Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Disturbing Rumour

  1. #1
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,715

    Disturbing Rumour

    Not saying this is gospel but I was chatting with a few longtime members at the pistol club today about an AO checking A cat semis and recording serial numbers.

    He is also claiming a law change is coming. Claiming that semis will not be allowed for hunting and any semi auto will require an E cat licence in future.

    First I have heard of this and it could be all bullshit but I have heard some mutterings of proposed law changes.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  2. #2
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,182
    Hear that awhile ago here
    FCAF Update

    If it happen it will be done sneakily is my bet.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,729
    So who's going to adhere to that stupid law, great way to create crims, oh I'm ok don't own any
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  4. #4
    Member stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Clarks Beach, (South of) Auckland
    Posts
    1,722
    If they go down that path (I hope they don't), there had better be clear definitions of what is hunting and what is pest control.

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Wirehunt and Knoxy_09 like this.

  5. #5
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,855
    There may well be an element of truth in the rumour as there is with most rumours. When you think about the percentage of A category FAL holders that have a 10/22 (or equivalent) or semi auto shotgun in their safe then the question we need to ask is "what degree of administrative workload would be imposed upon Police AO's having to process possibly a couple hundred thousand conversions to E category FAL holders"? And "would they have the resources to take on such a monumental task in order to keep us responsible FAL holders responsible"? Personally I think not. I would give this rumour an intelligence rating of A5 (my memory around the ratings is poor but it would go something like - highly reliable source but information extremely unlikely to be true)
    Kscott, R93 and tetawa like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  6. #6
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    There may well be an element of truth in the rumour as there is with most rumours. When you think about the percentage of A category FAL holders that have a 10/22 (or equivalent) or semi auto shotgun in their safe then the question we need to ask is "what degree of administrative workload would be imposed upon Police AO's having to process possibly a couple hundred thousand conversions to E category FAL holders"? And "would they have the resources to take on such a monumental task in order to keep us responsible FAL holders responsible"? Personally I think not. I would give this rumour an intelligence rating of A5 (my memory around the ratings is poor but it would go something like - highly reliable source but information extremely unlikely to be true)
    except common sense often has nothing to do with anything related to govt departments

  7. #7
    Gold member Pointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    3,885
    Funny, I heard the exact same rumour yesterday!

  8. #8
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,855
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    except common sense often has nothing to do with anything related to govt departments
    I agree that common sense is not all that common Mikee.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not saying this is gospel but I was chatting with a few longtime members at the pistol club today about an AO checking A cat semis and recording serial numbers.

    He is also claiming a law change is coming. Claiming that semis will not be allowed for hunting and any semi auto will require an E cat licence in future.

    First I have heard of this and it could be all bullshit but I have heard some mutterings of proposed law changes.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I recon its bullshit.
    Saying that, it might be time to pick up another Troy pump Action Rifle for a hunting gun.

  10. #10
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,823
    There was a bit of discussion here too.

    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...lopment-27335/
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  11. #11
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    There was a bit of discussion here too.

    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...lopment-27335/
    I knew I read something on here similar.

    My main worry was the bloke was apparently insisting that he can record serial numbers of A cat firearms.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  12. #12
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I knew I read something on here similar.

    My main worry was the bloke was apparently insisting that he can record serial numbers of A cat firearms.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Only if you let him.
    Wirehunt, mikee and Steve123 like this.

  13. #13
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I knew I read something on here similar.

    My main worry was the bloke was apparently insisting that he can record serial numbers of A cat firearms.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    That would be outside of his brief and would require a search warrant.

    Cheers
    Pete
    sometimes likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

    After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

  14. #14
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,715
    That's why it is a worry.

    My AO didn't even ask to look in my safe when doing my renewal.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  15. #15
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    That's why it is a worry.

    My AO didn't even ask to look in my safe when doing my renewal.


    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    @R93 that's because Your AO was acting within the Law.

    My relicencing officer didn't ask either.

    He only wanted to view the serial numbers on the firearms listed on my endorsements.

    Cheers
    Pete
    mikee likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

    After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 412
    Last Post: 02-10-2018, 08:43 PM
  2. Rumour or Not
    By BSA in forum Off topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-12-2014, 03:47 PM
  3. this could be a little disturbing
    By geezejonesy in forum Hunting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
  4. Local rumour mill.
    By CreepingDeath in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!