Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Sapper
  • 2 Post By Littledog
  • 2 Post By Towely
  • 1 Post By Savage1

Thread: Dunedin Shooting

Dunedin Shooting

Does anyone know how Edward Livingstone got access to a shotgun with two (at least) convictions for breaking a protection order?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    308 I saw the article about this on 3 News and asked myself the same question. Apart from the shear tragedy of this incident, what really amazed me was that apparently it was a known factor that he had previously threatened to kill his family. I would hate to learn that he had not been relieved of his firearms due to some administrative or bureaucratic delay.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Does anyone know how Edward Livingstone got access to a shotgun with two (at least) convictions for breaking a protection order?

Actually and I know it is splitting hairs, he was discharged without conviction on the second charge and I see an immediate need for a certain judiciary member to be either educated or replaced.

As for access to the shot gun, I am amazed that there has been no comment in the media about it. I suspect that Constable Plod is still "investigating" and / or there is a cover up under way because of the suppliers / owners identity, as it is inconceivable that Constable Plod did not remove any fire arms from the murderer IF he had a licence.
    Munsey likes this.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

Seems he got no convictions twice, once to save his job by the looks. Some ones head needs to be pounded a bit. 2x breaking the protection orders. Mental illness, medication that the Judge knew he was on and he gets off. The guy needed intervention and this tragedy could have been avoided. The judge was in the strongest position to act decisively.

"A ruling by Judge Stephen Coyle in the Dunedin District Court said Livingstone was on medication and seeing a psychiatrist when he breached the protection order last September."

"A court document said Webb had been terrified for her safety and that of their children, Bradley, 9, and Ellen, 6, after Livingstone twice breached a protection order she had against him.
    Both times he escaped convictions - the most recent in September - out of fears he might lose his job at Otago Prison."

Thinking of the fear those kiddies must have gone thru before they were shot. Its sickening.
    EeeBees and Munsey like this.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Was reported that he apparently did not have a FAL. How he was able to possess a firearm and ammunition will come out in the investigation no doubt, and who helped him.

As a parent I'm particularly keen to see this investigation find all the answers they need.

And so would many other families supposedly protected by orders.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Working at a prison, it would be fair to speculate he would have a few sus contacts. Eventually the media will probably blame the gun and not the nutjob.

3 news had some guy on tonight saying that firearms laws need to be reformed and registration is needed. So it begins again.

How anybody could think a "protection order" is going to protect anything simply amazes me. Its quite literally a piece of paper with some words on it in the form of a threat. Meaningless ineffective beaurocratic bullshit.
    EeeBees and Pengy like this.

The fact that he had ammo + shotgun suggests to me that either someone wasn't storing their firearms correctly and he stole them or, more likely, a "mate" loaned it to him.

I would suggest that said mate would not be a fit and proper person to hold a license - this guy had mental health problems and was straight up obsessed with hurting his ex - who the fuck loans a firearm to someone like that?

Will be watching this case with interest

Quote Originally Posted by Littledog View Post
    Seems he got no convictions twice, once to save his job by the looks. Some ones head needs to be pounded a bit. 2x breaking the protection orders. Mental illness, medication that the Judge knew he was on and he gets off. The guy needed intervention and this tragedy could have been avoided. The judge was in the strongest position to act decisively.

"A ruling by Judge Stephen Coyle in the Dunedin District Court said Livingstone was on medication and seeing a psychiatrist when he breached the protection order last September."

"A court document said Webb had been terrified for her safety and that of their children, Bradley, 9, and Ellen, 6, after Livingstone twice breached a protection order she had against him.
    Both times he escaped convictions - the most recent in September - out of fears he might lose his job at Otago Prison."

Thinking of the fear those kiddies must have gone thru before they were shot. Its sickening.
    Firearms licences are revoked when a Protection Order is issued, it's a standard condition. Police can seize all firearms and the licence before the order is in place if there are grounds for a protection order, but since there is no firearm registration there is no way of knowing if they got them all or there is a whole another safe downstairs.

A breach of a protection order can be very minor such as phoning her or speaking to one of the kids. We don't know the circumstances of the breaches so we can't really judge the judge on it, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Being on psyc meds isn't a reason to penalise people. There is only so much intervention you can do before it start infringing on peoples "rights".
    ebf likes this.

Add another tragedy to a list of mentally unstable people slipping through the cracks and killing people. I'm interested to see how he managed to get a firearm as well, I don't think it is particularly relevant though - this guy was a walking hazard and was bound to do something sooner or later.

Police have identified the shotgun and how he gained access of it, but are waiting for the investigation to be completed before giving more details.