Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

FV Amaltal Columbia abandoned

Mrs sent me msg while I was asleep so is few hrs old now, but the Columbia has been abandoned off East Coast Sth Island due to fire on board.
    Was on her in 08

I read the article this morning, I think the crew are back on land now. Apparently they fought the fire for 3-4hrs before they abandoned ship.

Link: Fishing Boat On Fire Off Christchurch | Stuff.co.nz
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Yea heard that, was on her sister ship the Atlantis, been trying to think how a fire could start in the meal hold. Electrical or smoking is what springs to mind. Meal bag over a steam pipe? cooking scampie? fuck knows.
    Also it didnt say if it started in the hold itself or the meal plant.

Fire at sea,probably the greatest risk and probability to vessel and crew.

As an aside spent around a year at sea on an Argintinian vessel(30+years old) that had burnt out the accommodation 3 yes 3 times.
    They still had naked bar heaters in the cabins exactly like the element in your stove that the crew hung clothes over to dry

This company had a number of sinking's in fair weather close to land, Insurance anyone?

The kiwi contingent of myself and 3 other key personnel had to refuse to sail until the forward hatches had some working dogs on them, one good wave over the bow could have lifted the hatch and filled the hold with a couple thousand tonnes of water. It had been like that for years but we were fishing the horn.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.