Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: First ever job interview next week

First ever job interview next week

Please help a brother out! I have never had a job interview before and although I'm 40 next month and this is daunting, being the first...

What sort of things do I need to ask for or try and negotiate? Job will be a part office, part site visiting role, include some travelling throughout the entire country so will come with things like office, mobile phone, laptop, vehicle etc.

Things I can think of that I may need to discuss are:-

Kiwi saver.
    Vehicle authorised for part private use.

Anything else to look out for?

Initial stated salary has a 20k range so a bit of scope there. I'm guessing they will start at the bottom... Do you negotiate set review timeframes?

I'm easy going, not demanding and usually very reluctant to ask or negotiate, I tend to accept what is offered but this is a big change for me.

Cheers.

Make sure you get a week off in the roar, opening weekend for ducks. See if you can get an up-grade on the vehicle to 4wd so you have a hunting wagon. Regular times during the day for social media and Trade Me. I hope it is your first job interview and not your first job.
    Sako 243, Munsey, Toby and 4 others like this.

I've had a lot of interviews maybe still be thinking about selling yourself before the technical stuff. You have an interview, not the job (yet).

Look at the job description and make a list of skills you have that tick off their listed core competencies. Think of examples of past experiences and write them down too. Bring in you prepared answers to the interview.

They will ask you if you have any questions, think of them first. It's always good to have something to ask! More like where the business is going or something specific about a business objective or project, not "when is my first pay rise?"

In my experience I have wheeled and dealed pay rate AFTER I've been offered the position. Although I have sometimes asked the rate if they haven't already given their ball park.

During the interview, try to relax and ask questions throughout. Be yourself and have fun - it's a time where everything is mostly about YOU and you should be talking yourself up big.

Enjoy and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bryan, Sako 243, Munsey and 3 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Exactly what Dougie said, your points are better negotiated after the position has been offered to you.

They love to ask experience questions which can be really tough to think of on the spot, so what Dougie said again.

Try and fond something personable you can relate to with them, people like to work with people who share similar interests.

Good luck man!
    Sako 243 and Dougie like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Don't talk about pay and usage of company vehicle. Show an interest in the company (do some background checks), what you have to offer and what they can offer you. Make a list of questions you want to ask them. If you are short listed you will have to work harder at this. When they make an offer of a job and discuss remuneration then is the time to talk about company vehicle and let them know that you would like to continue with the age old tradition of taking the 1st week of April off.
    If you don't like what they offer then say so and show them you can negotiate
    Sako 243, Dougie, BRADS and 2 others like this.

Definitely not my first job

Straight out of school into a 9 month pre-vocational trade course. The boss came and asked me if I liked the work and so I was offered an apprenticeship during my final work experience placement. 4 years later, he again asked me if I wanted to continue work and would I be workshop foreman.

Left a few years later and worked for my parents.

Shifted back to NZ and started and run 2 successful service based businesses over the past 15 years. So although I have never been unemployed, I have never had to sit through an interview or even submit a CV!!

This potential job is working for one of my largest clients. The job role will involve the work I have done for them but also include other aspects as well. They have asked me to come in for a 'meeting' so it's not an advertised job. Initial discussions late last year were exploratory and included various ideas and options for both continuing outsourcing to me or employing someone like me directly to handle it in-house.

I'm not assuming anything yet, going in with an open mind and will be assessing what's best for me and my family either staying as I am as an independent contractor or working directly for an employer. I want to be aware of what things are likely to come up for discussion.

Cheers, John
    sako75 likes this.

mobile phone fair usage , ie , talk and internet time , email policy at wrk , whats allowed and what will get you fired etc etc .......
    Sako 243 likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

res
    For me set review times has always been a big thing. The more the better as if you get say three a year they know you don't expect more $ every time and it lets both party's work on it becoming a bette mutually beneficial relationship. Yearly review is just a pay grab and they know it so line up there counter arguments.
    sako75 and Sako 243 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

If they already know you, be yourself but make sure you both understand each others expectations, good luck
    gadgetman and Sako 243 like this.

Oh I'm sooo glad we have recruited for our new team. Interviews are even worse on the other side.

Be yourself. Give them REAL examples of your skills if required. Worry about negotiating pay,car etc after you get an offer. Good luck.

I could rattle off all sorts of crap to make myself sound like I know heaps in this space but meh. Be confident but not cocky
    Sako 243 likes this.

They already know you so be yourself. You know what the story is. The interview has been going for years. Just watch you don't get trapped and end up worse for wear.
    If they want you, you set the terms without been too greedy. Give and take on both sides
    Sako 243 likes this.

I've only been to one job interview in my life so I'm not much use, though it did get me through to the last round of two. As the others have said be yourself, talk yourself up honestly, have your thoughts organised, smile and RELAX. It might be hard but that last part will make all the other bits easier, so start with being prepared and early.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ive been the interviewer on many occasions and endorse Dougie and Sako75.
    BE PUNCTUAL arrive a few minutes early. Be prepared to be interview earlier than the stated time. The previous interviewee may have been rubbish and they ended it early.
    Make good eye contact be confident but not cocky
    I strongly recommend doing your homework on the Company and study the job description.
    Relaxing is important as is being yourself.
    Also listen carefully to questions if you don't know the answer don't guess just say you don't know.
    If you don't understand the question just say your not sure what your being asked.
    A frequent question is what will you be doing in say 5 years from now. I always liked answers that showed ambition.

Good Luck I hope it goes well.
    gadgetman, Sako 243 and Scouser like this.
    Hunting is relaxing just like Yoga except I get to kill something.
    If it Flies it dies and if it hops it drops.

Make sure your pants are pulled up with no boxers showing and don't text while in the interview (something a lot of young people should learn).
    Good luck.
    sako75 and Sako 243 like this.

In an interview you need to find out about the company you are going get out of bed every morning to work for, it's not just who you are and what you have to offer.
    Ask them about the company, their direction, where they are going to be in 5 years, what is their business philosophy, what would make them a good company to work for etc without been too over the top