Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Don't answer that question.

Don't answer that question.

I have just been though the Firearms relicensing circus. I am not an e-cat user just the standard stuff. The questions are very probing and left me my wife and my referee feeling a bit violated. Anyway at the end of it the interviewer wanted to look at my gun cabinets ok I opened them up. Then was asked if they could record what firearms I had. I of course said no that wasn't a requirement of my license and locked them up again. So the NZ Police is asking for info they are not entitled to have. Do we really have to answer questions about where we shoot, what we shoot, and what medication we take. How many firearms we own and where we use them is not controlled and not part of our license. Is there anyone with a legal background that could apply themselves to this. Yet again the legal law abiding firearms owners are being shat on. I apologize if this is in the wrong place .

The request to take the details of A cat firearms has been happening for quite a while. Some people comply, some don't - and nothing has happened from it.

The questions about any medication are relevant if since the original issuing of your FAL, you've been moved onto anti-depressants, etc.

How many firearms you own are not controlled. But the AO is entitle to check to make sure your storage of them is compliant with the law.

The question about where you shoot is always a curly one, as clubs and locations to shoot are dwindling, apart from private dwellings. But then with urban sprawl even that is under threat unless you've got a decent sized farm/property.

MSL
    It's not illegal for them to ask, probably wouldn't get upset about it. And the questions relating to where and what you shoot, you can be as vague or specific as you like. The medication thing is somewhat relevant.

I understand your points its that with the chance of your license not being renewed I think people will answer questions they otherwise might not. I also don't believe that because you are taking anti-depressants or many other meds you should be excluded from gaining a FAL. Hey there are about 400 000 alcoholics in NZ I am sure many of them have FAL. What we must remember is that 99.8% of gun crime is committed by unlicensed firearms users most of them in gang members. Its the same old story its easy to target (pun unintended) us legal owners rather than sort out the real causes of gun related crime.

Ejected
    The medication question is a good thing. I'd prefer not to have judgement-impaired mentally ill people with firearms, and if that question results in a little more attention to some people to make sure they're not a danger to themselves or others then I'm all for it.

I'm okay with all of the questions they ask and don't agree that they're "violating". If asking personal questions to 200,000 license holders picks up only one sick bastard that wants to shoot someone or a careless munter that risks his kids playing with his shotguns, then those questions are well worth it in my opinion. If you're a normal person they're not meant for you. Maybe the reason that most crime is committed by unlicensed people is because those people got turned down, or didn't bother because they knew they wouldn't be able to get one? May as well make it slightly harder for them to source a gun... It's much easier to get a gun license in america and they shoot each other all the time for really dumb reasons.

The "real" causes of gun related crime are things like poverty, a lack of good social support, education. And I reckon we're doing a pretty shit job of fixing that sort of thing. But that's not to say we shouldn't also keep licenses away from people that shouldn't have them.

Personally I wouldn't give them details of my firearms. They're there to assess whether my storage and I are safe or not, no more. I have no problem with them asking though.
    Last edited by Jack_; 06-11-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    Tahr and 308 like this.

the evil cow who interviewed us got rather toxic when i refused to tell her what firearms i owned. on top of that she knew absolutely nothing about firearms. eventually the arms office rang me and asked me to send them a photo of my safe and how it was fixed to the wall and floor and they were more than happy.
    do not ever disclose what A-cat guns you own, there are plenty of civilians with access to your firearms license and if any of them were crooked it would be like a shopping list for them.
    tetawa, Maca49, 308 and 1 others like this.

Not worried about the medical questions, a good thing as far as I,m concerned, as to what guns you have, it's becoming irrelevant, as they are recorded at the gun shops and if you buy privately and want to post them ( trade me etc) . Ask yourself this question? If the police caught someone robbing the local dairy where your wife ,family member etc worked, with a gun, would you not want to know how he got that gun, yes we could say the horse has already bolted.
    One tip , when buyin from a gun shop, where the book has address only give your district, I.e whangarei. The police can trace you from your license number.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Not worried about the medical questions, a good thing as far as I,m concerned, as to what guns you have, it's becoming irrelevant, as they are recorded at the gun shops and if you buy privately and want to post them ( trade me etc) . Ask yourself this question? If the police caught someone robbing the local dairy where your wife ,family member etc worked, with a gun, would you not want to know how he got that gun, yes we could say the horse has already bolted.
    One tip , when buyin from a gun shop, where the book has address only give your district, I.e whangarei. The police can trace you from your license number.
    As a staff member assisting a Gunshop, I can tell you that if you refuse to give the address, I would not be able to proceed with the sale. The Arms officer is very stringent on that detail. If we do not have the address in the sales record when we are vetted every year for our license renewal, and if it is has gaps, then we risk them deciding not renew our trading license until we have contacted the customer concerned and obtained the appropriate information. In saying that, the local AO has also been helpful with picking up typo's and minor errors when I started helping the shop. What a normal private seller is required to record and what a licensed Firearms trader (D cat) is legally required to record are different. Traders are held to much higher standards and scrutiny in book keeping, and in security, for very obvious reasons.
    Kscott and Feral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    the evil cow who interviewed us got rather toxic when i refused to tell her what firearms i owned. on top of that she knew absolutely nothing about firearms. eventually the arms office rang me and asked me to send them a photo of my safe and how it was fixed to the wall and floor and they were more than happy.
    do not ever disclose what A-cat guns you own, there are plenty of civilians with access to your firearms license and if any of them were crooked it would be like a shopping list for them.

and the difference between my E and B weapons being recorded and your A cat stuff not being is what ? (aside from a legal requirement )
    Savage1 likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    and the difference between my E and B weapons being recorded and your A cat stuff not being is what ? (aside from a legal requirement )
    firstly the whole "E-cat" thing is a joke, they are practically unused in most crimes. the crims that do own them dont care where they get them anyway.
    the point is the law states i do not have to list any A-cats i own to the police or any other agency. although my safe is far above the standard for A-cats the best security in the world is not announcing to anyone of what you own. As i stated before there are civilians who have access to firearms records and to list what you own is an invite to being burgled
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.

I haven't been asked (yet) by an AO to see inside my safe or to list my firearms. If I ever am, my answer will be a simple "no thanks".

I've privately documented each make, model and serial number for insurance purposes. If they're ever stolen THEN I'll produce those details to the police.
    tetawa, Feral and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I haven't been asked (yet) by an AO to see inside my safe or to list my firearms. If I ever am, my answer will be a simple "no thanks".

I've privately documented each make, model and serial number for insurance purposes. If they're ever stolen THEN I'll produce those details to the police.
    pays to take photos too. i have the whole lot printed out but it may pay to put all the info on a stick drive/cd and have a mate you trust keep a copy in case of fire etc

Banned
    Didn't the cops having a record of the guns owned by that guy who shot the stop-go road worker help in his murder conviction? Sounds like a good reason to record them to me.

As to the questions about where you go shooting and what you shoot, if you can't answer them when asked as part of your relicensing, you need to ask yourself why you actually need / want guns at all.

Also if you are that paranoid about someone seeing what's inside your safe, why not hide them under the bed in another room while the cops are visiting and put them back in the safe when they've gone?

I don't think I've ever given a gunshop my real address when buying an A cat gun. I think there's much more chance of a dealer's or gun club's records falling into the wrong hands than the cop's records.

If Gun City were happy to sell 50 A cat 10/22s, along with enough folding or pistol grip stocks, big magazines and all the other stuff to one person who only had an A licence and was obviously up to no good, why wouldn't they sell their sales records if offered enough money by criminals?

Didn't a pistol club's membership list get stolen with all those guns in Dunedin a few weeks ago?

Don't answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    pays to take photos too. i have the whole lot printed out but it may pay to put all the info on a stick drive/cd and have a mate you trust keep a copy in case of fire etc
    Email them to yourself, if you have a gmail (or any of the server based accounts) account then they are kept on the server and you can access from anywhere.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

so according to you @gonetropo ... i have invited crime to myself and home , because i have e and b weapons .... silly old me
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)