Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

The Great Xmas Cook Off 2011

Over the last few years the old man and me have had a wild food cooking competition for Xmas eve. The winner gets a crate of Tui

It's pretty cruisy, although the old boy seems to take it very seriously, and i have to be careful he doesn't sabotage my food or bribe the judges

Last year was a pork dish and this year was to be venison.

The old man turned up with a large Sika topside and a cardboard box full of top secret ingredients that were rattling around.

I had brought out the big guns for this and had saved the good end of a large red back steak

From what i gathered, the old boy coated the whole topside in crushed garlic, and left it to cool to room temp. Then he seared it in a very hot frying pan and finished it off in a hot oven. He deglazed the pan with red wine then made a simple sauce using beef stock, a bit of jam, salt and pepper and a bit more red wine.

He let it rest then cut the topside into large steaks.
    Name:  DSC_0253.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  28.5 KB

I was secretly hoping Dads would be to overpowering with the garlic, but i could hear the people outside getting stuck in and they sounded very impressed

I took the back steak and cut it into 6 pieces, then i butterflied each piece and formed them into neat medallions which i wrapped up in prosciutto. Bit of pepper and olive oil, and left out the salt due to using the prosciutto.
    Name:  DSC_0159.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  31.7 KB

I cooked them using a very hot cast iron searing pan for 2 mins each side, then rested them on a warm plate while i deglazed the pan with red wine, and made a sauce using the flash pre-prepared glaze from european gourmet that i picked up at the farmers market

I put the medallions on the plate and put a spoonful of cranberry jelly on top of each one, then poured over the sauce and had a well deserved beer
    Name:  DSC_0248.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  47.6 KB

Now i should say at this point that no one ever wins these cook offs. We end up drinking each others crates and sitting back talking about how lucky we are to live in this Country

The moral of this story is that if two half pissed amateurs can cook decent tasting wild food anyone surly can

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Didnt you watch Master Chef NZ?
    Cameron's motto " if you dont know what you're doing, wrap it in bacon"

Looks good - hungry now..

Farken good work boys
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Ejected
    Looks good

Yum
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.