Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Freeview UHF reception dodgy

Quote Originally Posted by North guy View Post
    When NZ went digital they sold off channel 56 to channel 64 to the telco's. Freeview in NZ operates between channel 27 and channel 40 to accomodate the Telcos. Feel free to check out the channel allocation chart put out by Kordia. I do commercial Tv system installation for my day job :-)
    down here in chch . the "muzak" was on the 870MHz frequency band called :instant music at the time

@gonetropo

45degrees? I always thought FM transmissions were vertically polarised. You learn something new every day.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

4G - 700MHz (Band 28) 4G Extended which is the cell frequeny NZ now use to get better distances than the old 1800mhz freq, lower the frequency the further it goes. Tv tuners in NZ have UHF tuners in them therefore they recieve all frequencies from 470mhz up to 860mhz. A 4G cellphone signal at 700 - 780 mhz will flood or drown the tuner if the cell signal is stronger than the inbound Tv signal therefore causing pixelation because the tuner goes into overload. The reason for the switch to 700mhz was so your kids can watch Shortland street in FULL 1080HD while waiting for the bus.
    Ryan likes this.

you need a signal strength meter as with uhf signals can be very positional as in 150mm either side or up or down can be the difference .trees affect the signal when moving but quite often with no wind reception through them can be fine .you also need to check that the shielding wires on the coax are connected and are also not touching centre wire .if you have a directional aerial with the screens at the back try pulling them wider out to 90 degrees from aerial direction if you get ghosting ( double picture ) narrow them up by pushing more into line with aerial direction .I have walked thousands of roofs looking for uhf signal and know how finicky it can be getting some one with a strength meter to position the aerial might cost you some money but is a lot easier than trying with an aerial as they can test all channels to get best spot.using rg6 coax and f type fittings also helps with minimal losses as well use f type splitters as these have the lowest loss compared to the old screw type .if you want an fm radio aerial have one in the garage new and unused .

Situation update. I've worked out the cause of the signal loss was using an HDMI cable to connect our Panasonic hard drive with freeview decoder to the TV. When I use the red/yellow/white cables signal quality is great and I can get all channels. When I use the HDMI cable I can't get any of the TVNZ channels and the quality of the other channels is not as good.