Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

A coroners suggestions today

The coroner in the Rosemary Ives shooting Coronial Hearing has made some strong suggestions today. Below are some excepts from a Herald article.

Rotorua Coroner Dr Wallace Bain today has called for the Law Commission and the Government to "urgently investigate" the rules and regulations applying to hunting deaths. For those who failed to properly identify targets, he called for harsher penalties.

"Whether in order to emphasise the extreme seriousness of hunters shooting dead other human beings because their targets have not been properly identified, the time has come that the more appropriate charge should be manslaughter."

As Dr Bain earlier detailed in previous findings into the hunting death of William Gillies, he further recommended that "careful consideration be given to making offences in hunting situations, ones of strict liability so that the hunters have to establish that they have complied to the appropriate standards required with the Arms Act and the Arms Code".

Spotlighting on any land to which the public had access should be a specific offence, he said.

Dr Bain also recommended more education and messages to hunters over the obligations under the Arms code and general firearms safety and hunter training.

This should place "special emphasis" upon the identification of targets and the risks highlighted with snap shooting, buck fever and the use of high-powered telescopic sights, he said.

Further, he wanted hunting laws to make it clear that "associates and those involved in a joint hunting enterprise, such has occurred here, should have culpability either the same as the principal offender (shooter) or at a far higher level than occurred in this case".
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

"associates and those involved in a joint hunting enterprise, such has occurred here, should have culpability either the same as the principal offender (shooter) or at a far higher level than occurred in this case".

YES
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

#solidfrontaxle

AIRGUN101.COM

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    "associates and those involved in a joint hunting enterprise, such has occurred here, should have culpability either the same as the principal offender (shooter) or at a far higher level than occurred in this case".

YES
    +1

Sorry I don't understand, is he saying that people in the party should get the same pentalty as the shooter?

I think with such low repurcussions that this seems like an awfly easy way to commit murder...
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

YES

As long as they also apply the same rules to intoxicated drivers and such like (alcohol and other drugs). No excuses. If you choose to partake then you have made a choice and should not have the subsequent state obtained provide a reason for a lesser charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Sorry I don't understand, is he saying that people in the party should get the same pentalty as the shooter?

I think with such low repurcussions that this seems like an awfly easy way to commit murder...
    The coroner isn't saying what the penalty should be simply that in the case where your retardedmates are driving the vehicle and pointing the spotlight for you then they are as equally at fault as the one who pulls the trigger and should be treated as such. There has been a few cases that should have been bumped up to manslaughter and the law does allow that it's just they don't.
    Besides there are easier ways to kill someone and get away with it, and none of them require dive boots!

Roger, Barefoot. lol @ boots comment!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

dunno if i agree with that, person pulling the trigger has the main responsibility to identify beyond all doubt, not the driver

Yep trigger pullers the capt he shold go down , him and him alone
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Clearly it would need to be treated on a case by case basis but the coroner was using the Ives case as an example where basically all the people in the vehicle had contributed in some way - choosen to spotlight in a public area, near a known campsite/s, none of them were able to correctly identify a large object 25m away. In such a case I would have no problem in a charge of manslaughter for the one behind the trigger and lesser charges for everyone else. Afterall thats what the manslaughter charge is for, causing the unintended death of another human. If I shot someone (god forbid) I would turn around and tell the cops thats what I should be charged with.

i agree with dave the person who pulls that trigger thats where the buck stops really. thats the way it has to be even if the person has a bunch of mates with him. It also should be a complosary manslaughter charge because that is what it is!

If you aim and fire its a deliberate act.
    Incorectly identifying the target,pass threw,ricochet,someone or something getting in the line of fire is something else.

I agree sentencing should be tougher.

In the case of the school teacher shooting imagine if you will the shooter was out on his first spotlight with older "experienced" guys who told him "its a deer bloody shoot it"
    Who should take the fall then? not the shooter in that case.

Dougie. The night you got your stag you may recall me mentioning often seeing them there but having no shot due to the background or rather lack of it approaching from the other direction. If we had come up that way and I set you up on a shot and told you to shoot(which of course I wouldn't have), you not knowing the property and weather there was a safe backdrop I assume would have taken my advice? If that shot as unlikely as it is went somewhere unintended and did something terrible who should be at fault and suffer the consequences? Not you IMO.. You were at that stage unlicensed under my direct supervision and following my direction.

Cant allways pin it on the shooter.But yes harsher penaltys 2c
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Yup definately seeing your point!