Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: GOLD

GOLD

Lets talk about gold.
    Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  318.4 KB

Some of you have read my gold threads in the past and I wonder why I wrote them. Was I trying to sell gold? Why would you bother. Gold is money. Why try sell money? On the other hand, you are far less likely to find a river bank stuffed full of $100 notes. Lets dodge the politics of gold, for there is plenty. It is in competition with the managed currencies we all use day to day.

There is gold in them there hills, and it is good fun looking for it and even more fun finding it. It is lovely stuff. If you have never held some, I recommend trying it. I have found >1 million ounces of the stuff, not that any of that came my way. Nice to be in that very small club though.

Physical gold is in very very short physical supply. While production (and demand) is at all time highs, mines are getting very tired and there has been very little discovery. We already know the future gold supply and it is sweet FA. Discovery rates fell off a cliff years ago.

The US dollar and the NZ dollar and gold all trade within a tight range, they have done for years. When the NZ dollar is at the top of that range, or gold is at the bottom of its range, I buy gold. By doing this, I have been beating every investment index for years. Pity I don't have any real cash to invest. It sits in a lawyers escrow account and I doubt I will ever see it again.

To buy it gold in NZ, you go here.
    https://www.nzmint.com/bullion
    Cal them and they will quote you a spot price and you have an hour to accept it. Pay online and the gold will arrive by courier.

If I won lotto (unlikely as I don't play lotto) I would spend the money on adventuring. Now, gold will pay for adventuring, with the added bonus you might just do better than lotto. The odds are not in your favor, but with hard work and cunning at least they can be swing in your favor. Why is this relevant on an NZ hunting forum?

What kind of people post on hunting forums? People who's brain works. They get bored, they have a week to wait till their next hunt, they end up here. Other people are watching America has talent. About 5 million people are watching Gold Rush Alaska, an entirely fictional TV show. As far as I can tell either can't mine, or massively overstate their extraction costs. I think both.

There is the New Zealand factor. I have worked in exploration with Americans, Canadians, Australians, Brits, South Africans, Romanians, Egyptians, Ethiopians, Sudanis, and Indonesians and a Swede. No where else in the world will you find slightly geeky, energetic outdoorsmen in the quantity you will in New Zealand. When you get in the real bush, the Kiwis have a ball while those from more urban/sane places just try to survive. Only in New Zealand do people do the kind of off trail exploring we do for fun, and then it is only common in the hunting community. Crawling around in the bad bush looking for things is a uniquely Kiwi passtime, from a cultural perspective. Other countries do it, but they make a lot of drama.

Many moons ago I used to recruit from the forum.

People tell me this is very good. I have watched most of it but he lost me at Bitcoin. Amusing, well made and mostly true. If you are new to this stuff it is ideal. You don't have to listen to the doom and gloom predictions.

If you want a slightly less autistic and more mainstream investment focussed version, try these

And the sequel

It is 2019 and when dealing with a 6000 year old unit of exchange, patience is often rewarded. When I found my million ounces I did it in a way that at the time was considered so bizarre it just upset people (you guys know me so this should come as no surprise). Like a hole through the bullseye, I had actual hits that could not be argued with. Not being able to argue REALLY upsets people. Roll on seven years and the hot new thing to get into is the stuff I was doing 15 years ago. There are all of about 5 of us who can actually do it. It can be bad to be stubborn and it can be bad to be contrarian but it can be a lot worse when you are wrong.

Check these guys out
    https://www.klgold.com/assets/operat...e/default.aspx
    Who are the geos actually making this happen? You will never know, because the board has a vested interest in making sure you never find out. Mark Twain had it right. A mine is a hole in the ground with a liar standing next to it. The liar is trying to make sure you never talk directly to the geo.
    Creeper likes this.

So where's the gold at?
    I had a teacher at school who used to dive for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    So where's the gold at?
    I had a teacher at school who used to dive for it.
    Gold is where you find it. "Where is the gold" has always yielded poor results in my experience. A better approach is to put money on the bar and shift the topic of conversation to old mines. There are a lot more old mines in farmers memories than there are in the mines department records.
    Creeper likes this.

When I started at my current job one the guys who was about to leave asked if he could weigh some gold he had found. He proceeded to pull out about a dozen small nuggets he had got from his claim on the West Coast.
    When I was at Uni we did a few trips to Martha mine. The guys there told us their richest ore was the old back fill in the mine tunnels.

Timings a bit poor to go looking for the stuff when doc are shutting down conservation land and nzpam are raising permit fee,s but I guess you are looking for holes not gold ! , what part of the country are you in ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Hi Tussocks,
    Did you watch the ballad of buster Scruggs on Netflix? The way the old gold digger was finding his gold in the valley was interesting.
    But it might be just Hollywood fantasy, as I know nothing about gold digging
    Snowgrass and tanqueray like this.

Name:  gold.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  8.3 KB
    kotuku, Tommy, 300CALMAN and 8 others like this.

I have been having great fun looking over the last couple of years, and a claim owner has taken me under his wing so I have been learning heaps. So far my finds have been very small (maybe enough to buy a couple of pints, but a long way to go to recover my set-up and diesel costs) but every speck gives me more encouragement. I will be back out this week!
    viper, berg243, Tussock and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I have been having great fun looking over the last couple of years, and a claim owner has taken me under his wing so I have been learning heaps. So far my finds have been very small (maybe enough to buy a couple of pints, but a long way to go to recover my set-up and diesel costs) but every speck gives me more encouragement. I will be back out this week!

Cant buy a Pint in NZ...not allowed
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Come hither my wee flightless friend. I will take you to the KKK pub and furnish you with a pint of the worlds finest beer.
    viper likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Come hither my wee flightless friend. I will take you to the KKK pub and furnish you with a pint of the worlds finest beer.
    Speights way up there? I'll be buggered

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Speights way up there? I'll be buggered

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    They do, but they also have a spigot off the urinal for Willy's patrons
    R93, Beaker and 300CALMAN like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Huh?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Huh?
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=10747816
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

wouldn't mind having a small claim to have some fun prospecting and even the chance of recovering money spent on a hobby.
    sako75, Woody and Tussock like this.