Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Doubt: The Scott Watson Case

Doubt: The Scott Watson Case

Interesting viewing on TVNZ 1 at the moment

GWH
    Watching too

P38
    Me too.

Plenty to think about that's for sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Well that left you with a lot of faith in the NZ justice system didn't it. Lots of unanswered question and asking why?
    tetawa likes this.

LOC
    the most resounding factor to me is with lack of remorse you probably won't get parole, so if he didn't do it he isn't coming out any time soon

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    There have been miscarriages of justice before in this country and in this particular case the doubts gave been there since day one with the whole eye witness ketch versus yacht debate.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    the most resounding factor to me is with lack of remorse you probably won't get parole, so if he didn't do it he isn't coming out any time soon
    Why would you feel remorseful if you didn't do the crime? Why would you admit guilt if you didn't do the crime? Both of these are questions that I have pondered at length.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

As I understand it, he was suspected in another disappearance which they couldn't pin on him. Under a lot of pressure with no answers, it got hung on him. Total scum bag, but I don't reckon he was that particular scum bag.

As always I will stick by the old "believe nothing of what you are told and only half of what you see".
    EeeBees, 308, kotuku and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I still chuckle about when they had the cop MP on that debate show and he lured him into saying it out loud "80% of New Zealanders probably are criminals".
    I broke the speed limit yesterday, does that count?
    199p and Danny like this.

While I did not see the story on the tTV, I was up there when all this happened, and I remember asking myself quite a few questions about what did and did not make sense. Then I was involved in another situation that hit the media. And like always, they only gave a token nod to the truth. If they had told the whole story including the bits they edited out, then there would not have been a story. To this day I now KNOW that if you want the truth, then the media cannot be involved. If this case really needs to be looked at then it needs to be done fully and with unbiased eyes. The media considers itself unbiased, but its bias is that it needs a headline, so it ignores any point that makes it less of a story.

My boss at the time knew the father of one of the victims and he (the father not my boss) himself was unconvinced of Watsons guilt, If fact he was pretty sure the cops were wrong. Right up until he went to the court and watched the evidence unfold during the trial. After that he was convinced they had the right person. He also commented vaguely towards a lot of that evidence and information having not been available to the public through the media, but he did not say whether it was the media or the courts that kept it from the public domain.

To this day, in my mind if a person who is convinced the cops had the wrong man can be shown they had the right one, at the time, in the court, then that is far more likely to be true than what a documentary maker has to say. If NEW evidence was to come to light that

A) proved Watson did not do it or
    B) proved that someone else did it,

then that would be worth investigating. But that should not and cannot be done by the media as they will taint anything they touch with their view to a headline.
    Tahr, kiwijames, mucko and 2 others like this.

I remember how sensational it all was at the time. The media went to town on it. I think anyone impartial watching the news would have been convinced of his guilt after week 2-3. In a country with 3 TV channels at the time the media had ( and still does ) a huge influence on people who simply didn't know any better.
    Grim, Tahr, veitnamcam and 3 others like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    While I did not see the story on the tTV, I was up there when all this happened, and I remember asking myself quite a few questions about what did and did not make sense. Then I was involved in another situation that hit the media. And like always, they only gave a token nod to the truth. If they had told the whole story including the bits they edited out, then there would not have been a story. To this day I now KNOW that if you want the truth, then the media cannot be involved. If this case really needs to be looked at then it needs to be done fully and with unbiased eyes. The media considers itself unbiased, but its bias is that it needs a headline, so it ignores any point that makes it less of a story.

My boss at the time knew the father of one of the victims and he (the father not my boss) himself was unconvinced of Watsons guilt, If fact he was pretty sure the cops were wrong. Right up until he went to the court and watched the evidence unfold during the trial. After that he was convinced they had the right person. He also commented vaguely towards a lot of that evidence and information having not been available to the public through the media, but he did not say whether it was the media or the courts that kept it from the public domain.

To this day, in my mind if a person who is convinced the cops had the wrong man can be shown they had the right one, at the time, in the court, then that is far more likely to be true than what a documentary maker has to say. If NEW evidence was to come to light that

A) proved Watson did not do it or
    B) proved that someone else did it,

then that would be worth investigating. But that should not and cannot be done by the media as they will taint anything they touch with their view to a headline.
    Tim, watch a rerun on demand. Worth the watch and then see if you think differently.

Made for television = entertainment so accuracy / truth are a minor consideration. Went to Polytechnic with young Ben Smart very easy going young guy cruised along guitar strapped to his back ... probably didn't realise the situation he was getting into until it was too late RIP
    Roddy likes this.

But the media says he's innocent so it must be so.
    Why have a justice system when we have the media which only selects the info to support their view rather than focus on evidence. They just use theories to boost ratings.

If he was innocent he would only have to convince a couple of people in a jury and they would be unable to convict. He was convicted so 11 out of 12 people from a jury said he was guilty.

If there was a chance he is innocent then there is a process for him to follow.

David Bain got acquitted. Only took the jury 4 hrs to look at months of evidence to say he should be acquitted of murder. Would take most people longer to look at all the evidence but who knows.

So they can't say it can't be done.