Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Giardia - Giardiasis

Giardia - Giardiasis

I have had a bad night - today not moving to far from the "small room"

Yesterday I was cutting a track on 1 of my bush/crap blocks and finished the day (day for me now is like 4 hours slog with a saw) near a very fresh flowing steam - usually a stream this time of year would only be a moist spot, but with over 2' of rain thus far 2018 - its flowing like mid Winter

So I guzzles a liter or 2 of it which tasted magnificent and heads on home (cheaper than Waikato - but oh wait theres more

So - you prob realize where this is heading - as in for me it was 3am - 5am going like a 3 stage Hamilton Jet unit sitting on a Howie porcelain

WHAT is the story Re Giardia

We draw ALL our home water off a creek behind us - we boil for coffee - tea etc as we all do - but for a juice mix its out of tap and into container blended with raspberries or whatever and drunk
    We have not had problems in near on 20 years

So why would another creek 1K away be infected (if it is Giardia) and not ours

Pigs move continually between both areas - so wouldn't they spread from one creek to the other ????

PS
    Before the "modern" drinking fraternity errupt

No - I did not have a Waikato when I got home and actually have not had 1 for over week - ah maybe there lies the problem

Usualy takes a bit longer for Giardia.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Usualy takes a bit longer for Giardia.
    You mean
    takes longer than 12-14 hours from intake of water to reaction
    I had at 1pm - so yea 14 yours

I got it travelling through South East Asia, had it for months and didn't even know I had till discovered by chance for a Medical check up for a job in the UK.
    Doc heard were I had being and said we should check for it.

Like Madjon said it sounds very quick from water in take to arse out take, sounds like something else to me .
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I got it travelling through South East Asia, had it for months and didn't even know I had till discovered by chance for a Medical check up for a job in the UK.
    Doc heard were I had being and said we should check for it.

Like Madjon said it sounds very quick from water in take to arse out take, sounds like something else to me .
    Must be stress :-)
    Thanks guys - made me think other angles

I OK now - had a light soup for lunch as 1st feed - and "touch wood" no issues yet

giardia has the ability to alter your internal plumbing to directly connect your mouth to your butt. nasty stuff !!
    a force 10 vindaloo will do the same job as well as turning your bum into a japanese flag
    Maca49, 300CALMAN and xtightg like this.

SiB
    The calm of this Tuesday has been torn assunder with the colourful and poetic excretions of such a delicate matter.

I shall never look at the Japanese flag the same way again.
    timattalon and Blisters like this.

Had a dose a few years ago,cost me a new bed and bedding.I couldnt squeeze tight enough,it just ran out.Sleeping on a sheet of ply in the end.Took ages to come right.
    Maca49 and Blisters like this.

You burping Rotorua? Smelly eggs. Get a bowel and chatch a sample. Yes a bowel don't try to squirt into one of those test tubes the doctor gives you......you might end up covering more than the target area
    Then take that down to the doctors. Plenty of fluid in. But don't muck with it if it is as it can stay with you for years get it treated asap!
    Hope it's just a case of the squirts buddy.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

if it was your creek the other members of household would be squirting in the sink or bath while you in throne room.... diastop medication also known as immodium is awesome stuff really awesome BUT be aware and read label....as soon as you dont need it STOP taking it as the first movement afterwards will be like a red house brick and no easier to push out..
    a dose of the squirts sure makes one of those wee drinking straw filter thinggies look cheap..... good luck and dont be afraid of good old vasso to stop the burning.
    keep up your fluid intake as you are loosing more than you can put in.
    veitnamcam and Sarvo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if it was your creek the other members of household would be squirting in the sink or bath while you in throne room.... diastop medication also known as immodium is awesome stuff really awesome BUT be aware and read label....as soon as you dont need it STOP taking it as the first movement afterwards will be like a red house brick and no easier to push out..
    a dose of the squirts sure makes one of those wee drinking straw filter thinggies look cheap..... good luck and dont be afraid of good old vasso to stop the burning.
    keep up your fluid intake as you are loosing more than you can put in.
    Good advice there....I periodicly get bad bouts myself(been tested for Giardia couple times but no not that)

I dont go on any trip without Imodium just in case and it gets used more often than id like.
    stingray and Sarvo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

shit happens.
    stingray and Maca49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CATLINS HUNTER View Post
    shit happens.
    it doesnt JUST HAPPEN its caused by arseholes......lol

Geeze I had the shits in London in 2007, nearly under control, fcuking Hare Pie in SoHo!! Dragged on a bit!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Sounds like a bit of over exertion and a bug ...cold shakes then hot sweats ? ...I get this now and again hits me like a tank leaves me weak and hopeless ...shivering then sweating...then a day of rest and I'm able to drink boiled water then a day or two before solids..

Hope your on the road to recovery! Have found as I get older my body doesn't like sudden bursts of physical ( extreme activity ) ..seems to go into a type of shock where , my bodies goes into a safe working mode ...empty bowel guts the works ...then reboots wanting water fruit and light grub .... so I have to work into a weekend of exertion rather than fly into it at the drop of a hat like I did in my 20s 30s.
    WallyR and Sarvo like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!