Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Engineering jobs?

Engineering jobs?

Hey guys
    I'm currently on the hunt for a mechanical engineering job in the Morrinsville, Matamata, Cambridge area. I have two weeks to go until I finish my engineering pre-apprenticeship at wintec and will also come out with my first year apprenticeship finished as well. Does anybody here know of any reputable engineering firms in my area that are looking for apprentices? I have gone to a number of firms in Morrinsville and have a guy from Competenz looking as well but after six months haven't heard back from him.
    Much appreciated
    Joshua Mathews
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

I'll ask around over that way.
    Dan M

Check with DPT Machinists - DPT Machinists he was looking around for staff a wee while ago and finding it difficult. It's based in Hamilton, Te Rapa Rd.

@Danny cheers mate much appreciated
    @Kscott tried DPT for some work experience but said he doesn't really have enough work to keep me occupied. Cheers

keep trying, the harder you try the luckier you will be.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Keep at it mate I know I had trouble getting my foot in the door like you - but a few years ago now. You could try getting work experience even if you spent 2.5 days a week at 2 different places, a good referance or 2 goes a long way ( turning up on time, getting stuck in etc) .We had some great guys through a place I worked at from the polytec but just not enough work to take them on. On the bright side once your qualified there going to be a huge shortage of good engineers in the not too distant future as the old boys retire.

Best of luck

Havent been looking at the job market at all but would think there would be plenty of structural fab work in chch?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmynostars View Post
    Keep at it mate I know I had trouble getting my foot in the door like you - but a few years ago now. You could try getting work experience even if you spent 2.5 days a week at 2 different places, a good referance or 2 goes a long way ( turning up on time, getting stuck in etc) .We had some great guys through a place I worked at from the polytec but just not enough work to take them on. On the bright side once your qualified there going to be a huge shortage of good engineers in the not too distant future as the old boys retire.

Best of luck
    Cheers Jimmynostars. I have done 8 weeks working for free at a engineering firm but they dont take on apprentices. When i first applied for jobs every firm said go and do a pre apprenticeship and your first year, come back and no one will turn you down. Done all that now there's no positions available anywhere. Not to stressed though something will work out. @vietnamcam i would think so but not really ready to move that far away from everyone i know.

wat about the aluminium boat building business in Morro town??
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    wat about the aluminium boat building business in Morro town??
    Actually I haven't tried them yet. Would they be likely to do apprenticeships though being just a boat builder? Haven't done any ally welding but if its anything like tig welding stainless its not my cup of tea. Although cant really be picky can I.

Don't want to break you down bud but look at all things like stepping stones to get you where your going. It took me to try a few things to work out what I dont want to do. If you can gas weld then you can tig weld .Without offending anyone.... anyone can use a hot glue gun (mig).

Maybe look for a job you can knock off some credits with and then look elsewhere to finish off a trade. Trade Engineering is so broad, the more you can do - know, the more useful and employable you are.
    veitnamcam, Danny and possummatti like this.

Ever thought of moving over Rotorua ways? we've got heaps of outfits and a lot of them are keen to take on enthusiastic young fullaz. Other than that dont be picky take anything as its far easier to get the job you want when your already working.
    possummatti likes this.

Cheers guys. Suppose i will just have to take what ever comes up first and then start looking for a job im gonna love ( if theres such thing). I can mig( i see what you mean "hot glue gun"jimmy) tig arc weld as well as milling, machining ,cnc plasma cutting all of that so suppose i will find somewhere where i can come in handy. Much appreciated

do you want to wrk in Matamata. I know some guys here who are super busy ?
    Gibo and Danny like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    do you want to wrk in Matamata. I know some guys here who are super busy ?
    Yeap Matamata is just as handy as Morrinsville. Was planning to do a tikki tour over on monday to hand my cv around.
    Much appreciated
    Josh