Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Twoshotkill
  • 1 Post By chrome

Thread: Fried cordless drill battery

Fried cordless drill battery

Down working on the gun room this arvo with the cordless drill (18v black and decker fire storm), had my spare battery charging needed to do a quick cut with the skill saw so just pulled the charger lead out to plug saw in and as I did this a the battery fizzed up and smoke started pissing out. Dragged it outside with the cord where it continued to smoke and fizzle till I smothered it with the fire extinguisher.

Got my shits up because I would often leave the battery on charge unsupervised, sheesh wont do that again.

Did I do something wrong? as far as I could see all the gear was in good nick it wouldn't be older than 6 years and had fuck all use.

I had a B&D 14.4v do the same thing. Battery cells had failed/shorted and the charger had a melt down. Only took a couple of minutes to do it. As you found out, was also very lucky to be around when it happened. Nothing salvageable from it.
    It's cheaper to buy a compete package than a battery and charger.
    Put the old drill on TM $1res.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

That is why it is difficult getting Li-Po batteries in from overseas at the moment, they had them go like that in one of the newer Boeing 777's (I think). Was part of the aircraft's electrical system. There are a couple of things that can happen. In the +ve end you see a series of small holes and if the pressure gets too much the battery will vent out though these. Worse is when the battery actually catches fire.

In the battery packs they don't gave the protection on the individual cells like we use in the torches. I'm very tempted to convert mine to protected 18650 batteries.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    Did I do something wrong?
    Yes.....

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    black and decker fire storm
    Is where you went wrong!
    big_foot and POME like this.
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!

I would never leave lithiun Iron batteries charging unattended. They can and do catch fire - -they have been recorded on security footage bursting into flames - - Weta Workshop was one I can recall catching it on camera.

Li on battery technology has had its problems, my suggestion is to buy, Hitachi, Makita, I have no end of trouble with AEG, Milwaukee, Dewalts good, is Black annd Decker,but shit for service,Bosch good but Aussie based for parts but getting better again in NZ. Panasonic expense, but OK,The rest are just handyman. Ryobi good handyman with good back up, but run out tools and spares fast,
    Hitachi and Makita NZ based and excellent to deal with.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

solder wires to it and use it 12volt off your car/quad/4wd, keep it in your tool kit and buy a new one for everyday use
    Maca49 likes this.

Guess it will work drill is 18v, might just go slow ?. Have always just left my spare battery on charge (milwaukee li ion) but will be changing that habit now in light of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    Yes.....

Is where you went wrong!
    It was inherited so no money wasted

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    solder wires to it and use it 12volt off your car/quad/4wd, keep it in your tool kit and buy a new one for everyday use
    My booster pack just bit the kumara the other day (im not having a good run on electronics at the moment am I) so that'll be a good use for the crocodiles