Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Freeview UHF reception dodgy

Freeview UHF reception dodgy

So I moved into a new place last November. The aerial is a UHF aerial and usually the signal strength is 9 sometimes a 6 or 7. Every now and again it drops right out and currently have no signal.
    Anyone know what sort of signal booster I can get to improve reception?

Is the aerial in the right spot?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

I think we are on the edge of UHF reception. When we moved into the house 3 months ago the reception signal was a 9 to 7 for all channels. Last night we couldn't get any channels at all. Now can get most channels with a signal of 6. We will go weeks with no issues, then lose the channels for a while.
    The previous owners had some sort of signal booster, but didn't leave it when they left.

Even in town the signal is shithouse

basic run down: in a domestic residence all cable should be RG6. a yagi antenna (long pointy one) will give you gain but a phased antenna (looks like a dish rack) is better for scattered signal.
    amplifiers are just that, you put crap in, you get crap out.
    amps are for distributing a good signal to multiple outlets, i have set up systems with one antenna and 100's of outlets.
    unless you have decent signal to start with no electronic marvel will sort it out
    gadgetman and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    basic run down: in a domestic residence all cable should be RG6. a yagi antenna (long pointy one) will give you gain but a phased antenna (looks like a dish rack) is better for scattered signal.
    amps are for distributing a good signal to multiple outlets, i have set up systems with one antenna and 100's of outlets.
    unless you have decent signal to start with no electronic marvel will sort it out
    Yup. What this man said.

The only way to get a better signal is a better antenna, though the amp can help if it is a very long cable run too. Improved my sisters signal quality by replacing the amp with a passive junction box.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have the same problem with fringe reception on a terrestrial based freeview transmission. I raised the antenna , fitted a mast head amplifier and RG6 cable(was RG59) and trimmed all trees in the signal path on my property. Where previously I would get continuous dropout ,frame freeze and distorted sound it is now nearly 100% YAHOO. You could try the same or go to a dish.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    Yes, get a phased array antenna if there are noise sources. Sounds like there may be something generating noise signal which intermittently disturbs your signal - an interfering signal will reduce your signal strength by increasing the noise. The important thing is signal-to-noise ratio. Just amplifying the signal will also amplify the noise, so make sure most of what you amplify is signal, and how you do that is by changing or repositioning your antenna. Problem with intermittent noise sources (could be your neighbour, the batchelor, who only runs his washing machine once a fortnight) is that you won't see whether what you do to solve the problem works straight away - you have to sit back and let a few weeks pass!!!

Directional antennas are key - they reduce signals that they do not point straight at, AND boost what you point them at.

NB! As with the talk of real gunsmiths elsewhere on the forum, it is worth getting someone qualified in to set it up for you, maybe ask them to put up an FM aerial for your stereo at the same time. Some gifts to yourself keep on giving.
    Last edited by Cordite; 08-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Yes, get a phased array antenna if there are noise sources. Sounds like there may be something generating noise signal which intermittently disturbs your signal - an interfering signal will reduce your signal strength by increasing the noise. The important thing is signal-to-noise ratio. Just amplifying the signal will also amplify the noise, so make sure most of what you amplify is signal, and how you do that is by changing or repositioning your antenna. Problem with intermittent noise sources (could be your neighbour, the batchelor, who only runs his washing machine once a fortnight) is that you won't see whether what you do to solve the problem works straight away - you have to sit back and let a few weeks pass!!!

Directional antennas are key - they reduce signals that they do not point straight at, AND boost what you point them at.

NB! As with the talk of real gunsmiths elsewhere on the forum, it is worth getting someone qualified in to set it up for you, maybe ask them to put up an FM aerial for your stereo at the same time. Some gifts to yourself keep on giving.
    remember FM antennas are 45 degree slant not vertical or horizontal. ahh the good old days of broadcast engineering

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yup. What this man said.

The only way to get a better signal is a better antenna, though the amp can help if it is a very long cable run too. Improved my sisters signal quality by replacing the amp with a passive junction box.
    yup. amps ( just put an 8 way in the new house) are great for distribution. but need a decent signal in otherwise you just amplify crap

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yup. What this man said.

yup. amps ( just put an 8 way in the new house) are great for distribution. but need a decent signal in otherwise you just amplify crap
    Cordite likes this.

If you want to check that the aerial is pointed in the right direction go to www.matchmaster.co.na and use their antenna selection guide then hit the review transmitter tab and it will give you a compass direction for the antenna and a google earth overview. I would try a 15db masthead amp first that you should be able to get from any electrical wholesaler. the only other thing is that a Telco could be testing a new 4G cell tower in your area, this will certainly wipe out any Tv signal if you are close enough to the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by North guy View Post
    If you want to check that the aerial is pointed in the right direction go to www.matchmaster.co.na and use their antenna selection guide then hit the review transmitter tab and it will give you a compass direction for the antenna and a google earth overview. I would try a 15db masthead amp first that you should be able to get from any electrical wholesaler. the only other thing is that a Telco could be testing a new 4G cell tower in your area, this will certainly wipe out any Tv signal if you are close enough to the tower.
    4G in NZ operates on the 1800MHz frequency and UHF Freeview between 502MHz - 622MHz so how would it interfere with a TV broadcast?
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

- Manservant

When NZ went digital they sold off channel 56 to channel 64 to the telco's. Freeview in NZ operates between channel 27 and channel 40 to accomodate the Telcos. Feel free to check out the channel allocation chart put out by Kordia. I do commercial Tv system installation for my day job :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    4G in NZ operates on the 1800MHz frequency and UHF Freeview between 502MHz - 622MHz so how would it interfere with a TV broadcast?
    Correct, will not usually be a problem, but close up there are lots of electronic emanations that play in. Just think of your mobile phone in the centre console of your car, interfering with the car radio with loud clicks and hums.

There is also the problem of your own receiving device, that it may be faulty, substandard, in that it picks up transmissions (which you call interference) that it is not meant to pick up, but then it is strictly speaking your fault. Most domestic radio receivers will not be made to such a high standards as a car radio receiver, which must be designed to reject interference from the car's ignition system. Some TVs may also pick up interference they should be built to reject, such as from cordless phones.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

The Hedgehog Preservation Society