Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Paddy79
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: Culture, What is it?

Culture, What is it?

What is culture to you?
    Some say hunting is a way of life others say its not and that religion is a culture
    To me Culture is the norms of what goes on in your life, if its normal for you to hunt a lot then that is a part of your culture
    If your family sits down every night at 6pm for dinner, Then that is a part of your culture.
    Music art technology cars guns surfing etc
    Even domestic violence is a culture because in some families domestic violence is the norm, and it happens a lot.

So to all those who think hunting is not a way of life, that it is not a normal way of life or a culture, just think about what you and your family normally do.
    Because what you do is a part of you and is a part of your own culture.
    Liberty or Death

Good subject. By the way I realised that, WE, as hunters/shooters are becoming an oppressed minority. (6% of the population). Should we make an appeal at the UN in New York to get delivered from our tyrannical government?
    Joke aside, sorry to high jack your post.

At least in part of the definition.....

"The ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society."

And...

"The attitudes and behaviour characteristic of a particular social group."

By this alone, hunting IS a culture and not only that without the culture of hunting we may have never advanced beyond a certain point (or would have done much slower).

Loads of research around human brain development and associated increase in intelligence relating to primitive humans hunting and therefore gains in protein and fats required for said brain development. Check it out don't take my word for it.

Therefore without hunting as a culture we may have never ended up with the Kardashians.

But seriously....maybe no great artists, musicians, thinkers, etc. At the very least we would not have the world we have now without hunting cultures all over the globe. And by the way, those cultures all developed independently (at least until widespread migration).

Sorry for the sermon, but hunting is part of MY culture. And yours, whether you believe it or not.

MB
    Agree with all of the above, but no one should think their culture is everyone's culture. As Friwi says, we are a minority. The urbanised, latte-drinking (I don't mean 7mm08 owners!) New Zealanders are as far away from the hunting and fishing fraternity as anyone else in the developed world. Even in the cosmopolitan metropolis of Whangarei, I often get blank looks when I tell people that I've been hunting, or preparing some animal or another for the kitchen.

Its something they make yogurt with
    Tussock likes this.