Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Firewood - what and how much?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Firewood - what and how much?

Just moved into a place with a woodburner and need to buy some wood

I;m a bit of a wood noob, so what and how much do we want?
    Gum, pine, beech, poplar, mac??

How longs a cube going to last?

How long is a piece of string ? 4- 6 cubes would do most people in aucks for winter. Depends if you feel the cold you get and have fire going 24/7 like my misses! Best bet is to get a a hot mix.... pine and gum ... Pine easy to light, quick heat but burns quickly , add gum to fire, doesnt burn as easily but is nice and hot.

Always buy fire wood in summer when its at its cheapest and stock pile for winter so ur screwed this year!

Hope that helps

Caretaker
    Pine, poplar and willow are useless, no heat.

Walnut, she oak (casuarina), old man sappy pine, blue gum, fruit/plum, macrocarpa, manuka, kanuka all very good when fully dry.

Its starting to warm up a bit now so a months supply should see you through. 1 cord minimum
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Caretaker
    Find a joinery shop and pay to raid their offcuts bin, you will have a never ending dry timber supply, and its freaking hot burning, just dont burn the tanalised stuff

Why not burn the tannilised ?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Its only for end of this winter

Has to be easy for the Mrs to deal with - ie light - and put in - shut door.

All you'l ever need free at my place, just have to come and get it, cart it back over on the ferry stack it ................ buy an electric heater.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

I burn pine/fruit wood (apple is good) and grape wood...bought the fruitwood for $50 an apple bin...the grapewood burns hot like nukie...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Blue gum, old man pine, manuka = primo

I use 18+ m cubed over winter (probably a bit colder here though..). Measure your firebox and make sure the wood u order will fit it, firewood guy should know what lengths he cuts. This time of year expect to get raped on price and check its not just a pile of smashed up crap before he puts it on the deck

Any one heard of or used maracarta we have old stumps on the roadside that my boy has been hacking away at and bringing bits home,they must of been there for 30 plus years and shit it burns well even when wet.

Caretaker
    Tanalised wood contains three toxic metals, arsenic, chromium and copper, if your woodburner leaks some fumes into the house you will be exposed to these nasties. Apparently quite toxic in small quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Tanalised wood contains three toxic metals, arsenic, chromium and copper, if your woodburner leaks some fumes into the house you will be exposed to these nasties. Apparently quite toxic in small quantities.

Same with tobbaco and alcohol then

Joinery wood burns the best, mainly because it is dry, really dry & it's square edged not round so the fire bites into it.
    Only get wood though not, MDF, Chipboard, Melamine etc.
    These burn like you wouldn't believe & will wreck your firebox, but because of the glue & other crap in them, like Tanilised timber, they are illegal to burn I think ?
    Plywood, LVL might be in the same boat.

Oldman pine burns mint, all that resin

Get plenty, Girls are great at useing it..............

We had about 22 meters here at the start of winter, mostly pine a load of Mac and a couple of loads of willow. Theres about 8 meters left but winters not over yet and we gave 4 meters away on sat to some old foke down the road. Good deed for the winter lol

I just ringed some more pine yesterday for next years supply. It burns well when it still has some sap in it but it works well when dry in our wood burner to.

Mac would be my first choice but hard to find up here. Most wood guys here sell willow for 60 bucks a meter.

You will pay 80 bucks for a meter of Mac there I'd say
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

I've installed log fires 10 yrs and if I had a dollar for every one that asked me what is the best wood !. The best wood as a rule for a log burner is a mix , hardwood and softwood . Value for money blue gum and old man pine is the best . Oregon is over rated and over priced , macro is good but will make the glass door go white and can't see flames ,also eats the consumable bits in the fire box ( air tubes) . Dry old crop wood is three times better . Hope this helps