Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: An Enlightening Day in Uniform

An Enlightening Day in Uniform

Last week I was invited to a school where a friend of mine works to help out with another class's production. This class of ten year olds decided that for their bit of the school production (each class gets a six minute slot and unlimited freedom of what to perform) they wanted to make a tribute to past and present soldiers and in particular, do their production 28th Maori Battalion styles. The class decided that they would like to do a bit of drill so called in an 'expert' - yours truely apparently!

Anyway I rocked up a few minutes early and much to the surprise of both the kids and the teachers, I was in uniform. Now that I am playing toy soldiers full time I have all my same DPMs and other gear. Man, talk about being treated like a celebrity! I had such a great welcome from everyone in the school. We spent about an hour or so working on some basic drill for these kids to carry out and I answered Army questions throughout the lessons ("are you scared when you are all alone in the bush?" "can you wear makeup?!")

Today I visited the class again to see how their production is going. I was greeted with a HUGE sign - THANK YOU SECOND LIEUTENANT DOUGLAS - and four large posters with printed out photos of my last visit and the signatures and well wishes from all of the children in the class. I was pretty warm and fuzzy after that.

The class then conducted their slice of the production for me. The story line was about two young Maori girls going for a walk and coming across a war memorial and a caretaker explaining to them what it was all about while the rest of the class acted behind them. I got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye because of these kids. They saluted and turned well, they belted out the Maori Battalion song with chests out and shoulders back (AU-E KIA KAHA!!), and they silently slow marched off the stage to the shrill notes of the last post. I was so incredibly proud to be a small part of these kid's offer of respect and gratitude towards past and present soldiers.

To top off my already awesome morning, I headed to a intermediate school shortly after to conduct a recruitment drive aimed at two classes of year eights. These guys were at a low decile school and were AWESOME! I had a great time talking about both careers in the Army and what the NZCF can offer. Then we headed outside for some PT related competition and concluded the afternoon with a fun chant and congratulating eachother on our team effort.

I had to stop at a petrol station on the way home and was thanked by three separate parties for the work that the defence is doing. I got a "thank goodness" from a woman when I explained to her that I train youth and I am local and will not deploy. Today was a really touching day for me and I was proud to wear my uniform and do a little giving back to the community that I love so much.

Here's to tomorrow's leaders!
    DAF, redbang, gadgetman and 4 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    Good to see why you love your job

I'll put some pics of the posters up later but will have to be a bit blury, can't really be putting up primary school pics on tehinterwebz.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Good work there Dougie. I helped out at a couple of schools after graduating and before finding work, so I know that warm feeling you get. Actually when I got a job I had to figure out where to fit it in with the helping schedule.
    Dougie likes this.

Good work gadgetman. I am a full time volunteer now lol....cadets, recruiting, dog training and hospice/hospital visits with my therapy dog (he wears many hats too) I wish I could pay my rent with warm fuzzies!
    gadgetman and Neckshot like this.

Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Good work gadgetman. I am a full time volunteer now lol....cadets, recruiting, dog training and hospice/hospital visits with my therapy dog (he wears many hats too) I wish I could pay my rent with warm fuzzies!
    Have been doing youth work for 23 years now. Also did Camp Quality a few times, got assigned to a kid considered uncontrollable (was the oldest companion they'd ever had, and they came looking for me). Didn't take much to figure him out. Spent an unfair bit of time in the child's oncology ward, still hurts lots but no regrets.
    DAF and Dougie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Have been doing youth work for 23 years now. Also did Camp Quality a few times, got assigned to a kid considered uncontrollable (was the oldest companion they'd ever had, and they came looking for me). Didn't take much to figure him out. Spent an unfair bit of time in the child's oncology ward, still hurts lots but no regrets.
    Dude, that is absolutely amazing. I've spent just ten short years doing this cadets thing and I feel like I've only taken a chip off the iceberg. It's cool stuff he - I love the 'difficult' kids the best.

About to step off for a practice of marching.
    Name:  IMG_20120904_173806.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  430.5 KB

Chin wag
    Name:  IMG_20120904_173820.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  438.0 KB

Domonstrating hands overlapping during ease
    Name:  IMG_20120904_173832.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  416.5 KB

Kids showing me thier salutes
    Name:  IMG_20120904_173843.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  366.0 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

Banned
    Ha ha salutes! my kids love that stuff the look on kids faces when they do it is hillarious

R93
    Benny Hill always did the best ones
    sako75 likes this.

Banned
    nah cmon!the best ones are done buy new grunts saluting a rsm or sgt realising half salute and to shit scared to pull out of it then watching the rsm make him pump them out booooyy!!!!! from one to 50..........waaaaaaan.........lol.and it wasnt me either.

Ha ha ha, too true Neckshot!!!!

R93

An Enlightening Day in Uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    nah cmon!the best ones are done buy new grunts saluting a rsm or sgt realising half salute and to shit scared to pull out of it then watching the rsm make him pump them out booooyy!!!!! from one to 50..........waaaaaaan.........lol.and it wasnt me either.
    Mate, new grunts dont have time too salute.
    Its wide eyed pouges that flap their arms at everything.
    Grunts universally suck at any form of drill except weapons drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Neckshot likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Good on ya Dougie.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I had a couple of good tunes that were good to get kids marching to. Didn't matter how disruptive they tried to get they just couldn't march out of step with it. After a couple of laps of the hall where they could see the rest of the squad doing it right there wasn't usually much resistance and they quickly got really competitive. The youth organisation I've been involved with was started on military lines started by an ex-military fella. Unfortunately times have changed and it is seen as too un-PC so a lot has been dropped from the program.

Keep up the good work there Dougie, it's really amazing when you catch up with them 15-20 years down the track and they are giving back too, and they remember you.