Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Convince me to move to Auckland

Convince me to move to Auckland

Opportunity to begin my dream career but will most likely have to move to Auckland to get the position. Currently live in Canterbury and itís where all my family and friends are. How bad is it really?

I won't trot out the joke about the best view in Auckland..

Life is what you make it I guess and often earning a decent living is the top priority

The fishing is great and plenty of hunting within a couple of hours drive but the traffic does suck
    WallyR likes this.
    If there is lead in the air there is hope

and
    it costs a fortune to buy or rent a house so the job better pay big
    Pointer and Steve123 like this.

I currently live in Dunedin - love it down here and I'm close to some good hunting. In two weeks though we're moving back up to Wellington because of work. I got a new job which means my wife doesn't have to work anymore (life of Riley!) so can concentrate on the kids. I think @6x47 is right - life is what you make of it. Auckland has many benefits and negatives, as does any big city. Personally I'd give it a go - I always do, because the last thing you want is to be sat at home in Canterbury in 10 years time thinking 'shit - I should have done it...'. If you go and it doesn't work out, at least you gave it a shot and Canterbury will always be there if that does happen... Good luck man!
    308, WallyR and norsk like this.

Don't.
    Pointer, Savage1, Happy and 9 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I spent three years commuting and staying in Auckland Monday - Thursday big money but wasn't worth it in the end traffic drove me around the twist it is as bad as they say stay where you are lifestyle choices are important
    Kiwi Greg and Beaker like this.

Hope you have a 7mm-08

Born & breed in Christchurch, lived in Auckland the past 25 years, wouldn't live anywhere else actually.

Less earthquakes, more humidity excellent fishing both coasts, crap commuting, dropping house prices, and juat like yogurt, a" vibrant and diverse culture".
    I lived there or thereabouts for 40 years and enjoy going for a visit every now and then but wouldnt want to live there now.

Ejected
    Dream career? Why wouldn't you give it a shot.
    I love Auckland, well I love the Hibiscus coast where I grew up and lived/own a home. Use to do the commute from there to Auckland airport. It does draw thin and drivers and traffic are a big stress but honestly that's the only real stress.

If you can live near where you will be working if it's a nice enough area and affordable (do not compare to Canterbury as they aren't the same places/economies) then that stress is reduced. Heaps of good fishing, great beaches, walks cafes etc (everything you could ask for). Hunting is a good few hours drive but all part of the adventure or a short flight away.

I'm not really a guy who likes cities but there's definitely worse cities to live in. Traffic in L.A is as bad if not worse with more psychotic drivers for example.

I think it's all about attitude though. If you go into it with this fuck Auckland and it's big city mentality you're going to hate it from the get go.

What's the job out of curiosity?
    Ryan, 308, Beaker and 2 others like this.

Shit I wont even go up from Tauranga on the weekend, Son in law lives in Tauranga an commutes twice a week, working the rest of the time from home. Big Bucks attract
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Give it a go live your life not your excusses
    Maca49, Beaker, WallyR and 2 others like this.

Name:  IMG-20180305-WA0028.jpeg
Views: 381
Size:  1.56 MB two nights ago 15min drive 5 min walk, aucklands food is amazing the gulf fishing is near the best in the country traffic is what is, just as shit in tauranga
    Tuckerbox likes this.

Auckland ??
    Somewhere in Asia isn't it - so you will need new citizenship etc

Seriously - if your young (as in -35) and its a golden opportunity - take it as a fill in and step up and get out mid 45 and still have 20 years fit life to hunt the South again

Daughter lives there - shes 34 and pumping out the coin - but she is under huge stress and continual pressure to do better etc
    She will burn out - still not started kids yet (so I still a 61yr old non granddad)
    sako75, WallyR and Tuckerbox like this.

I recently turned down a large promotion myself because it meant moving to Hamilton.
    I thought I could be on my death bed in X years time and I sure as shit won't be thinking "I wish I had worked just a bit more". Staying where I am means less money but gives me more time to be with my boy as he grows up and get him stuck into the outdoors and not an Xbox.