Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Boaraxa
  • 2 Post By Daithi
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By erniec
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By Mr Browning
  • 1 Post By Allgood
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Even the deer will kill you in Aussie!

MB

Even the deer will kill you in Aussie!

I was camped up a week ago sound asleep when I was awoken by a ruckus at 3am , bloody stag charging around camp it went from me quickly reaching for my torch to squealing like a little girl when I couldn't find it , hoping it would run over my mates tent & not mine , fortunately the squeal did the trick & the beast charged off we could hear his antlers clanging as he ploughed through the trees & scrub meters from our camp guess that's what you get when camping beside wallows & rub trees .
    Moa Hunter, Paddy79 and rewa like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Very sad, but no need to kill the poor beast.
    keneff and rewa like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    Would you prefer they released the hand raised animal into the wild? Or give it to a petting zoo? Id be putting it down.

Over the years I've come across a range of wild animals in that have been supposedly "tamed" and kept as pets. Not farm raised stock, like farmed deer, but orphaned young of properly wild animals that some numpty took pity on. Owls, monkeys, antelope, cheetahs, kangaroos, foxes, wolves... The wife is reminding me of the young black bear in Colorado that killed its "owner". It never ends well.

Now I don't know much about this story other than reading a few articles today, but it saddens me greatly that someone lost their life to a herbivore, doing something that basically is just a bad idea from the get go. Humans took centuries to domesticate animals and selectively breed aggression out of animals... It is a very naive thing to take a wild animal and expect it to magically transform into a safe and trustworthy creature, when it's instincts are finally honed to look after number one in the presence of Homo Sapiens. Whatever it takes.

I am amazed at what has been achieved with Limousin, Angus and Hereford bulls in just the last 20-30 years, because there were plenty of times when I was a young fella that I shat myself in the company of some of those bastards!

At a small village called Woods Point in Victoria, the local hillbillies had been feeding out baleage to a very large and heavy Sambar stag, treating him as some kind of village mascot. We camped there for a few days in 2015 and came across this animal at close quarters on several occasions on the periphery of the campsite and on one occasion right slap bang in the middle of the village. He was a majestic looking animal and might have seemed unconcerned being around people, but he just had that look about him that made me deeply uneasy. I was damn tempted to shoot it the first time I saw it (he had a very impressive head). But it was obvious something was up with this animal so I asked about it at the local pub... got told the story... so in turn I made it clear to the locals reasonably politely that I did not agree with what they were doing at all, and that one day it could end very badly, certainly for the animal but potentially for one of the locals too. Or a visitor!
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Britain's Favourite Dog 2019!

My dad selectively culled any snaky ones we had.Lands and Survey Settlement farm settled with Angus.
    Us little fellas navigated around on the top rails for years before the culling worked.
    Some of sights were impressive watched an Angus toss a big freisian out over the top rail with ease.
    He taught us a few things I still apply today.
    Would dog up the heifers though gates etc just because he reckoned you had to teach them.
    Walk through the bull paddock with a waddy and make them move out of your way.
    Tame stags on farms and pet pigs the rule was never get in the pen for us kids went for grownups too.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    rewa likes this.

MB
    When I saw the headline, I assumed it was something to do with hunting and the roar and my first thought was fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I would not want anybody to get hurt or die, but if you're hunting an animal and the tables are turned, I think that's fair. Maybe I'm alone in that point of view?

I had a standoff with a wild bull fairly recently (thanks Flyblown!). It was in the dark and a pretty scary experience. I would have had no hesitation in shooting it for my own safety if it came to it, but managed to scare it away.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    When I saw the headline, I assumed it was something to do with hunting and the roar and my first thought was fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I would not want anybody to get hurt or die, but if you're hunting an animal and the tables are turned, I think that's fair. Maybe I'm alone in that point of view?

I had a standoff with a wild bull fairly recently (thanks Flyblown!). It was in the dark and a pretty scary experience. I would have had no hesitation in shooting it for my own safety if it came to it, but managed to scare it away.
    I think most of us would have the same view. It is not as though we're there to sing songs around the camp fire with it alive haha

Relk, red-elk cross. The stags are aggresive,he obviously didnt know, and moreso when the temperatures start dropping. Spectacular roar though, nothing else on earth like it...still wasnt the stags fault though

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Would you prefer they released the hand raised animal into the wild? Or give it to a petting zoo? I’d be putting it down.
    In the case of deer, from what I learnt on deer farms, hand raised are the worst of all. When they loose their fear of humans, thats when you are in trouble. One thing deer always have a second guess at though is things taller than themselves. We always used to carry a good 2m long piece of alkathene pipe, if a hind or stag started looking at you sideways showing the whites of its eyes, you hold the pipe up as high as you can, the first thing they do is look at the top of it, 9 time out of 10 they back down, if they dont, a decent crack between the ears would wake them up. If that didnt work then you hope you can run funkin fast for the nearest fence or something you can put between it and you, or if in the yard, over the top real fast. Deer are so much easier to work with when they dont think they are the boss.
    Micky Duck and Flyblown like this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

From the article: State authorities have recently warned that numbers of feral deer have increased to more than one million.

A government report last year noted that wild deer had been responsible for road collisions and infrastructure damage.

"Deer sightings and reports of public safety risk are becoming more common," the report said.

A problem created as a result of stricter gun laws???
    Mr Browning likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I farmed red deer for eighteen years and can testify that hand reared animals are pricks to deal with. They tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order when released back into the herd and having associated with humans in their formative period they have no fear and can just be downright dangerous.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

red stags hand reared have always been known to be turds to deal with...come the roar....a dangerous beast as others have said no fear of humans.... Mr Browning...I used a great coat the same way...swing that sucker up and over your head and deer backed down quick smart.
    Mr Browning likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    You're right. The cops probaly "Euhanised" with about 47 poor shots, so the meat would have been fukt, along with some bystanders Oops, sorry, that's probably a hypothetical NZ situation.
    I used to have a handle on Life - but it broke.