Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Dupuytrens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804

    Dupuytrens

    If you have this problem, Nodules in palm that long term curl your fingers into the palm, which would be a pain in the bum! There’s a new radiation treatment avail, has to be done before the fingers start to curl. Ask your doc about it, just spent an hour on my back with my hands above my head having both my hands mapped and scanned, ready for treatment in a couple of weeks, 2x5 treatments with a week between. Breaks up the growth around the tendon sheath before it stops the tendon working!!;
    Tahr likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  2. #2
    SiB
    SiB is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,592
    Is that what my dr refers to as “trigger finger”? If I grip something small, and pull, my finger locks I’m the curled in position?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Check for thicknings in your palm, not calluses, Usually in people over 40 yrs
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  4. #4
    SiB
    SiB is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,592
    In. Not I’m

    I can just imagine the lewd brigade will contribute regardless

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Is that what my dr refers to as “trigger finger”? If I grip something small, and pull, my finger locks I’m the curled in position?
    trigger fingers a bit different I think, but worth checking next time at the doc, is a fairly new treatment, my doc said he couldn't help me, I told him about this treatment and two weeks later its happening
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    In. Not I’m

    I can just imagine the lewd brigade will contribute regardless
    Hahaha Last thing I want is curled up fingers as I get older
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,013
    Mainly if you are white skinned and of European origin.

    Sadly I have a few that really progressed rapidly after a major accident.

    I will be interested in the results of this new treatment you are undertaking.
    Was advised a couple of years ago when mine became an issue that surgery was the only realistic option.

    On the up side it probably shows that you have had an honest hard working lifestyle.
    Unless you get them from always having a bottle of Waikato in both hands !
    Maca49 and WallyR like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hamurana, Rotorua
    Posts
    296
    Have had duypetrens for years. Affected both little fingers as it is ‘reflective’. Wives tale suggests it hits people of Scandinavian descent, but my ancestors were from across the water. Yes! Get it treated soonest. I had three ops on my right hand until the surgeon finally amputated my little finger. Have had two ops on the left hand, with the duypetrens coming back to the extent the left little pinky is fairly well curled under. Glad to see there appears to be a better treatment option available nowadays.
    Maca49 likes this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Keltic origins?
    JoshC and Ingrid 51 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hamurana, Rotorua
    Posts
    296
    Yep.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Bloody Vikings?
    Ingrid 51 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,804
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Mainly if you are white skinned and of European origin.

    Sadly I have a few that really progressed rapidly after a major accident.

    I will be interested in the results of this new treatment you are undertaking.
    Was advised a couple of years ago when mine became an issue that surgery was the only realistic option.

    On the up side it probably shows that you have had an honest hard working lifestyle.
    Unless you get them from always having a bottle of Waikato in both hands !
    Ill need a bootle of COLD Waikato in each hand to control the burning!!
    WallyR likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  13. #13
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Is that what my dr refers to as “trigger finger”? If I grip something small, and pull, my finger locks I’m the curled in position?
    @SiB

    No, trigger finger is where there is a nodule on the tendon that causes the finger to flex (curl up). The tendon passes through a narrow gap and when the nodule slips backwards through that gap it does it with a snap, and won't readily slide forwards so the finger seems stuck in flexion - but can be pulled straight. Dr can treat by injecting some steroid into the sheath around the tendon, but sometimes it requires some surgery to fix.

  14. #14
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    If you have this problem, Nodules in palm that long term curl your fingers into the palm, which would be a pain in the bum! There’s a new radiation treatment avail, has to be done before the fingers start to curl. Ask your doc about it, just spent an hour on my back with my hands above my head having both my hands mapped and scanned, ready for treatment in a couple of weeks, 2x5 treatments with a week between. Breaks up the growth around the tendon sheath before it stops the tendon working!!;
    @Maca49

    Please keep us updated on this thread about your progress. Interested to hear of something that actually works, rather than just surgery.
    Pengy likes this.

  15. #15
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,004
    Thanks for the heads up. I have early Dupuytrens and have had 2 trigger finger ops and my 3rd soon.

    @Maca49 Keep us up to date on how it goes. Hope it works for you.
    WallyR likes this.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!