Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Free view troubles

Free view troubles

Any one here who's good with technology?

Moved into a new rental that has a satellite dish, plugged in my Sony TV with built in free view, did an auto tune search and it only managed to pick up 5 channels, none of which were the normal ones, just ones I didn't know existed. TV worked fine at the last place I lived at.
    Is it just a case of point the dish in a different direction, or do I need to get someone out to have a look?

Cheers

Generally Inbuilt freeview recivers do not work with a dish, Was it plugged into a normal antenna at your last address?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Generally Inbuilt freeview recivers do not work with a dish, Was it plugged into a normal antenna at your last address?
    Yes it was.
    Do I need another antenna then? Or buy a dish TV receiver?

Mikee is right, TVs with built-in Freeview tuners receive signal through a UHF antenna.

Yes, you'll need either a satellite receiver box to use the existing dish or you'll need to install a UHF antenna to use your TV's tuner.

The only down side with DVB-S (satellite) is that you won't receive TV1, 2 and 3 in HD because it uses the Optus D1 NZ satellite which carries the Sky channels, so its bandwidth is max'd out.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

So yes there tech savvy people here.

Will I need to put a UHF antenna on the roof or can you get half decent bunny ear type things?
    Or is buying a mew box going to be the best easiest way of getting it to work?

How do you go about using the receiver box with the tv that already has free view?

My father in law has a fandangled free view box which records tv as well, he uses it with an antenna. Will the receiver boxes work with both a satellite and antenna, or do you have to choose which box you get?

Buy a uhf antena. And if you still only pick up a few google the three frequencies and do a manual tune. Mines 51,53 and 55 from memory. Some of the samsungs auto tune fuck out. Not sure about other brands

Which of the locations you in?

I'd be getting a UHF antenna, gives more choices with channels. Pretty much all the freeview set to boxes will allow you to record onto a pen drive or external HDD.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I am in the Morrinsville area, but rural in the Orini region.

Hi Beetroot, try this out for your location it will tell you if you can get UHF. You might need a big antenna where you live.
    Freeview Coverage Check - Freeview

Should just be mt te arawa. Thats 51,53 and 55 i think. But you need a uhf

Like others have said your freeview is the terrestrial one that requires UHF antenna, you will need to buy a new box if you want to use the sky dish. I went away from the freeview boxes and bought an igloo box (still requires a UHF antenna) so I can can get a few of the sky channels for $20 a month as I am a comedy central and discovery channel addict
    hunter270 likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Cheers guys. Ill probably just buy a digital receiver, as we are renting cant be bothered with the cost and hassel with landlord to get an antenna put up.

Will either buy one of the dish tv bog standard receivers, or maybe the recorder of the same make.

The ones at the warehouse work well enough and they have some deals on at the moment.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I went out and brought a satellite freeview box, but don't seem to work grrrrrr.

Think the dish on this house is either A) stuffed, or B) not aimed in the right direction.

Today cant even pick up the 5 rubbish channels plugged straight into the TV like before, so it's no wonder it's not picking up anything when in the box.

Anyone got some ideas what to do next?

Uhf aerial