Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Fantail inside

Fantail inside

What's the go with Fantails inside again? Is it someone is going to pass away?

Just had my mate come in for the forth day.......cruises in the window then pesters me until I open the door. I reckon hes just popping in to see what I'm up to....Funny little bugger he is, landed on my plate of lunch last week I don't mind him visiting one bit
    Wildman, P38, gadgetman and 1 others like this.

Let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Let us know how you get on
    ? is it a bad sign ?

SiB
    From memory it's the wood pigeon that's the prescient one re death.

A fantail inside means you've got fantail shit inside

Oh and a mate had a wood pigeon bust a window and go crazy in his study. Cost $8k to repair the blood spatters etc. His wallet died (yes insurance paid out most)

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    From memory it's the wood pigeon that's the prescient one re death.

A fantail inside means you've got fantail shit inside

Oh and a mate had a wood pigeon bust a window and go crazy in his study. Cost $8k to repair the blood spatters etc. His wallet died (yes insurance paid out most)
    Yeah a kereru would make a bloody mess alright!! Yeah the little bugger left a few presents here and there

Haha Ive had the same thing happen over the last couple months, Maoris rekon that someone in your family will die in the next 5 years or something, if a fantail comes inside. I heard this when I was a kid so could be all shite.

I think it is a bit of a maori tale isn't it? Something to do with Maui being killed.

If they come in, don't they have to leave through the same door without being shooed out...or it means someone you know will pass away? If they make noise while in your house they're bringing bad news, but if they come visit and are silent its seen as a good omen? Or if they're hanging about it's just old dead friends/family visiting. My missus is a bit of a believer in it, she's big time into her maori history/folklore stuff.

Strangely when her gran died we had one show up and hang around our house all the time, a few months later when her pop died, suddenly two fantails started to come all the time and hang in our garden and sit on our deck regularly. She calls them gran and pop!

Last weekend we went away for a break with her family (pretty small on her Dads side), her cousin died just prior to our wedding late last year, so everyone needed cheering up a bit. The weekend away was to spend a bit of time with the family and remember him. We arrived at Cromwell and went to the house we'd booked, and about 20 minutes after arriving a lone fantail came and landed on the picnic table that we were all sitting around on in the sun! It hung around all weekend then disappeared about 2 hours before we left!

My best mate was killed/died nearly 11 years ago, and I often visit the place where they found him. Almost every time without fail there is a fantail fluttering around in the trees nearby. That's always freaked me a bit.

Still think its a bit of a tale, but it would be cool if it was as they say it is.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Haha Ive had the same thing happen over the last couple months, Maoris rekon that someone in your family will die in the next 5 years or something, if a fantail comes inside. I heard this when I was a kid so could be all shite.
    Ha ha they really are cool little birds ain't they

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I think it is a bit of a maori tale isn't it? Something to do with Maui being killed.

If they come in, don't they have to leave through the same door without being shooed out...or it means someone you know will pass away? If they make noise while in your house they're bringing bad news, but if they come visit and are silent its seen as a good omen? Or if they're hanging about it's just old dead friends/family visiting. My missus is a bit of a believer in it, she's big time into her maori history/folklore stuff.

Strangely when her gran died we had one show up and hang around our house all the time, a few months later when her pop died, suddenly two fantails started to come all the time and hang in our garden and sit on our deck regularly. She calls them gran and pop!

Last weekend we went away for a break with her family (pretty small on her Dads side), her cousin died just prior to our wedding late last year, so everyone needed cheering up a bit. The weekend away was to spend a bit of time with the family and remember him. We arrived at Cromwell and went to the house we'd booked, and about 20 minutes after arriving a lone fantail came and landed on the picnic table that we were all sitting around on in the sun! It hung around all weekend then disappeared about 2 hours before we left!

My best mate was killed/died nearly 11 years ago, and I often visit the place where they found him. Almost every time without fail there is a fantail fluttering around in the trees nearby. That's always freaked me a bit.

Still think its a bit of a tale, but it would be cool if it was as they say it is.
    This guy is very vocal and can't be shooed anywhere. He actually lets me get as close as I want. Like I said he landed on my plate last week No hurry to leave so I just open the door so he can go when he's ready. Maybe I should shower? Might be the flies
    Mathias and Sean like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ha ha they really are cool little birds ain't they
    Yea if its a sparrow or black bird I save all the time of trying to shoo it away and just kill them, fantails I can't. I just googled it and there's heaps of posts from paranoid mothers on parenting sites freaking out. found a maori site that rekons a fantail killed maui. Also some rekon it could be a spirit of a recently passed someone. If your into that sort of thing.
    Gibo likes this.

Piwakawaka, my favourite NZ bird
    P38 and kiwijames like this.

I find that whenever I let out a roar in the bush a fantail will turn up, I'm not sure if that's telling me my roars sound more like a female fantail than a red stag or if he's there as a sign someone/thing is going to die, no big stags down lately so I'm beginning to think it's the former?
    Gibo likes this.

Well they love it if you scuff up a bit of leaf litter, it stirs up the little insects and things that they eat so they get a feed. They possibly associate rowdy stags crashing about and causing a scene with lots of disturbed leaf litter, and thus lunch?
    gadgetman and Gibo like this.

The Piwakawaka caused the death of Maui by laughing and waking up Hininuitepo as Maui was entering her body.
    The Piwakawaka then returned from the underworld to the human world with the news of Maui's death.
    So the Piwakawaka is forever more associated with the bring of news of the death of someone close to you.

I really enjoy the old Maori stories. We used to hear them a lot when we were kids. Not sure if they get taught much these days.
    This one when told in its entirety is very colourful and a bit sexual.
    Gibo likes this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Not always an omen of death, often a messenger if they do something specific in relation to a deceased person, like fly into a house and land on a photo or object of importance to the person.
    Danny likes this.