Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Engineers in Palmy

Engineers in Palmy

Any engineers (or wannabe backyard engineers or even just someone with a welder and half a clue) in Palmy want to give me a hand with a project?

I just took my boat trailer in to an engineering place in town and got a ballpark guess for at least a grand so (as is often the case) I have decided that I want to give it a nudge myself... What I need to do is adjust the rollers so they are in the right spot and then weld the little bastards in place (they keep dropping down and rattling like buggery and damaging the hull). I am then going to unbolt the stub axles and move them forward 6 inches so there is less weight on the towball (there's at least 80kg on the ball now). That bit should be piss easy as it is all just held together by "U" bolts and lock nuts. I'm then going to take to the winch post with an angle grinder so I can open my boot. Finally I am going to weld on some eyes or something to hook transom mounted tie downs onto and then I think I will be happy.

I am happy to accept help, ideas, loan equipment (I don't have a welder) and can pay in beers, trips on said boat (spearfishing is my thing but open to other forms of harvesting kai moana), seafood or cash. I would offer venison or hunting trips but I am crap at that.

Pretty sure in a worst case scenario I buy a welder and with a bit of youtube-ing and some trial and error it will be all good... What could possibly go wrong
    Tommy likes this.
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

Time and space wise - I reckon I can do most of it in my garage at home in the evenings, except maybe the angle grinding which will probably set some of my camping gear on fire. Welding doesn't make thaaat much of a mess does it?
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

yip ill send u his number
    veitnamcam likes this.

Welding makes more of a mess than a grinder, grinders look worse than they are as you can easily stand in the spark shower, just don't grind towards you car etc, the hot embers melt into the paint and laminate on the windscreen. More likely to start a fire with a welder.

Great project to start with, just make sure you weld areas are cleaned up really well, a weld is only as good as it's prep.

Be careful moving the axle, if you get it wrong it can make your vehicle fishtail and crash at certain speeds, or not tow straight. measure from the centre of the tow hitch to get exact measurement for each axle mounting point so it tows straight, dont measure from front of tray etc in case the drawbar isn't mounted straight.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Cheers guys,

Great advice there Savage and I'll try to follow it where I can. 199P's mate is gonna come have a look and see what he can help with.
    gadgetman likes this.

Never weld whilst wearing gumboots
    Savage1 and Marty Henry like this.

And when welding overhead put earmuffs on or earplugs, it's amazing how loud the sizzle is when molten gets in your ear canal.

Any always always wear safety glasses/sunglasses when grinding, I got a piece in my eye when I was in England and didn't notice until the next day, completely debilitating but the NHS was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    And when welding overhead put earmuffs on or earplugs, it's amazing how loud the sizzle is when molten gets in your ear canal.

Any always always wear safety glasses/sunglasses when grinding, I got a piece in my eye when I was in England and didn't notice until the next day, completely debilitating but the NHS was amazing.
    I have a list of places welding spatter shouldn't go. Pretty much all the welding I did was overhead. Bum crack is a good one, but nothing beats the Michael Jackson dance you do when the snake gets it
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Gibo like this.

Ouch!

Is that grand including blasting and re hot dipping or at least arc spraying?

If not it sounds more like a mornings work well overpriced but then I have not seen it myself.
    Savage1 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Nope that was just the welding and grinding

I am inclined to think that 80 kg on the drawbar is OK. If you go much lighter then your trailer will fishtail badly. At 90 k's that could be enough to put you off the road, or into the path of oncoming traffic.
    veitnamcam likes this.

My tyres and brakes really don't like it... Maybe I need a better tow wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    My tyres and brakes really don't like it... Maybe I need a better tow wagon?
    Pump up tires. Brakes still have to do the same work no matter where you put the weight.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

What does the entire boat weigh and what're you towing it with?