Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Decent firearm magazine subscriptions?

Decent firearm magazine subscriptions?

Any recommendations for decent subscriptions? For history, shooting and firearms in general (not hunting). My Bullshooter is appreciated but not very interesting (mostly ads anyway).

Also, does anyone get a subscription shipped directly from the US? Cost effective?

Used to get RIFLE, HANDLOADER, and PRECISION SHOOTER direct from USA. The first two are available in newsagents here but much cheaper to get direct.

Got sick of too many pistol stories in Handloader. Rifle, like a lot of them just regurgitate stories. How many times do you wish to be told that the 03 Springfield was the greatest. Canned them both and now only buy locally if there is an article of interest.

Precision Shooter was a good technical mag but they went broke half way thru my annual subcription period!

Get NZ Guns And Hunting but it has gone formulaic which I guess meets their commercial target. Started out with good intentions but mostly now just a hunting rag. And if you want a local hunting mag (yeah I know you said no hunting) there is a far better one out there.

Also a member of NZ Antique Arms - they put out a good monthly journal.
    Last edited by zimmer; 11-06-2017 at 09:20 AM.

I got given an American mag called recoil.
    it had a good amount of reading I enjoy which is lr and tech stuff as well as an interview with todd hodnett.
    I havn't got around to getting another yet though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

i have to admit nz guns and hunting has taken a bit of a nose dive from the early days

If you join the NRA you get 12 American Hunter or American Rifleman magazines a year. Costs $45 USD a year. They also send you a free baseball cap. If you go to the US you can also get discounts on various goods and services with it.
    mikee and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have to admit nz guns and hunting has taken a bit of a nose dive from the early days
    Back before I had the interwebs I used to really look forward to the multipage right ups on historical military weapons, and the technical articles. IMO gun rags are largely redundant with ready access to the internet. Better and more comprehensive info is just a google search away. They will go the way of the VHS, DVD etc - made obsolete by the net.
    Ryan and Sh00ter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Back before I had the interwebs I used to really look forward to the multipage right ups on historical military weapons, and the technical articles. IMO gun rags are largely redundant with ready access to the internet. Better and more comprehensive info is just a google search away. They will go the way of the VHS, DVD etc - made obsolete by the net.
    I agree with Beavis, I much prefer reading a magazine to looking at a computer or other device but with forums and websites I don't see the point of subscriptions anymore, although it might be worth picking up the odd magazine for an article.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've joined the NRA via the Hickok45 landing page and asked for the Shooting Illustrated mag subscription in print. Apparently members get a free NRA bag too, but I figure they probably won't send that overseas!

Cheers

@gonetropo, @zimmer,

What would you prefer to see in the NZ Guns and Hunting magazine out of interest?

And yes I write the occasional article for them but still i would be keen to hear what articles you guys would like to see more of.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I used to get Americn Rifleman sent to me for a few years, wasn't that costly, however gave up on it when there were too many black guns being reviewed
    Just not my thing
    Have NZ guns since first issue but stopped that as well a year or so ago
    Just got to be same old sameo as the other hunting magazines, again not my thing.
    I just buy off the shelf now if I see something I want to read, that is something I want to pay 8-12$ for.
    I'd go back to NZ guns {and Hunting} if they went back to what they started as. Something more like what "Guns Australia" is about and they used to be.
    Last edited by jakewire; 11-06-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    zimmer likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

@mcdeee They sent me two baseball caps for free to NZ. You may well get your bag!

Fulla
    I like the "handloader, special varmint edition" that's, about all I look for in the book stores. But they are far and few between.

World of Firepower - when I could get my hands on it, was my go-to. Admittedly, probably not applicable to most NZHS subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    @gonetropo, @zimmer,

What would you prefer to see in the NZ Guns and Hunting magazine out of interest?

And yes I write the occasional article for them but still i would be keen to hear what articles you guys would like to see more of.
    I'd prefer if NZ Guns went back to the format when Glenn Rangiua was there. Heaps of pistol articles with a bit of technical n some hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk