Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: fish smoker

fish smoker

Hi can someone please tell me if those Large Portable smokers are any good at the Warehouse they on special for 39 dollars as i might get 1 for possum trapper for xmas.

yep they are good.
    mrs dundee likes this.

yea there sweet as
    mrs dundee likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs dundee View Post
    Hi can someone please tell me if those Large Portable smokers are any good at the Warehouse they on special for 39 dollars as i might get 1 for possum trapper for xmas.
    @mrs dundee

I have two, one enamel and one Stainless Steel (just like the warehouse one) and they both work really well.

They are hot smokers. Meaning they will cook and smoke at the same time.

Freshly Smoked trout and Smoked Eel is fantastic.

Smoked sausages, bacon and smoked hard boiled eggs are bloody good too.

We've even smoked walnuts and peanuts.

I'm sure PT would love serving up some meals for you that he's cooked and smoked Himself.

I use Manuka but FCO also has a range of different woods from Apple and Cherry to Hickory and Pohutukawa

Each gives off different flavours and colour.

Cheers
    Pete
    mrs dundee and Scouser like this.

To be honest, the Manuka shavings that the red Shed sells are really bloody good. Stainless over galv every day, more hygienic, easier to clean and last longer. Good Xmas idea for a hunter gather, agree 110% with P38. What could be better than the PT supplying tea for all and cooking it as well.
    mrs dundee likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    To be honest, the Manuka shavings that the red Shed sells are really bloody good. Stainless over galv every day, more hygienic, easier to clean and last longer. Good Xmas idea for a hunter gather, agree 110% with P38. What could be better than the PT supplying tea for all and cooking it as well.
    Do they sell galved ones? F*** eating outta one of them pure poisen
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Do they sell galved ones? F*** eating outta one of them pure poisen
    puts lead in ya pencil :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Hi Dundee,
    I got me a Stainless steel one. It works pretty good. Like P38 says they are meant to be a hot smoker. But it is easy to modify. I don't like using the Galvanised ones, as after years of abuse to the body, the last thing I need is any further Alzheimer's symptoms ( All ready slightly retarded after a few to many shandies). The other thing I avoid with hot smoking is using the meths dishes. they give a slightly how shall we say petrol flavour. Might be what you like if yr from the Bombay side of Auckland.
    I prefer to use the GAs BBQ instead to give it a clean heat, and no petroleum residue on yr fish, meat etc. The other thing I some times do is use a old flue to make it a cold smoker. If you have a bank or hump in the ground near by, I dig a hole and light a smoky fire in it, and cover the top up with tin or a old steel bucket, put the old flue at the top for a vent and then set it pointing up the bank or dirt hump, with the smoker sitting at the top. This way the smoke will go up the flue cool down (Cold Smoke) and smoke yr fish, meat etc. She is rough as guts but is a fun day with the kids to set up and cook the tucker.
    I have on a couple of occasions done the full cave man and used green Manuka tee pee at the top of the flue for a smoke house for smoking legs of meat. Takes ages, but if you take yr time and are careful comes out int

Nothing worng with those stainless smokers mrs dundee when I use mine I use the clear meths not the purple stuff then it does not give the funny flavour that the coloured meths gives off but as deadidick says aswell the gas bbq is mint for supplying heat I used to use my gas bbq for that alot till the bloody thing gave up the ghost and now have a charcoal bbq.
    mrs dundee likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

@mrs dundee, I really like the stainless smoker...works a treat...for fish, I have used apple and kanuka sawdust...not too much kanuka though as it is quite strong.. @Chris recommended to me ages ago about pouhutukawa sawdust, but alas I have not yet used it...smoked mussels are fabulous...
    mrs dundee likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    @mrs dundee, I really like the stainless smoker...works a treat...for fish, I have used apple and kanuka sawdust...not too much kanuka though as it is quite strong.. @Chris recommended to me ages ago about pouhutukawa sawdust, but alas I have not yet used it...smoked mussels are fabulous...
    Smoked mussel's amen

Yeah Eeebees & I blend it with equal amount of manuka saw dust 50/50 . + all the marinade that goes on the fish over night 1st.
    The big stainless ware house ones are great,when they open round the rivets just line it with tin foil.

See if Rushy or Philip add any thing .
    Gun control means using both hands

Thanks everyone for you information,off to town 2morrow after i feed my calfs.
    EeeBees likes this.

Personally i love to fillet or butterfly fish then sprinkle with salt and pile on the brown sugar. Stoke it up with manuka chips and bloody hell your not alive until you've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs dundee View Post
    Thanks everyone for you information,off to town 2morrow after i feed my calfs.
    Dear mrs dundee
    Call me a idiot but its bugging me to know. dundee on the forum is ur husband right and is possum trapper is your son?