Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Getting in shape for the roar?

Aly

Getting in shape for the roar?

Hey mateys just wondering and wanting a bit of wisdom...
    I've been having shite health for months now (since November-ish) which means in terms of fitness, especially tramping/hunting, I'm almost back to ground zero where I feel about as fit these days as a couch potato. Probably not quite as unfit haha but I'm back to being able to do more than go for hour long walks around the block each day which I'm stoked about!
    I'd easily say hunting trips would have a lot more demand on the body than any tramping trips I've got coming up, especially with different terrains/bushwhacking/longer hours spent in the sun etc - so besides regular tramping with packs, what do you all reckon is best for fitness training from now until (for example) going on a hunt during the roar?
    Or more in general, what are the best kind of ways to prepare and get fit for any kind of demanding hunt (with a few weeks to a month in advance)- whether it's a day trip to multi day?

Keen to hear what people have to say

Got a ridiculous amount of outdoor events coming up which I'm looking forward to but obviously need to prepare for haha!!

Do nothing, eat a pie the morning of the hunt and let the roaring keep you going haha

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Do nothing, eat a pie the morning of the hunt and let the roaring keep you going haha
    Mmmmmm pie
    7mmsaum, GravelBen and Toby like this.

K95
    Rowing machine. Anything that uses legs and core for a long time.

When I was riding there was nothing like being "bike fit" you could go hunting all you like then if you hadn't got on the bike for a while it would be serious arm pump.
    The point here is while any exercise will be of benefit of course nothing will prepare you for carrying a pack up and down hill (if that is what you intend to do?) like carrying a pack up and down hill.
    Savage1, JoshC, Dougie and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

res
    Interval training on a rowing machine is hard to beat.
    Or if you need a guided experience the less mills rpm spin classes are very good for kicking your fitness into shape fast if you do 5 or so classes a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Every morning 200m before I turn into my place of works drive I laugh at the people running out of the jym and down the street and back. Its a great start to my day truly.

You pay 500? bucks a year to join a gym so you can run down the street in public just like you can do for free
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Every morning 200m before I turn into my place of works drive I laugh at the people running out of the jym and down the street and back. Its a great start to my day truly.

You pay 500? bucks a year to join a gym so you can run down the street in public just like you can do for free
    nah you join a gym so you can say "I'm going to the gym" to your workmates and sound all Jaffa'ish. i'd rather take the mutts walking.

Hey ally,

I don't think you could go wrong with the following - boring as f$&@ but it gets the right specific systems stretched and cardio mix.

I'd be on the bike for cardio - time trial type on a trainer if you have one blocks 5 mins hard (and I mean hard 90to 100% of max) 3 mins easy x5 this build you CV threshold and will be great for connective tissue such as ligaments and muscle.

Core (the one every one forgets but almost as important) lower and mid abdominals and will also create balance for your legs and lungs...

Strength 10x20 squat walks I'll quad stretch and bend will build strength quad / hip flexor and build balance as well as well as strengthen connective tissue.

If you have a Swiss ball - 30 x 5 roll ups or crunches and 30 superman either on ball or floor opposite arm opposite leg.

Stretch calves deep calve stretch - standing on gutter or blocks - heel drop 2-3 inches then up to full contraction.

Sorry Ally you did ask....

Flexibility and stretch.
    Bryan, gadgetman, res and 1 others like this.

Aly
    Ahh I miss how in Nelson you were always only 2km or so from a hill haha, in CHCH it's like a decent 30 minutes on the bus from where I'm at to the hills Already planning to go out on a day tramp this sunday which would be good

Rowing machines are right up my ally!! Good tips for those since I haven't been rowing for awhile and convenient having a free gym membership !

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Hey ally,

I don't think you could go wrong with the following - boring as f$&@ but it gets the right specific systems stretched and cardio mix.

I'd be on the bike for cardio - time trial type on a trainer if you have one blocks 5 mins hard (and I mean hard 90to 100% of max) 3 mins easy x5 this build you CV threshold and will be great for connective tissue such as ligaments and muscle.

Core (the one every one forgets but almost as important) lower and mid abdominals and will also create balance for your legs and lungs...

Strength 10x20 squat walks I'll quad stretch and bend will build strength quad / hip flexor and build balance as well as well as strengthen connective tissue.

If you have a Swiss ball - 30 x 5 roll ups or crunches and 30 superman either on ball or floor opposite arm opposite leg.

Stretch calves deep calve stretch - standing on gutter or blocks - heel drop 2-3 inches then up to full contraction.

Sorry Ally you did ask....

Flexibility and stretch.
    Sounds like a bloody decent workout! But I like the sound of it

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Sounds like something I would have said at your age. Now I curse all the piss and pies of my youth

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Sounds like something I would have said at your age. Now I curse all the piss and pies of my youth
    I'm over the half century and only 3kg heavier than when I started high school. Body is absolutely knackered; out of shape and big reduction in muscle.

When I am able to move I'll go for a walk or a bike ride. Always found bike riding good for getting the ticker, intake and radiator systems working, the aim being to be barely able to walk when I got to where I was going.
    sako75 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Ahh I miss how in Nelson you were always only 2km or so from a hill haha, in CHCH it's like a decent 30 minutes on the bus from where I'm at to the hills Already planning to go out on a day tramp this sunday which would be good

Rowing machines are right up my ally!! Good tips for those since I haven't been rowing for awhile and convenient having a free gym membership !
    When I was your age I'd ride the bike to the hills (11km) run over the Bridle path to Lyttleton, then return. Was about 40mins each way. I've been to a gym one in my life.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I pretty much just go hunting. Work keeps me pretty fit too.

Fit and hill fit are two completely different things.
    outdoorlad, Dougie and Gibo like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.