Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Good deed for the day thread

Good deed for the day thread

Purpose of this thread is to promote the notion of doing good things for one another.

This afternoon in the shop, I was perusing the aisles for laundry powder when an old gent walks slowly down and asked, to nobody in particular it seemed as he wasn't looking at me, "know where the clothes pegs are?"

I turned to look at him, it's interesting how much information you can capture about a person at a simple glance. He was well dressed, not high street threads but neat, shoes clean, good posture and quite burly for an old dude - my eyes catch the faded pin on the jacket of his lapel - it's a South Korea / New Zealand flag. Everything adds up and I immediately suspect he is a Korean War veteran - definitely the right vintage. Anyway, I didn't think it polite to attempt to confirm my suspicions and besides, the guy was after some clothes pegs, not a life chat.

I knew that they were in the aisle we were in so I told him that they were "probably over there mate" and motioned in the general area, he moved over to where I'd indicated and I figured he'd pick them pretty quick but he just stood there looking puzzled. I came over and told him I'd have a look as he was getting his goggles out of the case - lo and behold no pegs. WTF - I'd just bought a big bag of them the other week?

Now he's getting a little embarrassed in the "I don't want to be a pain" type... I told him to hold on for a second and that I'd get a staff member for him, got the guy who does the trolleys and well, he couldn't find them either and was equally confused as to where they'd gone.

I got another staff member who came and eventually found them nestled behind some other shit - anyway I retrieved two types of pegs, the ones with two parts and a spring that you pinch together to open and then the OG ones that you ram down on top of the line (in bright pink). He looks at them both carefully trying to decide which ones is better and eventually settles on the traditional type ones (in bright pink).

I put the other packets back for him - he thanks me and told me he really appreciated my help, could see the gratitude in his eyes. Told him it was no problem, happy to help.

Anyway, 3 minutes of finding clothes pegs for an old man was the highlight of my day.
    puku, jakewire, sako75 and 18 others like this.

Its weird the buzz you get from being randomly nice to a stranger
    stingray and Carpe Diem like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Thats just normal GC behavior bro
    puku, Pointer, Pengy and 2 others like this.

Good stuff @Ryan
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I observed one that I will remember for a number of reasons. I work in a business that has multiple venues and departments within it, and at the time a staff of around 500-600 people. I was supervising the area I was responsible for and the CEO no less had walked onto the floor to see what was happening and look around. (He does that quite a bit so not thing unusual yet) He was having a brief chat to me, my manager, and a security person when an elderly lady approaches, clearly looking for someone / something. She asks the group where the dining area is as she went for a walk and cannot find her way back to her husband. The CEO talks to her quietly and does his best to find out which dining area she thinks she may have been in. He then holds out this arm and walks with her through the areas looking for her husband. He would have been well with in his authority to ask any of us senior staff to do this for him and we all would have happily, but he did not even consider passing it down. He just saw this as something that needed doing and did it.

This is always stuck in my mind even many years later as how our CEO led by example and while he was not specifically doing it to be or show an example, it was a clear indication as to the type of business he wanted us to be.

As a side not, it is the only business I know of that even though most of the offices / admin are off site in an admin building, he has his own CEO office right be side the staff room and we frequently see him in there with us on breaks and at meal times having a chat.
    puku, mikee, Ryan and 3 others like this.

I get coffee every morning at the Kofi Stop in Bethlehem. It's the most un PC meeting of my day! Guy came in while I was there today and was wound up about an ongoing audit at his work. He was charged with doing a "Rubber Band " audit at his work place to ensure none got into the product. He had this officist woman giving him shit. He said he'd had enough and actually told her he couldn't believe she kissed her mother with her god awful lips! The cafe owner offer him a cake to take to her as a peace offering, he replied the bitch is fat enough! The good deed of the day was by another patron getting a coffee who as the guy left called out in all sincerity "you have a great day" I nearly pissed myself
    puku, Angus_A and Tommy like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I usually take home as much leftovers from work as i can when i do nights as there's several homeless people (some quite young too, scary) on the walk home.
    Probably the only consistent 'good deed' thing i do.
    I dunno if it's much of a good deed but my flatmate's sister is staying here for a few days with her 7 year old nephew, he's from waaaaay up north and doesn't have internet access or a computer so playing games on my computer was pretty exciting to him. Being an IT student i have several containers of pc parts for my practicals. So right now i'm building him a computer to take home with a couple games he seems to enjoy on the hard drive.
    gadgetman, mikee, Maca49 and 3 others like this.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Just about to leave the supermarket parking area when the driver of the vehicle in front of me emptied the trolley and got in to start her vehicle...the battery was flat...I always have jumper leads in the ute so I got out and said I could help her...so I lift the bonnets of both vehicles and instruct her when to turn on the ignition in her vehicle...you know how it goes...I took the leads off and suggested she just stay there with the engine running for five minutes or so to build up the ergs...she did not do that but backed out and went off without saying a thing...my reaction to her non reaction to my good deed surprized me...I just whispered "you're welcome"...
    P38, veitnamcam, Pointer and 5 others like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

hahahahaha yeah right Eee Bees
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Last time I came back from fishing two guys were fishing from land were I launch the dingy, asked how they were going and they had only caught two spotties.
    Gave them two flounder each and when I got home Mikee had dropped off some tins of chillie tuna
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Just about to leave the supermarket parking area when the driver of the vehicle in front of me emptied the trolley and got in to start her vehicle...the battery was flat...I always have jumper leads in the ute so I got out and said I could help her...so I lift the bonnets of both vehicles and instruct her when to turn on the ignition in her vehicle...you know how it goes...I took the leads off and suggested she just stay there with the engine running for five minutes or so to build up the ergs...she did not do that but backed out and went off without saying a thing...my reaction to her non reaction to my good deed surprized me...I just whispered "you're welcome"...
    Good On Ya @EeeBees

Some people are so wrapped up in themselves they hardly notice that they share this planet with 7 billion other people.

Cheers
    Pete
    Dundee and EeeBees like this.

Was at the local cafe buying lunch, young chippie guy didn't have enough money for his pie and coke, transaction kept getting declined, and he was getting very embarrassed. So I put my order on the counter and paid for the lot. Still feels nice helping people out from time to time, but I refuse to give money to people begging outside supermarkets.

On a side note, we were at the supermarket the other day, a young kid banged into my partner when he was running around. His mother grabbed him, told him off and told him to apologise to the lady he bumped in to - "don't say sorry to me, go and say sorry to that lady". He did, then she made him do it again, louder, so she could hear. The poor mum was frazzled with 3 kids running around but still had enough time, and the right attitude, to teach her young kid manners.

What goes around comes around. And wankers attract wankers
    puku, veitnamcam, Dundee and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Had similar one morning when I was doing my apprentship course. Gave up my seat on the buse for a pregnant woman?
    Ok you all say so what most of us would do that right.
    The abuse I got from her...she called me a chauvinistic pig really ranted?
    Woman behind us just said its alright son where not all like her.
    So good deep yes shat on yep but still made me feel pretty good thinking back on it.
    Now would I do it again? Always!
    jakewire, EeeBees, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

Just gave away another feed of fresh flounder ☺

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    EeeBees and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Just gave away another feed of fresh flounder ☺

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Man you catch a lot of flounder! Been years since I ate one, much flatfish envy