Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By P38
  • 3 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By keneff

Thread: display firearms ....

display firearms ....

ok gents , who actually knows ( I will check with AO if I don't get any joy here) whats the legality around giving someone a non firing firearm for display , ie above fire place etc etc .... firing pin removed ..... is there something I have to do to it to make it even more unfirable .... ie weld plug in barrel? can I even do it ? this person does not have a fal ......how do RSA's display guns legally ?
    cheers
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

P38
    Stumpy

Best ask the AO just to be sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    R93, Beaker and stumpy like this.

Just consider that even a display fireman must be securely mounted. If stolen and presented in public, folks wouldn't know/see that the barrel is plugged and bolt welded down. Just in the heat of the moment people will see a GUN.

Im pretty sure once a firearm, always a firearm and all normal rules apply re licenses and storage are concerned

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If just looking like a firearm is enough, then most BB guns are firearms. However I believe if you use one of those during commission of a crime (intending for it to be seen as a firearm) then you get charged as if it was, even if it is imitation/airsoft/whatever..

If it can't chamber a round; barrel plugged; chamber welded up; the bolt face etc welded up -> ie it'd be more effort to resurrect as a working firearm than just making one from scratch to begin with, then surely it's just a gun shaped lump of metal, plastic, and wood?

I keep all my collection of my child hood cap guns in my safe! no I don't they are toys! I think you can display but it has to be more than deactivated, ie firing pin removed. I have a lovely shotgun that some on filled the bores up with concrete!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

hence my question around , the RSA , I have seen ak47s , lee enfields , et al , on walls ..... you can buy replica guns to display .... so I will ask the AO and let you all know what the law says around it .
    cheers
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

display firearms ....

I know the Police Arms Manual is NOT the Arms Act 1983, but it does shed some light on this topic.
    https://www.police.govt.nz/service/f...anual_2002.pdf

Section 8.17 Deactivated Firearms:

1. Under United Kingdom legislation, firearms that have been deactivated to Government specifications and certified by a Proof House do not require the owner to possess a firearms certificate for the firearm.
    2. NZ Law does not recognise the status of “deactivated”, on the basis that some of these “deactivated” firearms can be converted to live firing status by a competent machinist in a relatively short time.
    3. The only situation where a firearm has been accepted as “deactivated” in New Zealand is where it has been sectionalised from end to end.

Section 15 details conditions for RSA/Museum display.

EDIT:

That link must be for an old (2002) document, as section 8.38 talks of the requirement to surrender MSSA parts to be able to import new parts on a 1-for-1 basis. I thought that had been shot down.
    Last edited by stretch; 26-09-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Replica firearms (non-firing facsimilies) are perfectly OK to own and display without any restrictions, however that changes dramatically if you have one in a public place without 'lawful and sufficient purpose'. Any genuine antique firearm (excluding any rimfire or centerfire) may also owned and displayed without licence, subject to the same public place provisions. Modern fireable replicas are subject to all the pertinent regulations and may only be owned by a Firearms Licence holder. If the owner of a genuine antique firearm wishes to fire it then they must have a firearms licence. Deactivated firearms are not recognised in NZ law, however if a firearm is deactivated to the extent that it can NEVER be repaired to firing order (this means removal of internal parts, drilling holes, grinding internal parts away, thorough welding, etc) then you would have reasonable legal excuse to own and display it without a licence, not forgetting that the Police would still not be happy about it. Over the years I have completely deactivated several firearms and have written certificates attesting to the level of work done. The Police have asked me to stop doing it but there is nothing in the law about me creating something that is no longer a firearm by NZ legal definition, so I still do it.
    Kscott, stumpy and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I keep all my collection of my child hood cap guns in my safe! no I don't they are toys! I think you can display but it has to be more than deactivated, ie firing pin removed. I have a lovely shotgun that some on filled the bores up with concrete!
    Jeeez Maca, concrete? didn't you check it out before you gave the prick the money???
    Cyclops likes this.
    I used to have a handle on Life - but it broke.