Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: fukn computer shit

fukn computer shit

so i know fuk all about computers except they know i dont like them so they give me shit my problem is my old laptop is slowing down or some shit so i had an idea which is gat an external hard drive or storage thing that was the easy bit i went and got a wd elements se thing easy i thought says you can plug it in and copy and paste shit into it after a couple of hours nope doesnt seem to work like that no fukn intructions and fukall i can find online about it box says in contents portable hard drive yep got that usb cable yep got that wd discovery software think thats what shows up in apps part of computer quick install guide fuked if i know where that is internet activation required how the fuk do you do that any one got any ideas cheers nd

Banned
    Reboot your laptop. After it finishes booting to windows, plug the drive in. Does windows recognize the drive and automatically install the software drivers? If not you might have to go to Western Digital website and manually download the drivers.

Which operating system are you running? What drive are you trying to install.

I can help, but need this information.

Banned
    here is the link that will take you to their manually installed drivers. If you know your OS, choose the dload that matches your OS. Now for the good part. Disconnect the portable drive BEFORE you install the driver suite and software.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/produc...3#WD_downloads

After the install is complete, reboot your laptop

Now after the reboot is done, plug in the drive and you will be good to go.

What are you trying to copy, pics, or the whole computer drive?

If it is just pics, then drag and drop works fine.

If you are trying to copy the contents fo the laptop to do a wiper and reinstall, partition magic or ghost will be your best bet.
    veitnamcam likes this.

i take it rebooting is restarting the computer ill do that in a minute pretty sure its windows 10 havnt had any problems with it i can see the drive and it put software in the computer i think as its an app that wasnt there before
    Got Juice? likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    i take it rebooting is restarting the computer ill do that in a minute pretty sure its windows 10 havnt had any problems with it i can see the drive and it put software in the computer i think as its an app that wasnt there before
    You sound like you have it under control. When you click on the file explorer icon in your taskbar (looks like a file folder) it should bring up all the populated peripheral drives in your computer. They will be named, and you should see your WD drive on there. you might need to open it up in its own window if you intend to drag and drop files or copy and paste them over.

I can see the drive but it wont open not sure on the computer talk but when you try and put something in the external thing it doesn't actualy go into it but sits beside it in the same folder or whatever it is part of the computer im moving pics documents and just anything I havnt looked at for ages but might want to keep

I can see the drive but it wont open not sure on the computer talk but when you try and put something in the external thing it doesn't actualy go into it but sits beside it in the same folder or whatever it is part of the computer im moving pics documents and just anything I havnt looked at for ages but might want to keep
    Sounds like you are queueing the stuff up for the optical drive.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Format it first? Right click on it and select format
    northdude likes this.

ok most of what ive read says to format it so ill try it hope it doesn't stop it as it looks like it came with files or something on it

ok most of what ive read says to format it so ill try it hope it doesn't stop it as it looks like it came with files or something on it
    Probably comes with some backup software on it, which tends to be pretty awful, and you shouldn't cry over wiping the drive.
    northdude likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

fuk it worked for someone that knows as little as me about computers and has done it accidently before when the word format comes up I stay away from it whatever was on it must of been blocking anything from going on the drive
    gadgetman, Gibo and Got Juice? like this.

Good on ya lads! Takes a team haha.
    Glad it’s up and running for ya now
    northdude likes this.

Na man, re booting requires steel cap work boots and lots of annoying computers.
    I can help, hell Ill pay you if I can help.
    Use enough gun

yea last time I formatted something it was an sd card out of a camera so been wary since
    40mm likes this.

thanks for the help everyone