing it for ya would be just as costly as re servicing the site I'd imagine.?? You've. Just gotta spend a few hours making phone calls etc I'd say..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    longrange308 and Maca49 like this.

Water tanks. I'd go concrete and 2 of them which would be best part of 10k and a good pump about $800-$1000
    Services will be the cheapest part of a build!!

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    JoshC likes this.

Make sure you size your supply line to the house correctly for the amount of water you need to deliver, a good pump will be no good through a small supply pipe, a common design fault I see a lot of.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks guys awesome replies. Have been going through an extremely long painful process of buying a place, and amazed at how after 5 months of us waiting we are expected to be making decisions in a few days.
    Place has a brand new 25,000l plastic tank and a new water pump, septic is an old style concrete one with a field drain, so hopefully if we were to build new could just replace old septic with a new tank (if even needed to replace at all). The house is a dog/lemon (have nicknamed it crapshack). But the value for the plot of land alone is almost worth the asking price on the property. Wish the vendor wasn't such an ass and give us more time to think it over.

I'm just in the process of building, I just laid a 100m undergound three phase power and phone cable yesterday to the site for about $1500, probably a bit less, but I did it all myself

Septic 15K, you'll want an extra watertank, they're only about 2.8k delivered I think.

I've got 50m of 16mm copper three phase NS cable sitting here that I just pulled out of the ground because the engineers fuked up and we had to move our house site, never even been hooked up. Had to switch to bigger cable to go 100m.

New build then you will need a new septic system even if the old one is still ok. If you can convince council that your build is adding to existing you should be ok with whatever connections currently exist and avoid at least some of the consent dance process.

Anywhere around here needs an eco sewage system, $24+k I think