Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Firearms lawyer

Enough with the ‘jungle lawyering’ on a public forum guys. You’re embarrassing yourselves and other members by association.

The OP was smart enough to ask for advice then keep his mouth shut. Makes a nice change.
    kiwijames, Moutere and Mathias like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Can’t get into the details on a public forum while it’s still before the courts. And I don’t want to piss any one off more than they already are
    Fair enough. Was just up the gun club and everyone up there is of the strong opinion that there is no law to stop anyone having or owning a high cap magazine no matter what endorsements they may or may not have. That is not to say they're right tho. I am also of the same opinion but never really worried about it as I have an E endorsement.

Hope you come out on the right side of this.
    If it wasn't fitted to the rifle you should be sweet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and csmiffy like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

My question would be, "Why NOT Nick Taylor?".. He's a pleasant clever guy and really good at his job
    Moutere, physeptone, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cool!
    A meaty thread we can all get our teeth into.

Police searches, court cases, speculation and bush lawyers.
    Intrigue and everyone giving their opinion, no matter how ill-informed.

What more could you want in a thread?
    Settings - My Account - Edit Ignore List - Add a Member to Your List - User Name - Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Enough with the ‘jungle lawyering’ on a public forum guys. You’re embarrassing yourselves and other members by association.

The OP was smart enough to ask for advice then keep his mouth shut. Makes a nice change.
    sorry to embarrass you-I'm certainly not embarrassed. I know when I screw up and am usually very humble-in this occasion not so much.
    Agree to a point-probably not so much giving him advice, moreso a group of similar individuals interested in the case trying to logically nut it out.
    I definitely wouldn't be using my opinion in this situation to get him out of trouble, but there has been a few caveats here and there suggesting that logic doesn't always apply.
    If we were all sitting at a table and the same question was asked then I cant see how any of the responses would be classed as inflammatory.
    BUT if you want to go back to the very first post asking for firearms lawyer then yes, most of us have stuffed it right up by suggesting he is probably ok and are complete feckwits.
    My apologies.
    BTW good luck to the OP and I certainly hope it goes OK.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Cool!
    A meaty thread we can all get our teeth into.

Police searches, court cases, speculation and bush lawyers.
    Intrigue and everyone giving their opinion, no matter how ill-informed.

What more could you want in a thread?
    Don't mention ze war......

These a LOT more to the story but as I said this isn’t the time or place, cheers for the input and PMs they have given me a couple of ideas and a bit of hope
    The case is still set for late August. I will post the whole story then or as much of it as I can. Might save someone else going through what has been and is a shit fight that I wouldn’t wish on my worst eny
    I was just seeing if there was another option as nick Taylor is a bit out of my price range.

good luck

This is from the case law section of the COLFO website

May 1996 Police)v)Bruce
    DC Wellington
    CRN 5085022673
    District Court
    Wellington
    S)50)(1) unlawfully in possession of an MSSA. Firearm broken into parts and stored in
    cupboard, reassembled by police, 2 magazines. Case established that a MSSA is defined as
    such if a person is in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 7 rounds of
    ammunition even if it is not at the time fitted to the firearm concerned. Conviction entered.

September 1997 Police)v)Muench
    DCR [1997] 1016
    District Court
    Wellington
    S)50 unlawful possession of a MSSA Q defendant was in possession of an SKS rifle and a 30
    round magazine was stored close by; was the firearm in a sporting configuration? Court
    found that the rifle and magazine, if they can be reasonably associated together by close
    proximity under the same roof, can be seen as being part of the firearm for the
    interpretation of what constitutes an MSSA. It is important to note that he held a standard
    licence only and the magazine(s) were 1/2 a metre away.
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    This sounds like a bit of a 'lets make some case law' case...

I suspect the police's interpretation of the rule on E cat mag capacity is that ownership of a highcap mag = intent to breach the law, which is somewhat of a different interpretation than normal human beings. Part of the issue appears to be the desire to MSU (make shit up) as they go along and as it suits them at the time... Also legislation just hasn't developed at the rate of firearms design (partly because of people taking an issue with police hierarchy types wanting to stop law abiding firearms owners from owning items that are allowed under the legislation and going on to develop things that the legislation wasn't designed to cover).
    Iv brought a bayonet for an arisaka.
    I have not brought the arisaka yet.

I have a 30 round ak mag.
    I do not have an e cat ak yet.

where is the problem.....

oh, I know. I dont have enough guns yet.
    sometimes, Tommy and Steve123 like this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    These a LOT more to the story but as I said this isn’t the time or place, cheers for the input and PMs they have given me a couple of ideas and a bit of hope
    The case is still set for late August. I will post the whole story then or as much of it as I can. Might save someone else going through what has been and is a shit fight that I wouldn’t wish on my worst eny
    I was just seeing if there was another option as nick Taylor is a bit out of my price range.
    how about asking colfo or ssanz for advice/help??
    R93 likes this.
    Use enough gun

how about we shooters all join an association who charge a yearly fee to lobby for our interests and that fee also includes insurance premiums against legal fees etc.
    Or something along those lines.

Any COLFO or SSANZ reps on here? wanna weigh in on this idea or PM me?

Could be money well spent, as im sure the yearly fee would likely go up by the price of a box of ammo or two.

UNITED WE STAND. divided we shoot no more.
    gadgetman and berg243 like this.
    Use enough gun

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    how about asking colfo or ssanz for advice/help??
    Not a bad idea but I spose if you are already not a member it would be a bit on the nose?

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not a bad idea but I spose if you are already not a member it would be a bit on the nose?

im guessing that most people on here are already members. Well they should be!

iv just renewed my SSANZ, my son just joined! cant wait to tell him!
    R93 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    This is from the case law section of the COLFO website

May 1996 Police)v)Bruce
    DC Wellington
    CRN 5085022673
    District Court
    Wellington
    S)50)(1) unlawfully in possession of an MSSA. Firearm broken into parts and stored in
    cupboard, reassembled by police, 2 magazines. Case established that a MSSA is defined as
    such if a person is in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 7 rounds of
    ammunition even if it is not at the time fitted to the firearm concerned. Conviction entered.

September 1997 Police)v)Muench
    DCR [1997] 1016
    District Court
    Wellington
    S)50 unlawful possession of a MSSA Q defendant was in possession of an SKS rifle and a 30
    round magazine was stored close by; was the firearm in a sporting configuration? Court
    found that the rifle and magazine, if they can be reasonably associated together by close
    proximity under the same roof, can be seen as being part of the firearm for the
    interpretation of what constitutes an MSSA. It is important to note that he held a standard
    licence only and the magazine(s) were 1/2 a metre away.
    Do you know of any cases where there was a better outcome?
    Use enough gun