Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By 308
  • 2 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By 308
  • 7 Post By Spook
  • 2 Post By Spook

Thread: Farmer does everything right

Farmer does everything right

Police praise lost farmer's quick-thinking | Stuff.co.nz

People make mistakes but it's good to see someone using their noodle
    ebf and Toby like this.

A good result.
    A pet hate of mine is reporters using just someones surname like that. It is a piss poor Americanism imho. Mr Pitchford would have sufficed if they didn't know his first name.
    Rant over. Sorry
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

hey pengy , I noticed they used only my surname as well in my articles on my leg ,,,... mum noticed it as well and was quite put out .... seems sloppy and disrespectful
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

I know a little bit about this incident as I am working with this guy on the farm on this day...in fact I was talking to him only a few minutes before...just one of those things that happen...reasonably new to the area, stock was missing, nipped in for a quick look, got disorientated, the black came down...cellphone coverage is patchy at best in the area...I sent him a text when I finished milking...no reply...I knew then it was shit-creek situation...I am pleased they got him out otherwise I would of had to do his job as well as mine in the morning.
    Once police were involved I headed home and on the way I received some information that would aid the police in their search so rang and got a wannabe, explained who I was and what my relationship was to the situation, explained what information it was and who to give it to and after a lot of blah blah...then he says "so the person they are searching for is at the house"...I must admit I was lost for words...many words flashed through my mind but finally told him "no, the person they are looking for is in the bush"...thank fuck he is in comms and not in the field.
    Some of the first questions he was asked when found where, "see any deer"..."much sign about"..."can we come back at a later date"...by the way he was 385 metres from the fenceline when found and facing the right direction...just waiting for first light which was a long way off.
    ishoot10s and 308 like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    hey pengy , I noticed they used only my surname as well in my articles on my leg ,,,... mum noticed it as well and was quite put out .... seems sloppy and disrespectful
    Last names used a lot in the military, though I do doubt many leave to become journalists.....

They did use his full rank and name earlier in the article.

Some of the first questions he was asked when found where, "see any deer"..."much sign about"..."can we come back at a later date".

Haha saving lives is one thing but hunting is much more important
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Last names used a lot in the military, though I do doubt many leave to become journalists.....

They did use his full rank and name earlier in the article.
    Yes I did notice that they used Daves full name and rank to kick off with. But then used only his surname after that. It just urks me, probably because it reminds me of being at school

Glad the cocky came to no harm. It just goes to show how easy it can be to get bushed in this country.
    By the sounds of the deer comments, I am pretty sure I have met a couple of those cops quite recently. Good buggers they are too
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Of course the news item should have been:
    "1080 saves farmers life"
    A farmer lost in the Te Tapui bush on finding a 1080 feed station was able to call in it's serial number...a quick check with AHB for it's location meant the search area was switched to Nelson Lakes district where they said this particular feed station should be according to their information...a quick flight in Eagle with a stop off at the Beehive for extra funding was soon underway...in the meantime the farmer was steadily eating his way through the contents of the feed station knowing from earlier media reports as to how safe 1080 is...on his rescue he commented as to how this type of feed station should be provided throughout NZ but would prefer it was stocked with Cookie Bear biscuits.

Now that is seriously great reporting there Spook^
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Now that is seriously great reporting there Spook^
    It was a good thing that he didn't have a firearm with him otherwise it would have been a hunter lost instead of just a farmer...to complete my report I would have had to check if it was smooth bore or rifled, mssa or normal, airgun and whether it had the capability to pierce armoured glass and steel...I would probably reported it as an AR with brass catcher attached and banana clips taped head to tail.
    Dundee and big_foot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    It was a good thing that he didn't have a firearm with him otherwise it would have been a hunter lost instead of just a farmer...to complete my report I would have had to check if it was smooth bore or rifled, mssa or normal, airgun and whether it had the capability to pierce armoured glass and steel...I would probably reported it as an AR with brass catcher attached and banana clips taped head to tail.
    You forgot the 203 he had fitted.......