Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: First time house buyers. Any advice?

First time house buyers. Any advice?

I'm buying my first house right now. Anyone have tips for a first time home buyer? We haven't closed but we are nearly there. Anything you wish you knew before closing? After?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Joombo. Assuming you are talking about an existing home then aslong as you have had a LIM report and builders report and have read them and are satisfied that all is well then there shouldn't be any hidden fish hooks.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Doesn’t hurt to get a Plumber and Sparky to take a look if you know one, have heard of a few nightmares with DIY disasters rearing there heads and can be costly to put right.
    Scooby and Sideshow like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

what is the cladding, roof type and is it on poles or concrete floor?
    Steve123 and Moa Hunter like this.
    Use enough gun

Make sure everything has been sighned off
    Scooby and Maca49 like this.

Get the property file from the council.
    Check for unpermitted garages alterations etc.
    Get a official inspection report if the bank insists otherwise get a builder you know to have a look off the record.
    Do your own drug test. You can get kits from Placemakers for bugger all.
    Check what's listed as chattels on the sale agreement

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Scooby likes this.

Check the lim report for 'rights of access' and make sure the real estate agent / previous owner shows you where the property boundaries are (should be able to find the survey pegs)
    Scooby likes this.

ask the agent "is there anything else I should now about that may influence someone purchasing this property".
    Ask the agent if that have asked the owners that too, if they haven't. make them and report back to you.
    (friends did this and then found out after that the properties neighbors were putting a 2nd story on their place that would influence shade/sun on the property and one room. the owners selling had signed off on the ok to do so.
    didnt tell the new owners during the sale period and so they took them to court and got a pay out saying that they should have been told and weren't.)

Check the property at various times of the day to see what the suns/lights doing. it may seem minor in the whole scheme of things, but can create a bugbear later on
    if residential area, check around for 'boy racer' signs - rubber on the road etc.
    Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.

check the fall of the section to make sure that it doesn't become a swimming pool after heavy rain , seen some that could only go on the market in the summer as in winter the back lawns where a swamp. also look at any trees on the neighbouring properties to see if any branch overhang that might need attended to as sometimes neighbours don't agree on getting trees cut back and also leaf fall as in deciduous trees that might mean having to clean spoutings for a few months every autumn.
    Steve123 and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    ask the agent "is there anything else I should now about that may influence someone purchasing this property".
    Ask the agent if that have asked the owners that too, if they haven't. make them and report back to you.
    (friends did this and then found out after that the properties neighbors were putting a 2nd story on their place that would influence shade/sun on the property and one room. the owners selling had signed off on the ok to do so.
    didnt tell the new owners during the sale period and so they took them to court and got a pay out saying that they should have been told and weren't.)

Check the property at various times of the day to see what the suns/lights doing. it may seem minor in the whole scheme of things, but can create a bugbear later on
    if residential area, check around for 'boy racer' signs - rubber on the road etc.
    This scenario happened to people we know too. The agent knew of next doorís plans and didnít tell the buyers. Cost the agent big time financially, and damaged their reputation in our small village where she happens to live. Muppet.

I'd check the water pressure too. Don't need a crappy shower.
    Steve123 likes this.

And with all the advice from above get it in writing because if it all turns to custard you have that written prove and not he said she said!!!!!
    Good luck hope it's a happy home
    223nut likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

check out the neighborhood on a fri/sat night to find out if you have party neighbours

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I don't know if it is true, but when we were house-hunting we were told that if you don't ask this sort of question, the agent has no obligation to tell you, so if you don't ask you have no comeback. Different story if you do ask and they withhold information.

Make sure that you are getting the best interest rate possible. Over time this will make a bigger difference than anything else. The difference between a 4% interest rate and a 5% rate is 25% more interest. NOT 1%. Buy a property that has potential to increase in value through you improving it, gardens, trees, tidy up etc. If it is new it will only increase in lock-step with properties around it.