Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Drill bit sharpening

Drill bit sharpening

Hi guys

I have just spent two days tidying my workshop due to the constant bloody rain !!!

Now I have collected a 2 Liter ice cream container full of drill bits and Im wanting to know what is the best device / technique out there for sharpening them ?
    Im guessing its worth doing anything over 5mm and there are heaps in the 8 to 12mm sizes that I would like to do.
    Mostly I break the smaller ones and they are cheap enough to buy in bulk that Im not going to waste my time on the small ones I do have.

Don't want to spend heaps but I guess if I can recycle just a handful of the bigger diameter ones it will pay for its self.
    Also a good job for another long wet period.

a good bench grinder with a flat square stone.use one as a practise one.do each edge once then dunk in water to cool takes a bit of practise to get the rolling action right.then try it drilling a bit of steel.too much cut and they chip easily.start on the cutting edge then roll it back a little to set the cut.more practise the better you get.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and john m like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    a good bench grinder with a flat square stone.use one as a practise one.do each edge once then dunk in water to cool takes a bit of practise to get the rolling action right.then try it drilling a bit of steel.too much cut and they chip easily.start on the cutting edge then roll it back a little to set the cut.more practise the better you get.
    This! Used the same type of method myself

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    This!

Takes a little practice to get the subtle little movements right. Start with the biggest sucker you have so you can see it better and make sure the angles are the same on both sides. You start on the cutting edge and roll the bit then push up the grinding wheel face slightly as you rotate to provide the relief. The flat on the tip should be across the narrowest section.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Last edited by Awaian; 25-06-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: more thoughts

As above - the instructions are just what I used to do, back in the day.
    Same method we used to practise at high school and during my apprenticeship.
    Took all the blunt/chipped/broken ones to work and the other lads practised with these.
    Got some of those drills still in the toolbox that came from those days - sharp and still good.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Hi guys

I have just spent two days tidying my workshop due to the constant bloody rain !!!

Now I have collected a 2 Liter ice cream container full of drill bits and Im wanting to know what is the best device / technique out there for sharpening them ?
    Im guessing its worth doing anything over 5mm and there are heaps in the 8 to 12mm sizes that I would like to do.
    Mostly I break the smaller ones and they are cheap enough to buy in bulk that Im not going to waste my time on the small ones I do have.

Don't want to spend heaps but I guess if I can recycle just a handful of the bigger diameter ones it will pay for its self.
    Also a good job for another long wet period.
    what grinding gear have you got bench grinder or angle grinder? when I sharpen a bit use either, lets call the angle from the center to the outside rake and the angle from that edge rotating down the flute pitch, to square the rake I hold about 20 degrees down and square to the stone or disc to get the rake on each flute even, the angle of pitch on the flute will determine how aggressive it will cut the flatter the pitch the less aggressive and naturally the steeper the pitch it will pull in hard when cutting. when I grind the pitch I don't grind from the front and roll it back like some people do, I start from the bottom of the pitch and grind towards the rake edge and leave about 10% of the length of the rake obviously when looking at the rake end on you will see a line where the rake and pitch grinds end that is your cutting edge and that line will be the angle from square from when ground the rake, if you always grind with drill tip up that angle will always be negative if you grind tip down the pitch angle will be positive which will lift the cutting edge off the work your trying to drill and simply run on the proud pitch of the flute.

hope that's of some help. MUCKO
    veitnamcam likes this.

MSL
    Linisher

My father got a drill sharpening device from bunnings a few years ago. Was around $70 from memory and works a treat. Puts right angle on and is fast. Got my son to sharpen my drills when he made the mistake of saying he was bored. I made him bored and productive! Think about 10 or 12mm is the biggest it will do, but when they get that size a bench grinder is probably better suited for the job anyway. He also got a similar device for doing chainsaw chains. Our saws always cut straight and chains seem to last for ages. Just set it on the first tooth and it puts the same angle on all the others so saw cuts straight. We carry a spare each and when you've blunted two chains it's time for home as it must be beer o'clock anyway
    P38 and berg243 like this.

Im am bloody OCD on drill bits,I cant pick one up without sharpening it to suit the job at hand seriously!
    @mucko gives a good basic run down,Im well fastidious so wouldn't sharpen a bit on a angle grinder or linisher unless on site and needs must.
    I have a fine aluminium oxide wheel on the end of my bench for drill bits and tungstens.

I wont go into angles vs materials vs pilot sizes and shit here it is to complex for text.
    gadgetman and mucko like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im am bloody OCD on drill bits,I cant pick one up without sharpening it to suit the job at hand seriously!
    @mucko gives a good basic run down,Im well fastidious so wouldn't sharpen a bit on a angle grinder or linisher unless on site and needs must.
    I have a fine aluminium oxide wheel on the end of my bench for drill bits and tungstens.

I wont go into angles vs materials vs pilot sizes and shit here it is to complex for text.
    Yip, as soon as I got a bench grinder one factory wheel cane off and a TC wheel went on. Never even use a masonry bit unless I've tickled it up first.

For anything up to 6mm or 1/4" diameter I'll drill steel up to 6mm with the egg beater hand drill. Normally faster than running out a lead. If it is not fast enough the issue is the drill bit.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

yes angle grinder if on site some where, bench grinder in the workshop, will up grade to ali oxide wheel one day as it is the best for sharpening but i am to tight to buy one while i still have a good fine stone on it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Linisher
    I want a linisher/grinder combo for work
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    yes angle grinder if on site some where, bench grinder in the workshop, will up grade to ali oxide wheel one day as it is the best for sharpening but i am to tight to buy one while i still have a good fine stone on it.
    You wont go back when you get one
    mucko likes this.

Angle grinder vs bench vs linisher the linisher is the last thing I would try to sharpen a drill bit on.