Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Firearms stolen in Darfield

Firearms stolen in Darfield

In the local paper tonight.

two separate burglaries, 24hrs apart.

A shotgun, wallent and money taken from rural Hororata property, last Wednesday. Two rifles taken from a Darfield house, last Thursday.

Both times they forced open locked gunsafes. The Darfield address had guns stolen previously within the last 12mths.

Tools not Toys
    [QUOTE=scottrods;245045]In the local paper tonight.

A shotgun, wallent and money taken from rural Hororata property, last Wednesday. Two rifles taken from a Darfield house, last Thursday.

Both times they forced open locked gunsafes. The Darfield address had guns stolen previously within the last 12mths.[/QUOTE

This is unfortunate that such deviants exist amongst us, but quick idea, what are the chances that by locked gunsafe, this means half assed padlock on a fucked old cupboard?

And the fact it has happened twice to one place may support the above.

Just ideas mind you. Maybe these people had their guns locked away properly and the crims had a 9inch Grinder, couple of discs and heaps of time.

Either way, I really don't like people who steal other peoples stuff. On the same note I have fuck all sympathy for people who get their stuff stolen by not looking after it properly.
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Scumbags !
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Scumbags !
    +1
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I shudder to think how many of our supposed earthquake repairers/surveryors make a mental note about firearms in the homes they visit.

Baz
    sub standard gun safes?

[QUOTE=hanse;245062]
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post

the fact it has happened twice to one place may support the above.
    All due respect, it probably doesn't!! It is the oldest methodology in a thief's repertoire!!! You steal from them today, they go buy new stuff covered by insurance, you go back and score all good stuff...I have seen shop bought gunsafes totally annihilated, pulled away from dynamo bolts...so the four to six hundred plus safes we buy are no safer than a lolly on the local dairy's counter. At best, like all locks and/or lockable stuff, they are merely deterants.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

[QUOTE=hanse;245062]
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    In the local paper tonight.

Both times they forced open locked gunsafes. The Darfield address had guns stolen previously within the last 12mths.[/QUOTE

This is unfortunate that such deviants exist amongst us, but quick idea, what are the chances that by locked gunsafe, this means half assed padlock on a fucked old cupboard?

And the fact it has happened twice to one place may support the above.

Just ideas mind you. Maybe these people had their guns locked away properly and the crims had a 9inch Grinder, couple of discs and heaps of time.

Either way, I really don't like people who steal other peoples stuff. On the same note I have fuck all sympathy for people who get their stuff stolen by not looking after it properly.
    lets not get too excited before we hear the whole story.yes i detest mongrel thieves to ,but what can you do when some beak gives em a reduced sentence cause they wrote a letter of apology (only 5mins before they appeared ,and most likely written by legal beagles clerk if truth be known.)or else the legal beagle spins a yarn which the gullible beak swallows.
    hanse likes this.

Hopefully they had a safe that was a bit better than this.

Professionally made custom gun safe | Trade Me

Now are these safes for real, meaning they are allowed to store firearms in something like this?

Name:  safe.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  30.3 KB
    Last edited by Trevs; 07-05-2014 at 08:34 PM.

The 5-0 do actually check proples safes aye.. so if there 'sub standard' perhaps the laws arent quite right.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    [QUOTE=EeeBees;245276]
    Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post
    At best, like all locks and/or lockable stuff, they are merely deterants.
    Totally correct EeeBees. There has not been a secure storage arrangement made by man that cannot be defeated by other men give the right incentive and enough time to do so.
    EeeBees likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Tools not Toys
    [QUOTE=EeeBees;245276]
    Quote Originally Posted by hanse View Post

All due respect, it probably doesn't!! It is the oldest methodology in a thief's repertoire!!! You steal from them today, they go buy new stuff covered by insurance, you go back and score all good stuff...I have seen shop bought gunsafes totally annihilated, pulled away from dynamo bolts...so the four to six hundred plus safes we buy are no safer than a lolly on the local dairy's counter. At best, like all locks and/or lockable stuff, they are merely deterants.
    Whilst I agree that thieves are mongrels and that the pickings may not have been easy, I totally disagree with your idea that my E cat safe (for A cat gear) Installed in a prick of a spot with proper fasteners, read 12mm Tru-bolts, Anka Screws or the equivalent industry tested bolts, not Dyna bolts (these are shit by the way and are actually 2mm smaller in diameter than the given size thanks to their full length sleeve, they are also notoriously hard to put in correctly, often resulting in nothing more than an expensive rawl plug.) is going to be as easy to bust open/pull out, as this MDF piece of shit above.

All due respect, I know what safe Id have a go at doing over first, not my one. My guess is these shop bought safes are the school locker variety, not 6mm e cat ones properly installed.

res
    Even a e cat safe only slows someone who planned ahead down

Those twin blade saws even go thru set ups that would have mucked up a saw a couple of years ago-as a Chch collector found out a few weeks ago during eq repairs,lucky the storage was empty at the time-probably some pissed of crims
    Using Tapatalk

Tools not Toys
    Slowing them down is fine by me, and a decent lock up is more likely to stop an opportunist theft too. I reckon you guys are just trying to convince yourselves that your own shit mdf cabinets are the goods

Tools not Toys
    I know a wee bit about cutting steel too, completely different note, got a 185mm circ saw blade off the Hilti rep, rips straight up the guts of 150UC37 I think it was. like butter. and that's around 10mm steel, not just wimpy 6mm, with a battery skilly. Where are those safes again?? Id still rather have a decent safe.