Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    SiB

Consent to Import!

NZ Customs seized my "flick" knife I purchased online ex China. It was labelled "assisted opening" which I thought might be OK.

I popped along to my local (and very helpful) AO to complete the application for the permit.

I had prepared a letter stating why I wanted this item, with of course copies of the customs letter, the webpage of the knife in question, and of course my FAL.

Not a mission to do the paperwork and we are now awaiting a decision from Wellington!

I thought I'd share in case any of you have had inklings to order something from overseas which might be prohibited....

Worst case scenario I'm down by $14 (the cost of the knife). I'll keep you posted!

Ejected
    Ok, got a couple of questions. Feel free to ignore them of course.

Why would anyone need this type of knife? And why does it involve your FAL?

New Zealand Customs Service : Prohibited items

Offensive weapons

Approval from the Police is required under the Customs Import Prohibition Order 2014 to import the following offensive weapons:

Knuckle-dusters, knives incorporating knuckle-dusters, swordsticks, and any weapon disguised to give the appearance of another article.
    Any knife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife (sometimes known as a flick knife or flick gun).
    Any knife having a blade that is released from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force, and that, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device (sometimes known as a gravity knife or butterfly knife).
    With the exception of any folding pocket knife with a blade less than 10 cm in length, any knife that:
    is designed for ease of concealment on the person
    has a double-edged blade that is designed or suitable for stabbing or throwing (as opposed to cutting).
    Any knife of the kind sometimes known as urban skinner, terminator, black eagle, black dagger or throwing knife.
    Just because some shop will take your money to buy something doesn't make it legal to bring into New Zealand. And no, this isn't a new law.

edit: Why would your AO need to sign the import permit for a flick knife ???
    Last edited by Kscott; 24-09-2015 at 05:46 PM.

AO is the conduit for all consents/permits to import - restricted weapons, firearms, firearms parts etc, all they do is endorse it (or not). Applications then get sent away to Police National HQ in wellington, turn around time of up to 6 months. FAL has nothing to do with it for restricted weapons, it is just an accepted/ preferred form of photo ID (as they already have your current address etc on file)

SiB
    I bought it online

As per previous FAL simply helps my ID etc

Need it? Who said I needed it? I wanted it because of the specs of the blade.

I honestly didn't realise it was spring-loaded in some way until the letter arrived from customs. I've said I'll be quite happy to disable the spring-assist function

non
    I saw a knife on trademe, but I knew they were marking it up. They wanted $80 but the same knife was on various chinese sites and on ebay, in china for about $11 - free shipping. So I ordered it. Then I get the customs notice. I tried to argue that they must be legal as they already sell them in country. The bloke suggested I just buy mine from him. Go figure! at the end of the argument, his attitude was we police the boarders and that's it.

Surely that's like saying if a cop saw a bunch of criminals in a boat with guns and a sack of money after robbing a bank, he'd stop and go "ah, job for the navy"