Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Getting trailer galvanized or powdercoated

Getting trailer galvanized or powdercoated

I'm looking at building my own tandem trailer and trying to work out how much it's going to cost me.

Can anyone recommend a place that does powder coating or galvanizing in the Waikato or Auckland that does a good job for a reasonable price?
    I'm thinking galvanizing will be the way to go, but considering powder coating also.

Cheers

Definatly galvanising, there's a reason you don't see commercially produced powder coated trailers.

Unless you're building a custom trailer and can't get away with a commercially built trailer then I wouldn't bother, when you factor in you time it's just not worth it, unless you're getting the materials ridiculously cheap.

I guess using Ali is out of the question. My boat trailor is Ali except for the 2 Axel s. Very low maintainance
    veitnamcam likes this.

MSL
    Can't go past a heavy steel galvanised trailer, they can take a beating. Wouldn't say they require any more maintenance than an Ali trailer.

Perry in Hamilton for galvanize powder coat won't last and will chip off after time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Im building a custom size as what im after either doesn't exist or is insanely expensive.

Has anyone had anything galvanized, in that they can recommend someone, and give an idea on price?
    My father in law used perry in hamilton and said they didn't do a very good job on his job.

last time I got a trailer done it was around $2 or so per kg steel weight... in Christchurch...

Ring a Galv provider and ask...
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Im building a custom size as what im after either doesn't exist or is insanely expensive.

Has anyone had anything galvanized, in that they can recommend someone, and give an idea on price?
    My father in law used perry in hamilton and said they didn't do a very good job on his job.
    I am at the other end of the country but price wise down here was $3.95+GST per KG. My trailer was around the $600 mark to galv and is a custom size. (200 long, 1340 wide with 550mm sides.)

Depending on usage, I got the frame galv dipped, and used H4 timber for the deck (lined DPC between the timber and the galv to prevent corrosion) Wooden decks are quieter and cheaper to replace as needed. This also helped lower the cost as only the frame (all 120kg of it) was galved.

Definitely hot dip galv. Powder coating wont last 5min then you will have a rusty trailer.
    Price is based on kg. if you need to know the weight send me the lengths and sizes of the steel used and I will work it out for you.
    As far as finish goes, it is done to an A/NZ standard. You will still get it back looking like it has been dragged through the bottom of the bath.
    Phone around and get a price. CSP (rough as guts), Perry Metal Protection (not much better) have the larger baths. Depending on the size may still get double dipped

I'm looking at building my own tandem trailer and trying to work out how much it's going to cost me.

Can anyone recommend a place that does powder coating or galvanizing in the Waikato or Auckland that does a good job for a reasonable price?
    I'm thinking galvanizing will be the way to go, but considering powder coating also.

Cheers
    Definitely go with galvanising.
    I used to take my stuff for galvanising to Franklin Gates in Pukekohe but with Gallagher ownership they stopped doing off the street stuff. An outfit in Pukekohe now sends it to Hamilton rather than Auckland so have a look at who does galvanising in Hamilton. I know of one in Onehunga where a mate sent his boat trailer but surely Auckland is not an option? The last item I got done was a transport tray for a tractor. When I got it back I found they had done a Swiss cheese on me - drilled holes in any closed box section I had used. By closed I mean where I had welded caps over the ends of box section. Check with whoever you go with as to this requirement and then you can do it as you build.
    You could also do an enquiry with Kea Trailers to see who they use.

An outfit in Hastings does ours. They have a big bath so that it can be done in one dipping. I believe it's around 1.81. /kg. My last trailer was $410, that was with folded sides. Basically the whole trailer is steel apart from the floor. They collect from as far as Rotorua and I believe Hamilton as well. Their name escapes me, I'll have a look now.
    Dan M

How about arc spray? One of my tandem trailers has been done with it and it's lasting well, must be at least 12 years old.
    most of the steel work we get done around here is all arc spray as there are no hot dippers about.
    I've also got a tandem which I've had for 18yrs which was just painted with spray cans and still looks in good nick,

Holes are drilled in closed box section to prevent explosions from trapped moisture etc and to let zinc drain from inside the box section. The bath is round 400 degrees c. Dont fill any holes with bog either that goes badly.

The trailer is going to be about 5m long and 2m wide flat deck.
    I guess I'll try work out the weight and ring around for some prices.

Has anyone here other than @mikee who have had experience with aluminium trailers?
    Ali was something I looked at, as could potential save a bit of weight, and if can get my brother in law( a stainless steel welder) to weld it up, could get away from having to get it galvanized.
    The trailer is going to be big, but isn't going to be carrying a huge weight.

The trailer is going to be about 5m long and 2m wide flat deck.
    I guess I'll try work out the weight and ring around for some prices.

Has anyone here other than @mikee who have had experience with aluminium trailers?
    Ali was something I looked at, as could potential save a bit of weight, and if can get my brother in law( a stainless steel welder) to weld it up, could get away from having to get it galvanized.
    The trailer is going to be big, but isn't going to be carrying a huge weight.
    FWIW my trailer is a boat trailer, Length is 7.6m OAL (trailer) and built by same manufacturer as the boat. All their trailers supplied with their boats are alloy. I am guessing it was done to make the total package lighter (my boat , trailer and gear is 1900Kgs ready to go and full of fuel) and also cause boat trailers spend a lot of time in salt water. To be fair after 15 years of use the only signs of "bad stuff" were the disc brakes (steel) and bit of rust on the duratorques
    I have a customer with a boat trailer made from Stainless !!!