Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Firearm deaths in USA

Read an interesting article today, the short version:

Roughly 30.000 people are killed by firearms in USA every year. This includes everything from accidents, murder to suicide.
    Only 215 people where killed (2009 number) in self-defence related cases.

As a sidenote:
    WHen I lived in the state, I read that more than 100 hunters was injured in firearms related accidents the year I was there - and this number was for Minnesota only...

Lot to be said for some basic saftey training before being allowed to own a firearm ay
    Actually after seeing some of the dumd shit they do posted on utube mabe a IQ test aswell
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

If you break down the statistics, you'll find that approx 55% of gun deaths are self inflicted (suicide) while around 40% are homicide. Break down the homicide statistic and you'll find that a lot of homicide victims are young men with criminal history - crim on crim violence represents a large portion of that statistic. Other sources mention that guns are used exponentially more for self defense - A shot isn't always fired, the mere presence of a firearm defuses the situation. Look at the statistics for CCW, and you'll find that a tiny proportion of permit holders use their weapons illegally (they usually have to sit classes on safety, laws etc before being issued a permit). I get a feeling this thread won't last long.

Ripped from Wiki:

"In the United States, research into firearms and violent crime is fraught with difficulties, associated with limited data on gun ownership and use, firearms markets, and aggregation of crime data. Research studies into gun violence have primarily taken one of two approaches: case-control studies and social ecology. Gun ownership is usually determined through surveys, proxy variables, and sometimes with production and import figures. In statistical analysis of homicides and other types of crime which are rare events, these data tend to have poisson distributions, which also presents methodological challenges to researchers. With data aggregation, it is difficult to make inferences about individual behavior. This problem, known as ecological fallacy, is not always handled properly by researchers, leading some to jump to conclusions that their data do not necessarily support."

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    Is there some data on Hunting related deaths due to firearms