Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: grain harvest work in australia

grain harvest work in australia

Thinking about looking into tractor driving work towing grain bins over in australia for the wheat harvest anyone else from here worked with harvesting companies in AUS? things aren't working out for me getting work so I may as well look over seas and fuck off for a few months and try to earn some decent money if I can find a job to go to.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Yeah I've got a couple contacts. If you're a hard worker with machinery experience, don't mind roughing it, I could probably pass on some contact details for the guys I worked for over there.

I definitely have got tractor experience worked on dairy farms for a good number of years I am keen to be trained in driving combines but for now I am just happy to get a job driving a tractor which I am confident in doing. I am used to John deere, case/McCormick and the older model New Holland tractors with the oddball gear selector set up. and yes I work my arse off for every cent I earn, don't mind roughing it as long as I do not wind up with snakes in my bloody sleeping bag!!!!!
    Dougie likes this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Best of luck, Hunter
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

The other thing I have been trying to find out is if I have paid tax over there to the aussie government do I have to pay IRD back here any tax on what I have already earned and been taxed on in aussie, can't seem to get any sense out of the IRD site or google on that.

As long as those spiders stay the heck away from me I will be right, I hate the damn things and will not hesitate in stomping them to death lol.

Thanks for that info Tussock much appreciated.

I'll sort a couple of numbers for you when I get time (next couple of days). The guys I worked for were good cats. They only employ kiwis and europeans, and avoid employing seasonal aussie workers! Haha. I had no header driving experience when I went over, but had plenty of hours on dozers, skidders, diggers, tractors and trucks. So got there and they stuck me on a header, did two runs with me and let me go for gold! Pretty trusting fellas.

Boss paid us two different rates, operating rate and downtime/workshop/maintenance rate. There was always something to do if we weren't harvesting (usually due to weather) so it was up to us to work in the workshop if we wanted to make coin. A good mate and myself lived in a caravan for a month, stripped down two wrecked john deere headers (one rolled, one burnt) and rebuilt a good one out of the two. We had it up and running in a month, the boss wasnt expecting it to be going until the following season so we got a nice bonus. When we were harvesting we were often a long way from town or base, so swagged it for a couple of nights, came into town to clean ourselves up and get some more food, then went back out. We slept on the roofs of our machines, or on the front belts a few times. Boss paid for accomodation/or owned it, work clothes, and lunch and dinner. We had to pay for booze, snacks and anything else we wanted.

You need an Aussie bank account, a tax number and a super fund number, which I think is organised at the bank if I remember rightly. Boss gave us all the forms and we filled them in and he sorted the rest. We used his home address for all our documentation,that way everything went there and his wife sorted it for us and gave us anything important. After coming back to NZ I got in contact with a Aussie tax agent and they sorted my tax back, I got a few grand back which was a nice bonus.

Insurance wise, most of us kiwis had some, some didnt. My best mate and I had Southern Cross insurance. He blew his appendix out hafway through a job on a station in the middle of inland Queensland and was flown to hospital and operated on. Didn't cost him anything.

Regarding the snakes and spiders. Yep saw plenty. It was recommended that we didn't get out of our machines during the night shift if we had a break down, until the service truck arrived with plenty of lights. Haha. Didnt really stop us though, some of the guys spent a bit of time running around paddocks chasing snakes. We spent a bit of time chasing pigs and young emus too. Hard case. Saw plenty of spiders too. You just learn to check your boots before putting them on, and shaking out clothes/sleeping bags before getting into them. You dont really think about it to be honest, unless you're petrefied of them.

Good way to see the country. The main run we did covered inland QLD, NSW, Vic and TAS. Met some awesome guys over there and made plenty of friends.

Thanks for that Josh yeah I am an arachnophobe never been around snakes so will just give them a wide birth. Got one application in with North-Hill but I will not get my hopes up the more people I can apply to the better it will be for me so I will stand by and wait for you to get back to me. I was looking into bank accounts last night and thought commonwealth bank may be a go as they own ASB and can take documentation into them to be emailed to Commonwealth bank, I did look into OZ forex but minimum tranfer amounts needed to be $2k and over as I will be wanting to send money home every pay day for child support, bills and some money to help the missus out . Been researching this hard as it is a big decision to make including not being near the missus for a few months and not being able to see my son. All that aside I need to go and do it to get some bills paid plus it will be good for me to have a break way from this country and if I like it I would go back again to work there.

In spring there are Brown snakes EVERYWHERE. I would see at least 5 a day.

Always use a smaller, independent accountant when doing your tax refund.

These guys love hanging around grain sheds (spotted python)

P38
    Hunter308

ASB will sort you out an Ozzie bank account this side of tasman.

Quote Originally Posted by the kid View Post
    In spring there are Brown snakes EVERYWHERE. I would see at least 5 a day.

Always use a smaller, independent accountant when doing your tax refund.

These guys love hanging around grain sheds (spotted python)

Bugger that I won't be pickin any of those bloody things up.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Hunter308

ASB will sort you out an Ozzie bank account this side of tasman.
    Commonwealth bank owns ASB I have already decided that I would go through them. I had a phone call today asking me if I could be there by monday to start a ground cultivation job had to say no due to not having passport sorted yet was asked to stay in touch and let them know when I have my passport arrive in the mail so they can keep an eye out for a job for me.

308, it is going back nearly 20 years or so for me, but at that time there was plenty of jobs around for the cultivation, probably more than for harvesting, although the harvesting can go for longer. Not sure if one paid better than the other.

Tussock, what bugged you about the BOQ? ANZ over there would be one of my last picks.

Interesting, horses for courses I guess. My experience with all the things you mention was the opposite.

I'm with Bank of Queensland and I'm fairly certain they're the worst bank in the world. Avoid at all costs.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 20-09-2012, 02:06 PM