Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gallipoli 2015

Gallipoli 2015

Have your say, I hope this isn't political? Quite interesting questions. I enjoyed thinking about this and completing the survey.

Gallipoli 2015

Che che
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Done, as an ex-Infanteer I would be very interested in attending, never managed to get picked to go while I was in Singas or Burnham. Read alot about it tho, very interesting, even the mighty Churchill wasn't perfect...................................
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

I have a friend that works in defence house and co-ordinates these sorts of events. I wouldn't have even thought about the need for people like her before she got the job! It's really interesting eh BT, I enjoyed reading about it and being able to have my say about how the ballot system should work.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Also - will you apply to be in the ballot? I think I will, and cross the bridge of paying for the trip when I come to it....what a great experience it would be.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    Done, as an ex-Infanteer I would be very interested in attending, never managed to get picked to go while I was in Singas or Burnham. Read alot about it tho, very interesting, even the mighty Churchill wasn't perfect...................................
    Ditto BT. I have been to Turkey three times and have sailed past Gallipoli twice and still haven't been there. That will be an occasion that jerks a few tears from old soldiers eyes. I would certainly like to go.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Learnt recently that my father's uncle made it to the top of the hill twice (and survived)...my mother's uncle was lost in action...they found only his watch...

Read a book about the going ons on Gallipoli a few years ago...much of the memoirs were about food of course, bully beef, tea, raspberry jam, cabin bread....so I thought if they could do it, so should I ...lasted a week and couldnt stomach it any longer...!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

That would have been tough for him EeeBees, those Turkish snipers definitely had the advantage of the high ground and the motivation of defending their homeland from invaders. It would have been hell on earth.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

I have been to Gallipoli a five or six times. I think it is better to go when it 's not ANZAC day as you get to see more and really appreciate what they went through. It blew me away the first time I went and stared up to the high ground.

If I do ever get there I know that it will choke me up. Could you / did you take a walk up? I imagine that the only way to really understand the difficulties and terror that confronted the young soldiers at the time would be to cover some of the ground and then think about the adversity of having hundreds of well positioned riflemen sniping away at you while you did that.

No shame in choking up over it Rushy, I would imagine I'd be drowning in tears if I could walk up there. Not even being born in this country doesn't matter to me - I am part of Tumatuenga and that's that. I can appreciate what all members of war have gone through. I am especially proud of the ANZACs.

I got a huge lump in my throat and was struggling to hold back tears when those kids showed me a rehersal of their Maori Battallion play.

Yeah I done the walk up but to be honest it was looking up from ANZAC cove that sent the most chills up my spine. And then to look out from Chunuk Bair and realise what a monumental fuk up the brits had gotten us into made me slightly angry. Well worth the visit but defiantly better when it's not ANZAC day, you get a better 'feel' for the place when it's quiet.