Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Engineering Advice Please

Engineering Advice Please

So I notice there is an abundance of knowledge on this forum when it comes to engineering stuff so I thought I'd pick your brains.

I have an issue - I am used to launching my boat from ramps or nice steep beaches with hard sand and no surf and as such there is no need to unhook the trailer and use the jockey wheel to launch/recover. I am now living in Palmy and the nearest decent diving is Kapiti which involves a beach launch with soft(ish) sand, a shallow gradient and often a bit of surf. This means the car is not a good option and diffs are expensive so my best bet is the old unhook the trailer and man-draulically push the bastard into the surf. Absolutely fine with a small boat or a big crew, problem is I have a small crew and a big(ish) boat. It is a 5.8m RHIB with centre console and weighs about 800kg at a guess.

A functioning jockey wheel is the key here to minimise drag and make it possible for the mrs and I (maybe with one other) to get it in and out of the water. A standard jockey wheel just generally sucks, I have tried "heavy duty" and "double" jockey wheels and they all suck. They swivel and get stuck, the tyres pop after about a month in the sun and they suck. Did I mention they suck?

I have seen smaller boats with a third standard wheel mounted on the drawbar - They generally have a bit of ground clearance when hooked up to the car but when you unhook, the trailer rolls up and down the beach, driveway or lawn with ease. I want to do this with mine.

So now I have given you my life story we get to the question - I have been in touch with the boat builder who makes the trailers with the third wheel and asked for a price for a bolt on solution. He reckons about $320 plus GST plus P&P. Seems pretty steep to me. How much engineering work is actually involved with making up something like that? Am I gonna get it cheaper if I go to a local engineer? Anyone wanna do it for mates rates?

I'll chuck up a couple of photos from my phone.

Adam
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

This is kinda what I'm after

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

And this is what is going on it

So I can do more of this

Uplandstalker likes this.

I almost recognise that rock I think?
    Volkners?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I almost recognise that rock I think?
    Volkners?
    Nah its super secret spot X at the Aldermens

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Nah its super secret spot X at the Aldermens
    Duh yip of course aldys Yeah theres a few there alright. Nice fish.

Probably not far off price wise. By the time you get hub and stub, tyre and rim, bit of steel, couple of hours fabricating it and galvanising, you wouldn't have much change if you did it yourself. Unless you got the bits lying around that is. ....but it's been a few years since I was in the workshop, what would I know
    338 and Dorkus like this.

Seems a bit steep to me, id shop around. If you find the mount and wheel it should be cheap as chips to fit

Mate had a 6M RHIB we launched off Paraparaumu beach - no amount of pushing that boat would ever get it launched at anything other than high tide. There are a few sand bars to cross before the trailer is deep enough for the boat to slide off. Dumping the boat off too early means it is trapped between two shallow bars, and you will need to put it back on the trailer, and try again.
    Get a membership and tractor key for the Kapiti Boating Club, and you will be sorted.
    I downsized to a 4.7M surtees, as it was a lot easier to beach launch with 2 people and no tractor.
    No doubt I will see you out there floating amongst the summer kingi's.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Mate had a 6M RHIB we launched off Paraparaumu beach - no amount of pushing that boat would ever get it launched at anything other than high tide. There are a few sand bars to cross before the trailer is deep enough for the boat to slide off. Dumping the boat off too early means it is trapped between two shallow bars, and you will need to put it back on the trailer, and try again.
    Get a membership and tractor key for the Kapiti Boating Club, and you will be sorted.
    I downsized to a 4.7M surtees, as it was a lot easier to beach launch with 2 people and no tractor.
    No doubt I will see you out there floating amongst the summer kingi's.
    Yeah there is always the tractor option. I was hoping that I would be able to come up with a good self launch system for the cost of a year membership and tractor key - It's not far off. I couldn't believe how much they charge for a boat wash station, toilet and tractor key!

I had a 6M plate alloy boat previously, and it was touch and go with 4 people pushing it. It's the pushing it uphill to get over the sandbars, some of which regularly have a step step, that will have you swearing a lot. This is the reason I went to a smaller boat with a flooding keel that can be shut, so it draws less water for launching.

320 sounds like a bloody bargin if they are supplying the hub stub bearings seals wheel and tire.
    But a bit steep if you are supplying it.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

You'd wish you'd just spent the $300 odd bucks the next time you get the trailer stuck in sand...I'd say just pay the man and be done with it

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    It's about $250.00 for a hub - Stub and 13" wheel & tyre, then you have got your engineering on top of that. Do you have a spare wheel on the trailer now? If so utilize that with a hub & stud for the land wheel.
    veitnamcam likes this.