Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Firewood, buy it or DIY

Firewood, buy it or DIY

Name:  IMG_20190303_122515_458.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  2.31 MB[Name:  IMG_20190304_091540_792.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  1.50 MBATTACH]106443[/ATTACH]

What do you do, this was last Sundays effort. Very dry Macrocarpa been standing for some years. Caught that tree dieses that is going around NZ so down they are coming before the dmage the nieghbours Fiejoa orchard. Pity it was such an awesome day as it's hard to do this type of stuff when everyone else is going past with boats on. Got to wonder if it's money better spent on buying the stuff in. Will also be adding some very old Accia to the shed pile. That stuff litaraly burns like coal, just need a burning wood to get it going. I know you city boys don't really have much choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

We always DIY it, but store the logs under cover until the diving / fishing / hunting is rubbish, and then cut and split.
    That stand of trees looks like it's going to suck up a few weekends for sure.

DIY and no hydraulic splitter!
    gadgetman and tanqueray like this.

Fulla
    I try to get it all done by Xmas before the hot weather. The splitting and stacking sucks me in with the chance to have a burn with the chainsaw.
    If you include your time it would be cheaper to buy it.
    40mm likes this.

Do a bit of both. Like the concept of cutting your own wood and it's good exercise using the axe. Love cutting long straight lengths and then splitting them down for kindling, watch you fingers....

The quantity we use we have to buy some in and don't have easy access to trees...

if it was me I would drop and limb all the trees put them in a stack sitting up on a few thick branches to keep them dry and only ring up and split what you need for coming winter then do next years lot on the days you cant go hunting during winter that way you are not wasting valuable hunting or fishing time during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I try to get it all done by Xmas before the hot weather. The splitting and stacking sucks me in with the chance to have a burn with the chainsaw.
    If you include your time it would be cheaper to buy it.
    If the last bit was true there would be no money in selling it. You can still do Ok selling wood if you are well positioned. A guy here was making $400 every evening after 4 hours of work selling dry macro. That bought him a lot of meth. If you want to see someone look as fucked as humanly possible in the shortest possible time, find someone doing firewood to buy meth.
    muzr257, NRT, tetawa and 3 others like this.

I DIY all of mine as soon as winter is over so that it has plenty of time to dry. Usually a mix of pine and kanuka, as that's what I've got. Also split it by hand, because I enjoy doing so. It isn't cost effective to buy wood.
    More meplat, more better.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    if it was me I would drop and limb all the trees put them in a stack sitting up on a few thick branches to keep them dry and only ring up and split what you need for coming winter then do next years lot on the days you cant go hunting during winter that way you are not wasting valuable hunting or fishing time during the summer.
    Dries out much fast if you leave the tree intact after felling, especially with manuka

The meth probably made him work at double or triple speed.
    I really enjoy doing firewood, its a family get together event. This is the first year we have used a hydraulic splitter, I'd hand split the easy stuff but the knotty shit and a big maple had us buggered. Did 10 cord in 2 days and that included quartering some of the rings with the saw.
    If youve left it a bit late pine is your friend, its dry enough to burn in 2-3 months from green.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I buy in logging truck and trailer loads of logs. It's all been through a processing head so no branches and very little bark to deal with. The truck has a hiab on it so they stack it in a pile on a couple of runners to keep it off the ground. Makes for easy chainsawing. Last 2 loads I have got have been Douglas Fir so I have split the majority of it with an axe. Makes for good fitness!

Works out about $20 per m3 to buy it in, somewhere around 23 to 25 tonne of logs depending on how dry they are which yields about 50m3 of split wood, or 4-5 winters supply for us. I have an office job, so actually quite enjoy the firewood process, especially when I only have to walk a hundred metres from the house to do it.
    NRT, madjon_, tetawa and 3 others like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    My wood supply

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I get mine Del ...... through a yellow pipe and some valves!! It splits itself 4 ways, when it enters the house!
    tetawa and 40mm like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

LBD
    Been there done that and... and is what convinced me to build a house with a heated, insulated, concrete floor... monthly power bill in the coldest winter month last year $310 (large house, Heating, cooking, hot water lighting .............and that includes charging my wife's ipad.

Would not go back to a solid fuel burner... although I would consider a small stove, with a wet back in the shed, that also heats the house underfloor heating water and warms the man cave.
    Maca49 likes this.

An American "pint" different to an English Pint too (US is 473ml vs English at 568ml) so just tell them its a US pint. Blame the yanks for short changing their beersies.......Or better yet get a Kiwi pint 600ml just like a milk bottle for any of you that remembers getting a pint of milk delivered.....