Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 3 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Courier requirement

Courier requirement

So with all the wonderful happens going on with courier companies a made an enquiry to nzta....

Their response:
    Thank you for your enquiry.

If you are operating a vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of no more than 3500kg and you are only transporting goods, not passengers for hire or reward, then no TSL or endorsements are required. You will only need a dangerous goods (D) endorsement if you intend to transport dangerous goods for direct hire or reward.

We have a dangerous goods endorsement factsheet available that you may find useful: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/reso...dorsements.pdf .

If the vehicle's GVM is under 3500kg and you are transporting goods only, the vehicle will not require a Certificate of Fitness and its registration usage can remain as private passenger or other standard goods

Business opportunity there for someone, was seriously considering it but have been working 10months with 5days off (that 5total, no such thing as public holidays or weekends in my life) decided I just can't be bothered trying to make a go of it
    dannyb likes this.

@223nut I'm sure someone will fill the vacuum

Good semi retirement job with the up side of meeting lots of like minded folk

I'm looking for a gun part runner from the USA

I'm also thinking about contacting the U.S. business who have declined to send to NZ that they are part of the problem if they don't make an effort to help us !
    Matt2308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post

I'm also thinking about contacting the U.S. business who have declined to send to NZ that they are part of the problem if they don't make an effort to help us !
    Am actually considering that right now, (dedicated gun courier) have the resources and position to do it - but there are a few fish hooks most will not click to straight of the bat, but it does have possibilities.
    Tommy, Pete_D and dannyb like this.

Depends if you're going to do it to make a living, or just to be a GC and provide a service. It would have to be a weekly thing, or else costs would kill it. Minimum of 10ish guns per run to be viable, and you wouldn't want to go to far off the beaten track.
    Costs around 60ish cents per km to run a vehicle so the costs are up there, unless you include other deliveries. Could also become a marked vehicle for the undesirable opurtunest
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Would need the commercial stores to make it viable .. I imagine they would be happy to have a reliable service available to them and be happy to pay a bit more for a dependable service

Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

It might be viable if you team up with a few forum members localised in each main regions. Driving Kaitaia to invercargill even every two weeks in a small van would quickly become boring I think

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Would need the commercial stores to make it viable .. I imagine they would be happy to have a reliable service available to them and be happy to pay a bit more for a dependable service
    How are the stores taking delivery of firearms now?, or is it one rule for them and another for us ?

B

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    How are the stores taking delivery of firearms now?, or is it one rule for them and another for us ?

B
    Toll are carting for G/City.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Toll are carting for G/City.
    Double standards then, I’ve seen a letter from them to a mate stating “ Toll Global Exprees will no longer be transporting firearms in our network”

Arsewipes.

B

Also in the process of looking into it. Think we may have a way of getting across the ditch. On the face of it it would be a hard one to make pay but we're continuing to look into it. Talking to a couple of big suppliers it's really only powder and to a smaller extent loaded ammo where the problem lies. Considering what the big boys spend on couriers they are expecting after some internal reviews; ie, why is our turn over dropping like a stone. They are highly likely going to be back to carrying pretty much as before all be it probably not to private addresses anymore. Moving rifles around by the bigger companies doesn't seem to be to much of a problem just yet. As stated above a tie with one or more bigger chains/stores and it could be all go. We could very well have the across the ditch set up and running regardless as we have other products we may be bringing across ,so if for some reason once the dust settles and the couriers don't play ball we will be in a position to perhaps facilitate a north-south run at some sort of competitive price. We wouldn't be doing general freight so not an easy road to make work.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post

To be honest, the U.S. businesses wont care if they don't ship to NZ
    We are a very small customer base, and some wont ship to NZ cause of the State Dept issues and permits. Plenty of companies have never shipped here because of that reason.
    You cant blame them for not wanting to jump through the hoops with the State Dept.

They will simply reply with, that's unfortunate, but we will no longer be shipping to New Zealand.

Numrich used to, but then stopped. And that was maybe 6 or 7 years ago. That was because of the State Department.

And even if they did want to help, the rate the government is progressing, it will be passed into law before they could help.